FAA Halts SWA Departures

images (1).jpeg

This feels worse than before. Pete B already catching strays on social media which always makes me chuckle

and just like that its been lifted although Love Field is still a crap show

Delays are about an hour out of PHX and the local media is freaking out like it’s the end of the world.

”We just talked to a couple headed to Vegas whose flight was delayed for 45 minutes…”

The horror.

The delays into LAS were due to ZLA center flow control and gate hold procedures at IGM airport this morning.

Southwest Airlines requested the FAA pause the airline's departures," the agency told CNN in a statement.
I noticed that, too, and can’t figure out why.

Almost wonder if it’s using a li’l bit of regulatory capture to side-step being on the hook for accommodating pax, or maybe juking some metrics.

“Not our fault, the FAA stopped us from operating. Nevermind where my other hand is!”

Or maybe the message got weirded-up somewhere between WN and the FAA person writing words on Twitter. If Occam’s Razor were so perfect they would have given it a less-unusual name.

I noticed that, too, and can’t figure out why.

It's generally the fastest way to stop your flights from taking off with illegal releases, or fleet wide MX issues. Trying to get Operations Control or each dispatcher to run through all the flights and tell them to stay at the gate is a pretty slow process. The FAA has the Easy Button in the form of national selective ground stop programs.

Probably saved them a hundred bucks in gambling losses.

Adding that 45 min delay to the 2 hours prior to flight time, and maybe about 30-45 min getting to the airport. If they drove they would have been in Vegas by the time that plane loaded up, taxied and took off for the 1 hour-ish flight to LAS then the taxi time to the gate, unloaded the PAX and bags, walk through the terminal to baggage claim (if they had checked items) and to the nightmare clusterf* that is the ride-sharing garage and to the hotel (30-45 min).

Adding that 45 min delay to the 2 hours prior to flight time, and maybe about 30-45 min getting to the airport. If they drove they would have been in Vegas by the time that plane loaded up, taxied and took off for the 1 hour-ish flight to LAS then the taxi time to the gate, unloaded the PAX and bags, walk through the terminal to baggage claim (if they had checked items) and to the nightmare clusterf* that is the ride-sharing garage and to the hotel (30-45 min).
agreed, LA-Vegas is one of the true distances that I can see a high speed Rail work...

agreed, LA-Vegas is one of the true distances that I can see a high speed Rail work...
I wish they would. They had been trying to get high-speed rail from Vegas to Sothern California for years but haven't really moved on it. I think there is some issue with the BLM since they own most of the land in Nevada and parts of the Inland Empire. I imagine the same issue would come up with PHX. Elon attempted it but settled on some goofy underground Tesla Tube cab service to the convention center.

I heard 4 people on the news who will NEVER fly Southwest again! "They've lost me as a customer for life."

Unless it's $2 cheaper...

I wish they would. They had been trying to get high-speed rail from Vegas to Sothern California for years but haven't really moved on it. I think there is some issue with the BLM since they own most of the land in Nevada and parts of the Inland Empire. I imagine the same issue would come up with PHX. Elon attempted it but settled on some goofy underground Tesla Tube cab service to the convention center.
California has no reason to build a wider highway or high speed train to Las Vegas. Guessing 97% of the road between LA and Las Vegas is in California. CA generates no tax revenue from someone driving to another state o spend their money.

Back