Failed Color Tests...Alternate Career(s)?

Hey guys. I've known I was colorblind since I was a child, but I only just discovered it was a relatively severe color deficiency a couple weeks ago when I went to go take all of the alternate tests (Dvorine, FALANT, OPTEC(?) ) and unfortunately failed them all. I've also always wanted to be a pilot since I was a child (since about 5 years old) and never thought of a plan b because I thought I'd be able to pass an alternate test with no issues. Now, I know I can still take an OCVT, but I don't think I'll pass that either because it's tough for me to distinguish between the blue and magenta on VFR charts (thinking about studying a VFR chart to see if I can get better at it though).
Anyway, now since I can't become a professional pilot I need to find an alternate career. Right now I'm thinking aircraft mechanic, but I'm not 100% on that just yet. My main question is: do you need good color vision to become a mechanic? My other question is: I love to travel and was hoping to find a career traveling (one of the reasons I wanted to be a pilot), could you help me brainstorm some good careers that involve traveling (internationally)?

Thanks in advance

Mechanics are in demand, but if you want to travel, that means being an airline mechanic. You'll be working graveyard shift pretty much your entire career.

Did you actually apply for a medical rather than take those tests in preparation for a medical for which you didn't actually apply yet? Please say no...

-Fox
No, I got my medical first.

In order to get a SODA for Class 3 you need to look at the light gun signals AND differentiate between magenta and blue on VFR charts, which is tough for me.

For Class 2/1 you need to take a flight and point out certain colors (need to tell the FAA examiner who is with you when he asks "what color is that").

I've done quite a bit of research.

Thanks for the input so far guys

In order to get a SODA for Class 3 you need to look at the light gun signals AND differentiate between magenta and blue on VFR charts, which is tough for me.

So go try it. It's not going to cost you anything more than your time and in the worst case you're no worse off than you are right now.

Any other interests besides aviation?
Yes, I'd love to be a racecar driver, and I'm good enough to do it* but I don't have the budget to get started.

*I know I'm good enough because my friend races in a professional series and is a very good driver and he says that I'm very similar in terms of skill to him. Anyone wanna lend me 200 grand? lol

Sounds like maybe you should go to college, if just community college, and explore some more realistic career options.

Yes, I'd love to be a racecar driver, and I'm good enough to do it* but I don't have the budget to get started.

*I know I'm good enough because my friend races in a professional series and is a very good driver and he says that I'm very similar in terms of skill to him. Anyone wanna lend me 200 grand? lol
Ahh yes. That would be my ultimate dream job. I said it in another thread but if I could go back to when I was 7-8 years old I would have tried to get into carting.
I've already done that. I have an associates
If you want to work management for an airline or airport you should really look into getting a 4 year degree.

That was my dream as well. I was going to be in the Red Bull drivers search but I was a few months old to enter one of the events.

If I were you I would continue your education in an airport or airline management program.

Ahh yes. That would be my ultimate dream job. I said it in another thread but if I could go back to when I was 7-8 years old I would have tried to get into carting.

If you want to work management for an airline or airport you should really look into getting a 4 year degree.

That's right! You have too much money... it needs to go to someone else.

Don't know what you're interested in? Don't know what you want to do? Go to college! You'll come out the other side feeling pretty much the same, but you can put everything on credit, so you don't have to get a job in the meanwhile.

-Fox
(NB. My opinion? Don't go to college unless you have an idea of what you want to do, at least in general, or unless you get a free ride or something. Otherwise you're just flushing money down the toilet.)

That was my dream as well. I was going to be in the Red Bull drivers search but I was a few months old to enter one of the events.

If I were you I would continue your education in an airport or airline management program.

I dont know anything about racing, but I had dinner a few nights ago with the manager of the Stateline Speedway. He said the top racers now are usually teens because most of them have been driving since they were about 6 years old, so by the time they are 15-16 years old they already have a decade of racing experience. The winner of their Super Stock series last year was a 15 year old girl. He said the joke with the teams always was "well we beat everyone except for the 15 year old girl, so that's pretty good!".

Back