FAA launches faster, more direct flight paths on East Coast

Random question that I have wondered.....what are all the waypoints that are named in a similar fashion such as "KA30G"......similar naming convention to the ones in oceanic airspace, but these are in CONUS.....a casual perusal of Q routes normally have normal sounding fixes/waypoints. These are all normally direct legs, rather than via some sort of airway.
The other member beat me to it. Officially it is called NRS, and they're great to use for shortcuts. Say you're flying from SEA to TPA. Find the last fix on your flight plan before the transition to the TPA arrival, then search for the closest NRS fix before the transition point and request direct D->. For example, you are filed MONTN2.SEA ... a bunch of boring stuff ... DEFUN.MAATY4.TPA. While en route request KH09M D-> DEFUN. Works most of the time.

The other member beat me to it. Officially it is called NRS, and they're great to use for shortcuts. Say you're flying from SEA to TPA. Find the last fix on your flight plan before the transition to the TPA arrival, then search for the closest NRS fix before the transition point and request direct D->. For example, you are filed MONTN2.SEA ... a bunch of boring stuff ... DEFUN.MAATY4.TPA. While en route request KH09M D-> DEFUN. Works most of the time.

Tell me you fly a lot of red eyes without telling me you fly a lot of red eyes.

Tell me you fly a lot of red eyes without telling me you fly a lot of red eyes.

That was taught to me by a center controller while fat dumb and happy at FL450. They explained that the computer will most likely deny a direct if it is too far down the line because of conflicts among sectors and not owning airspace but suggested that because the computer sees it differently for some reason.

Whether that’s accurate it or not, who knows but I’ll stick with it.

That was taught to me by a center controller while fat dumb and happy at FL450. They explained that the computer will most likely deny a direct if it is too far down the line because of conflicts among sectors and not owning airspace but suggested that because the computer sees it differently for some reason.

I 1000% believe this is true. FAA computer system probably has a function that says:

if(requested_fix == transition_to_STAR, “deny”)
else(“approve”)

Your secret K fixes game the system. :)

I 1000% believe this is true. FAA computer system probably has a function that says:

if(requested_fix == transition_to_STAR, “deny”)
else(“approve”)

Your secret K fixes game the system. :)

Whoever it is that wrote that function for ATC probably has this mug.

Attachments

• IMG_2846.jpeg
    IMG_2846.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

There is no secret computer that approves or denies requests for directs. Controllers will usually just not approve directs that are too far because they don't know if they work or not. Usually what constitutes working or not is whether the direct clearance takes you down a sector boundary or not. I once saw a dumbass clear a lufthansa bound for IAH direct to AEX from over the atlantic ocean offshore radar. He saw AEX, asked to the peanut gallery "AEX,where is that?" Someone said Alexandria. The controller did a preview and the line worked for him. He assumed it was Alexandria, Virginia and cleared the guy direct to Louisiana from about 100nm southeast of NYC.

For my purposes the redesign means the delays on J174 are now the delays on Q97 and the automation has not quite caught up so when the routes filed don't always tie in correctly and we have to get TMU to give us a good preferential departure route. Also, this redesign went into affect about 2 weeks ago, it is funny the av blogs are just getting a hold of it now.

Thanks for the info! These seem to be pretty much the norm when flying over middle America, particularly on northern routes (maybe only because I have been doing a lot of them when I started to notice this). Had just never seen them until now. I'd kinda figured it was a way for dispatch to route without needing to attach to an airway (since they are always direct) but never actually thought to ask

There is no secret computer that approves or denies requests for directs. Controllers will usually just not approve directs that are too far because they don't know if they work or not.
I'm way too lazy to go find the .65 reference, but as I recall, the reg is that clearance down the line shouldn't go beyond the first fix in the next Center's airspace (without approval).

Only time I ever saw it enforced was with my first trainer at ZLA, would would regularly clear red eyes to the last fix in their STARs. After New York complained a few times, management followed up to find who was screwing up the flows hours beforehand. Pilots loved him, though.

When there is SUA in the way between me and direct out west, I have found that a by name request ("Sir is the R-4808 active?) goes a long way towards ATC guessing my next question and telling me "no I can't give you direct" preemptively, and also my CA saying "whoa how'd you know that cool name?" Then I show him my watch, and tell him a story about the military. I was voted top 1 FO this quarter. It just hasn't been announced yet. Additional fun fact, year 2 pay starts this month. Maybe I'll give them year 2 landings too......

Last edited:
When there is SUA in the way between me and direct out west, I have found that a by name request ("Sir is the R-4808 active?) goes a long way towards ATC guessing my next question and telling me "no I can't give you direct" preemptively, and also my CA saying "whoa how'd you know that cool name?"

I mean... the areas are the on the chart. Not top secret or anything.

It was pretty standard for PSA crews trying to get home to Dayton ::shudder:: to ask if Buckeye MOA was cold, in order to get direct Midwest and then the field instead of having to go over Cincinnati.

I mean... the areas are the on the chart. Not top secret or anything.

It was pretty standard for PSA crews trying to get home to Dayton ::shudder:: to ask if Buckeye MOA was cold, in order to get direct Midwest and then the field instead of having to go over Cincinnati.

I mean I fully agree, but this would presume people read charts

Back