FAA Says OTS is only 2-5% of New Hires

GeorgeM

From the FAA Employees website (Your Two Cents):

"Jim Trinka, director of ATO's technical training and development, responds: CTI graduates have a huge advantage. If they complete their program, get recommended to us by their school, and pass the AT-SAT test, they can apply under our CTI graduate job announcement. Over the past five years, we've hired 75 percent of all CTI graduates, and the rate is even higher the past couple of years. If you apply under the general public announcement, your application is literally one among thousands, and the hiring rate is in the neighborhood of 2 to 5 percent. The selection panels usually grab the former military packages first, the CTI grads next, and then finally, the general public. Believe me, a CTI graduation ticket is a huge leg up over the average general-public candidate. And we always do our best to put the right people in the right place at the right time.] "

Edit: Maybe this post belongs in the "Application Process" sub-forum.

It sounds like he's saying that 2-5% of people who apply OTS are hired, not that OTS applicants make up 2-5% of the total new hires. I guess that could be right, considering that people are weeded out of the process at quite a few different levels, especially if they're impatient or find another job they want in the year it can take to start OKC.

It may be true that only 2-5 percent of OTS applicants get hired but that just tells you how many of them are applying. I am OTS and currently at the acadamy and almost every single person that I talk to out here has been hired OTS. I've only met 3 CTI grads and two of them applyed off the street before graduation and that is why they are here now.

I am grateful for the opportunity and am glad that the FAA is hiring OTS. It did work in the 80s and I am sure that it will work again.

I'm the only non-OTS in either mine or my sister class. We have a total of 35 OTS, 1 VRA (me) and no CTI

So how many real airplanes have you talked to?

Airplanes can't talk silly!

AirPlaneCartoon.jpg

Im still shocked that they even consider OTS at all.

I'm not trying to argue, but I'm OTS and I have my Commercial SEL and Instrument Airplane, and have taken an Air Traffic Control class.

Are all journalism majors good writers?
Are all nursing majors cut out to do the job?
Are all pilot hopefuls good pilots?

My point here is, not all people who go through CTI school are going to be good air traffic controllers. I can guarantee that there will be people OTS that fair better than some of the CTI graduates. That's just how it is, life isn't necessarily fair. So for the FAA to not consider people because they did not go through a CTI program or controlled previously in the military would be a mistake in my opinion.

you are totally right... they should need no aviation background/training what so ever. Why screen anyone right?

you are totally right... they should need no aviation background/training what so ever. Why screen anyone right?

Haha, too bad this forum doesn't have a screener for crap posters.

Nobody's said that the FAA should drop all screening processes completely, so let's drop the hyperbole. Sorry you're unhappy with the current state of affairs. I'm sure if there were enough military controllers + CTI, the FAA wouldn't have bothered with an OTS program to begin with. Clearly that's not the case though, is it? So what's your brilliant plan to solve the staffing issue?

I'm currently crashing the CTI party at Miami Dade. I've taken intro to ATC, tower, aviation meteorology, radar, and non-radar classes. And if I cram in 42 credits in 2 semesters to finish the CTI program I'll be 30 and a half and too friggin' old ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only advantage is I would have gotten my beloved LA tower facility, but i guess I'm goin' with the ZLA i've been offered even without that precious little CTI diploma.

Haha, too bad this forum doesn't have a screener for crap posters.

Nobody's said that the FAA should drop all screening processes completely, so let's drop the hyperbole. Sorry you're unhappy with the current state of affairs. I'm sure if there were enough military controllers + CTI, the FAA wouldn't have bothered with an OTS program to begin with. Clearly that's not the case though, is it? So what's your brilliant plan to solve the staffing issue?
I didnt say anything about being against it or being unhappy about it, just that its weird. Learn how to read.

Back