Failed Color Tests...Alternate Career(s)?

xECKSx58

Hey guys. I've known I was colorblind since I was a child, but I only just discovered it was a relatively severe color deficiency a couple weeks ago when I went to go take all of the alternate tests (Dvorine, FALANT, OPTEC(?) ) and unfortunately failed them all. I've also always wanted to be a pilot since I was a child (since about 5 years old) and never thought of a plan b because I thought I'd be able to pass an alternate test with no issues. Now, I know I can still take an OCVT, but I don't think I'll pass that either because it's tough for me to distinguish between the blue and magenta on VFR charts (thinking about studying a VFR chart to see if I can get better at it though).
Anyway, now since I can't become a professional pilot I need to find an alternate career. Right now I'm thinking aircraft mechanic, but I'm not 100% on that just yet. My main question is: do you need good color vision to become a mechanic? My other question is: I love to travel and was hoping to find a career traveling (one of the reasons I wanted to be a pilot), could you help me brainstorm some good careers that involve traveling (internationally)?

Thanks in advance

Hey guys. I've known I was colorblind since I was a child, but I only just discovered it was a relatively severe color deficiency a couple weeks ago when I went to go take all of the alternate tests (Dvorine, FALANT, OPTEC(?) ) and unfortunately failed them all. I've also always wanted to be a pilot since I was a child (since about 5 years old) and never thought of a plan b because I thought I'd be able to pass an alternate test with no issues. Now, I know I can still take an OCVT, but I don't think I'll pass that either because it's tough for me to distinguish between the blue and magenta on VFR charts (thinking about studying a VFR chart to see if I can get better at it though).
Anyway, now since I can't become a professional pilot I need to find an alternate career. Right now I'm thinking aircraft mechanic, but I'm not 100% on that just yet. My main question is: do you need good color vision to become a mechanic? My other question is: I love to travel and was hoping to find a career traveling (one of the reasons I wanted to be a pilot), could you help me brainstorm some good careers that involve traveling (internationally)?

Thanks in advance

Airline Management, son. It's all black and white to them.

Seriously though, I am sorry to hear about your test results.

Considered spending some time as a Loadmaster in the service? Maybe not a "career" (at least not for some people), but you certainly get to fly around the world in airplanes. Rather a lot. Maybe too much!

How old are you? If you say under 25, I'd say go to college and figure it out along the way. Color vision derailed my flight dreams, but now I work in airport management and get to be around airplanes all day, come home to my kids, and cash a very generous paycheck.

If you haven't been to college yet just worry about that. You might change your mind 1,000. If you love to travel any type of management job with an airline will give you great travel benefits. I know a guy who works at DL in ATL HQ and every Friday he packs a bag and before leaving work he looks up loads and decides where he wants to go. He's always traveling.

My other question is: I love to travel and was hoping to find a career traveling (one of the reasons I wanted to be a pilot), could you help me brainstorm some good careers that involve traveling (internationally)?

Thanks in advance

Federal Air Marshal

I'm 20, turning 21 in December. I have an Associates now, was going to get a Bachelor's in Aviation but 3 weeks into the semester I found out I couldn't pass, so I withdrew from classes.

I'm 20, turning 21 in December. I have an Associates now, was going to get a Bachelor's in Aviation but 3 weeks into the semester I found out I couldn't pass, so I withdrew from classes.
Any other interests besides aviation?

How old are you? If you say under 25, I'd say go to college and figure it out along the way. Color vision derailed my flight dreams, but now I work in airport management and get to be around airplanes all day, come home to my kids, and cash a very generous paycheck.

Most of us would kill for Murdoughnut's job.

Color blindness won't keep you from being a pilot (daylight VFR only), or a glider pilot. Which is most of the flying I do these days.

Did you actually apply for a medical rather than take those tests in preparation for a medical for which you didn't actually apply yet? Please say no...

-Fox

I'd have someone take you on a quick lap or two around the pattern and get light gun signals. If you can differentiate those, I think there's hope.

From what I understand they're not so concerned that you can look at a color and say, "yep that's green", more that you can look at red and green(and the other more rare colorblindnesses) and say, that one is red, and that one is not red so it must be green.

You should also contact The flight surgeon on here(ask a flight surgeon) if you haven't already. From everything I've read he really knows his stuff.

I'd have someone take you on a quick lap or two around the pattern and get light gun signals. If you can differentiate those, I think there's hope.

From what I understand they're not so concerned that you can look at a color and say, "yep that's green", more that you can look at red and green(and the other more rare colorblindnesses) and say, that one is red, and that one is not red so it must be green.

You should also contact The flight surgeon on here(ask a flight surgeon) if you haven't already. From everything I've read he really knows his stuff.

I have a color vision waiver. The problem isn't red/green for me. It's the green/white. Many people have a tough time with green vs white because the intensity is nearly the same. The red looks dim, so it's easy to differentiate from the other two.

I did the signal gun test in Columbia, SC and was issued a waiver. I couldn't pass any of the other methods, and I did try them all.

I understand the process is more difficult now, but I'm not too familiar with what has changed.

I failed my color vision test way back in the day too. If I look at the Ishihara "dot test" plates I can only see 1 or 2 out of all of them. I'm "red/green" color blind. All that means is certain blends/patterns are hard to discern. I can make out colors fine in most situations. I passed my SODA test easily with a visit to the FSDO where they had the tower shoot light gun signals at me. It literally took a few minutes of actual testing and I have a SODA that is good for life. I'm not sure the process is now days. I also agree with @PhilosopherPilot in that the trickiest part is distinguishing white and green lights. If I see an airport beacon I need to see both lights in series and then I can tell you which is green and which is white because I'll pick up the greenish hints in the halo and the white will actually be more amber, but it's tricky at first glance. Things like nav lights are very obvious though.

Back