FAA Safety Inspector

iamflyin

Hello,

I recently applied for the FAA Safety Inspector General Aviation and Air Carrier vacancy announcment. I was just curious if anyone had any information on how duty locations are assigned? When I applied I chose 5 duty locations but did not put them in order of preference. Now I'm wondering if I should have, or if that is something that is considered later on in the process. Any location would be acceptable but obviously some would be better then others for my family. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

The duty assignments are based on needs and expected retirements, however I am surprised the agency is actively recruiting because of current and future budgetary concerns. Good luck, you will be fine!

Or interviewed for that matter - even in better economic times that was a really tough nut to crack.

I posted this on another forum, but I've had no joy on getting a response. Does any one have any input on the below?

I'm currently a regional pilot with XJT and I've put my application in for both General Aviation Operations and Air Carrier Operations inspector positions. I notice that they keep pushing back the closing date of the job position on USAjobs.gov. Do they call candidates while the window is still open or will they call only after the posting has closed?

Additionally, I have 4000 hours total time with an ATP, with current CFI/CFII/MEI certs and 1500 hours dual given with a bachelors from ERAU and I'm about half way done with a masters in aero sci with dual specializations in operations and safety. Does my background fit the profile of someone that the FAA would be interested in, or do I need more experience to be considered highly-qualified?

Thanks in advance!

It really depends on the office currently looking and how many points you score prior to even being interviewed. Being a veteran adds points, type ratings help, college degree helps, etc...

When I was called to interview for an ASI position I had forgot I even applied. I thought I was in trouble for the first 5 seconds of the phone call.

I didn't put much effort into the KSAs. I just banged them out. In the interview I was also asked to write a fictitious report of about two pages. I guess they also look at writing abilities.

Usually the hiring occurs at the end of the fiscal year (August-September timeframe).

It never hurts to touch base with the office manager of the FSDO or CMO you want to work at either.

I worked as an ASI for 2.5 years and I now have lifetime reinstatement rights. It's nice to have a fall back position in aviation!

Back