Failed the psych test- sent to a shrink

CHann

Has anyone ever failed the psych test and been sent to speak with an FAA approved shrink? I just got a letter in the mail saying I need to make an appointment with this shrink and he will report his findings back to the FAA.

Anyone else?

This has happened to quite a few people on here, including myself. There have been a couple posts about this subject here is the most recent I remember http://forums.jetcareers.com/applic...refs-annoucements/78781-failed-mmpi-pepc.html. Basically you go to the shrink and they will ask you a series of questions, which I think may vary depending on your previous MMPI, and you have to retake the full MMPI and another test. All together I think it was close to 1000 questions. When you are done the shrink sends the results to the FAA and it turns into a waiting game. Most of the people I have seen on here that have had this happen have gone through. It really just sucks having to wait because it takes a long time to get cleared.

This is what I've learned from the people who are in charge of the MMPI results. With this test there is a certain range of results which has a "normal" range based on a national average." Since the mass hiring began, they have discovered that some of the people who are already air traffic controllers who retook the test don't quite fit this "national average." They are somewhat "bouncier," which is how the lady explained it to me. (not quite sure what that means.)

She said that if they calculated the data based on the national average, a lot of the controllers who retook the test wouldn't have passed when they first applied, yet oddly enough they turned into great controllers. This resulted in the FAA having to re-evaluate the end results from those who take the MMPI.

After Basics, they had my entire class retake a bunch of psych tests, including the MMPI. They will use the results of my class & all the other classes there to come up with a new "ATC average," which is supposed make it so those "bouncer" people who take the test don't get flagged & have to see a shrink.

So anyway, my whole point is don't feel bad if you have to retake the test & see a shrink. This is probably because you are bouncier than the norm & they are still in the middle of re-evaluating the end results of the test.

I appreciate the info Mr. Fent. All the hard stuff that I thought I might have difficulty with has gone very well. All of a sudden they're like, "you're crazy!". This process has been a nightmare. It makes me sad that the supply is great enough that people can be treated so poorly. I am obviously not referring only to the MMPI.

I appreciate the info Mr. Fent. All the hard stuff that I thought I might have difficulty with has gone very well. All of a sudden they're like, "you're crazy!". This process has been a nightmare. It makes me sad that the supply is great enough that people can be treated so poorly. I am obviously not referring only to the MMPI.

The supply isn't great at all, thus why they plan on hiring through 2017 (I believe). What is lacking in this process is enough HR reps to handle all of us who have applied. Keep your head up and just be patient your date in OKC will come.

Out of curiosity... I was one of the ones that failed the psych part as well. I was sent to the psychiatrist on the 18th of march... She cleared me (or said that I was perfectly normal and was going to clear me)... Any of you who have had this happen have any idea how long it usually takes to hear anything afterward? I've cleared all my other evaluations... Any input on this would definitely put my mind at ease.

Back