FAA Says OTS is only 2-5% of New Hires

I am in a class of 15. We are all OTS. 2 people were in CTI but never finished. Our instructor has been here for about 15 years and is the 2 senior instructor. Over the years he has assisted in gathering statistical data about all students that attend the academy. The first day of basics you take a test equivalent to the Cumulative you take at the end of basics. The official study has shown that the average grade that CTI students score is in the 60% range. The average final score after basics for all students is 91%.

There is a comon theme that some of the best ATCers were pilots and some of the worst ATCers were pilots. I strongly believe it is on an individual basis.

Also, there are schools that have lost their accreditation or are under review because their students were performing so poorly on the tests. The ATC basic that you take at the academy is the exact same course that you take at the CTI schools. Some of our instructors are teaching simultaniously at OU and they say we have the advantage because we are not being taught the information over a 4 year period. By the last year they are not remembering what they were taught in the first year. I am not trying to knock the CTI program. I believe strongly in getting a degree and going through college/university.

I also believe that everyone has and deserves the chance that they earn. There are some people that will make it and some that won't and I don't think that you're prior experience reflects either way. Either you can do it or you can't.

FYI there is a 98% pass rate at the Academy....that is OTS, CTI and VRA students combined. Once you get here it doesn't matter where you came from or where you are going as long as you can learn, retain and perform what is asked of you.

This is a light hearted comment and I would have added smilies but I just hit the quick reply and didn't get the options.

Oh, also, on our lesson test today...we all got 100s. GO OTS!!!!!

hate to tell ya that all of those lesson tests are a joke, im sure you've realized that if you have been there for a month there though.

Honestly, how you got hired doesn't mean a thing with most people after you get to your facility. You are treated the same no matter how you got there(Some exceptions with military).

Im still shocked that they even consider OTS at all.
a lot of my coworkers at ZOA were OTS from circa post-1981. they were pretty dang sharp and were some of the best controllers i've seen.

OTS does not mean "will not make it". heck even us VRAs were at one time OTS. the military trained us up to be FPLs at a military facility. OTS will be the same thing, just being trained up at busier FAA facilities, instead of military bases.

now don't get me wrong. experience is very important. but i don't believe it should be the deciding factor of whether or not someone is qualified to get hired. remember, a controllers FAA career is at least 20 years, and normally 25+ years, long. that's a lot of time to gain experience.

Back