FAA launches faster, more direct flight paths on East Coast

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
  • The FAA has come under fire after a string of close calls and safety issues
  • The 169 new routes will help prevent delays and increase safety
  • The COO says the changes will help passengers get to destinations faster
(NewsNation) — In time for the summer travel season, 169 new, high-altitude flight routes were launched in order to reduce air traffic on the East Coast, the Federal Aviation Administration announced Monday.

The new routes will shave off 40,000 miles and 6,000 minutes of travel time annually, according to the FAA press release. The change will reportedly help prevent delays, give controllers more flexibility and enhance safety as flights will have fewer converging points.

Just looked at the Q routes... kinda looks like what we've all been doing all along without having to get assigned direct ILM after the SoFlo departure gate then direct SLT or SWL... the (what looks like) 3 parallel tracks both inland and through JAX center over the water look like they will hopefully help... I guess all that to say I'm cautiously cynical about the 'savings' numbers.

• The FAA has come under fire after a string of close calls and safety issues
  • The 169 new routes will help prevent delays and increase safety
  • The COO says the changes will help passengers get to destinations faster
(NewsNation) — In time for the summer travel season, 169 new, high-altitude flight routes were launched in order to reduce air traffic on the East Coast, the Federal Aviation Administration announced Monday.

The new routes will shave off 40,000 miles and 6,000 minutes of travel time annually, according to the FAA press release. The change will reportedly help prevent delays, give controllers more flexibility and enhance safety as flights will have fewer converging points.

There used to be east coast NDB routes... Those were pretty efficient. LOL.

I'm gonna do NO research here and just spew (I'm not even gonna read your link)... I just gonna bet that most of these ALL NEW shiny GPS routes cover more or less the same terrain.

I'm ABSOLUTELY certain that the gang 'round here will tell me if I'm wrong. LOL. (But if y'all do, please provide the precise numbers and deltas.)

No BS quips about how I'm high or crazy. Just provide the facts.

Last edited:
There used to be east coast NDB routes... Those were pretty efficient. LOL.

I'm gonna do NO research here and just spew (I'm not even gonna read your link)... I just gonna bet that most of these ALL NEW shiny GPS routes cover more or less the same terrain.

I'm ABSOLUTELY certain that the gang 'round here will tell me if I'm wrong. LOL. (But if y'all do, please provide the precise numbers and deltas.)

No BS quips about how I'm high or crazy. Just provide the facts.
Why?

Random question that I have wondered.....what are all the waypoints that are named in a similar fashion such as "KA30G"......similar naming convention to the ones in oceanic airspace, but these are in CONUS.....a casual perusal of Q routes normally have normal sounding fixes/waypoints. These are all normally direct legs, rather than via some sort of airway.

Random question that I have wondered.....what are all the waypoints that are named in a similar fashion such as "KA30G"......similar naming convention to the ones in oceanic airspace, but these are in CONUS.....a casual perusal of Q routes normally have normal sounding fixes/waypoints. These are all normally direct legs, rather than via some sort of airway.

As an aside the greatest (most juvenile) waypoint names are on Q438, East to West... the 1st two when you cross into Toronto center. Then the first two when you cross back into the US with Cleveland.

The "K" fixes are all over the high charts. Just check where lats and longs converge. I remember getting these fixes CONUS back in the day and the FMC would take them.

KA30G points and the such are just random fixes. It breaks down as:
K = because CONUS
A = The center the fix is located in, this one is in Albuquerque Center
30 = the number designator for it, they're spaced every 0.5 degree of latitude and and 1 degree of longitude
G = Letter assigned, it starts at A then goes up from west to east, starting over at A after Z

Based on this, there's no KA30G, it'd be KL30G since the G line is in LA center.

K = because CONUS
30 = the number designator for it, they're spaced every 0.5 degree of latitude and and 1 degree of longitude
G = Letter assigned, it starts at A then goes up from west to east, starting over at A after Z

Based on this, there's no KA30G, it'd be KL30G since the G line is in LA center.
Say yes to Kilo...

Can you accept that altitude? Will you be able to deviate because of that weather? Did your dispatcher know these even existed as an option? Find out, on the next episode of "Surely This Will Work!"

(Cancels clearance because ZJX closes again)

K = because CONUS

Awesome thanks! And I should have mentioned, the waypoint I posted was just made up, so that makes sense

Back