FAA extends first, third class medicals

the good news is my DE (that i had for my private, multi-private and multi-instrument) will be doing my commercial as well. He is a really nice guy who i get along with well. I have not failed a ride yet so i don't know how that goes but he is a stickler for the rules. He also can quote the FAR's like a preacher quotes the bible in church. Just like the bible though, the FAR 's can be misinterpreted.

One dispute that comes up a a lot where i fly (we have 5 guys working on their commercial ticket) is can you file an IFR flight plan for the vfr x-countries? I've heard about half and half. Some say you can file and stay out of the clouds, others say you can't. Both sides of this argument have been argued buy examiner's at my school.

Any way back to medicals. I forgot a 1st goes to a 2nd after 6 months. I learned that for my private ride which was last dec. but since all i have needed is a 3rd up until now i forgot. for some reason i thought a 1st went all the way down to a 3rd. thanks for the refresher.

-Matt

One dispute that comes up a a lot where i fly (we have 5 guys working on their commercial ticket) is can you file an IFR flight plan for the vfr x-countries? I've heard about half and half. Some say you can file and stay out of the clouds, others say you can't. Both sides of this argument have been argued buy examiner's at my school.

-Matt

The Scottsdale FSDO told me that you can FILE and FLY IFR because there is nothing in the FARS that prohibit it. As long as the instructor gives you the required VFR training for the commercial license.

However that's just the FSDO's opinion in my opinion and I really dont know.

Oh and Technically if you get a First class medical its always a first class medical till it expires in 5 years. Its the privileges that go down in increments, not the class :p

Keep in mind that even under the old rules, if you got a 1st class medical with the past 12 calendar months, it would still be a second class. It doesn't expire, it just down grades to the next lower class. So, even in your case, your medical would be a second class until the 1st of Sept this year when it would downgrade to a third class. Clear as mud?

Oh and Technically if you get a First class medical its always a first class medical till it expires in 5 years. Its the privileges that go down in increments, not the class :p

:yeahthat: (for the second time)

The Scottsdale FSDO told me that you can FILE and FLY IFR because there is nothing in the FARS that prohibit it. As long as the instructor gives you the required VFR training for the commercial license.

However that's just the FSDO's opinion in my opinion and I really dont know.

Same interpretation at the Ft Worth FSDO. As long as the x-countries are in VFR CONDITIONS, it satisfies the regs. The regs don't specify what type of flight plan, just the conditions of flight.

Back