FAA extends first, third class medicals

I never knew which digit they were using, and I never asked. Sure the hell didn't feel like a pinky.

I wanna know which AMEs you guys are going to, 'cause damn. I wanna avoid them. I've been to four different ones since I started flying. None have asked me to do the bend over and sing act.

Hey!!!!!
whats going on with second class medicals now? nobody said anything. I got my second class a month ago. So is it still second class for one year?

why not? I got first class just to make sure. Are you basing that on pure finances?

Many people will advise to only get the class that you need. If you only need, say a third class, and you apply for a first, but you have something that will prohibit you from obtaining a first, the AME is obligated to deny your medical and report that fact. If it so happens that whatever prohibited you from obtaining the first would not have been an issue for a third, now you don't have a medical.

I wonder what the justification for this was - three years seemed like plenty enough time for the 3rd class - 5 years almost seems too much. Imagine what can happen to a person even in 5 years. Strange.

why not? I got first class just to make sure. Are you basing that on pure finances?

No. If you go for an unneccesarily higher medical and have a problem with the tighter standards (like vision), you will potentially face a nightmare with the FAA getting any kind of medical.

You getting your first class just to make sure is different. That's a good idea for somebody thinking about getting into professional aviation. But for somebody with no intention of flying professionally, it makes no sense. But that's just me...

The last medical I got was a first class. I'm still going to get that one because there is a possibility that I might instruct someday and I would need at least a second class to take the commercial.

Yes, I know you can instruct with a third class but in order to get the commercial, I need a second class.

The last medical I got was a first class. I'm still going to get that one because there is a possibility that I might instruct someday and I would need at least a second class to take the commercial.

Yes, I know you can instruct with a third class but in order to get the commercial, I need a second class.

Technically, you only need the second class to exercise the privileges of the commercial. :)

Many people will advise to only get the class that you need. If you only need, say a third class, and you apply for a first, but you have something that will prohibit you from obtaining a first, the AME is obligated to deny your medical and report that fact. If it so happens that whatever prohibited you from obtaining the first would not have been an issue for a third, now you don't have a medical.

No. If you go for an unneccesarily higher medical and have a problem with the tighter standards (like vision), you will potentially face a nightmare with the FAA getting any kind of medical.<snip>

Thanks guys, thats good info. I had no idea that failing the first class would make it tougher to get a third class medical.

No, that's not true. You only need a 3rd class to take the commercial test. You could even take the ATP and have a 3rd class. The only time you would need the 2nd class is if you were operating as a commerical pilot (CFI exempted, like you said). There are even certain circumstances when you can flight instruct with no medical (BFRs, etc.).

No, that's not true. You only need a 3rd class to take the commercial test. You could even take the ATP and have a 3rd class. The only time you would need the 2nd class is if you were operating as a commerical pilot (CFI exempted, like you said). There are even certain circumstances when you can flight instruct with no medical (BFRs, etc.).

If that's the case, then I'll save my money. I was under the impression that if you wanted to take the commercial test, you needed at least a second class. And if I had to have one of those, since the standards are just about the same, I figured I'd just go for the first class.

If that's the case, then I'll save my money. I was under the impression that if you wanted to take the commercial test, you needed at least a second class. And if I had to have one of those, since the standards are just about the same, I figured I'd just go for the first class.

There may be some DEs that won't do the practical if you don't have a second. Legally, you can, but I guess that's up to the individual DEs. YMMV.

Now, if I was an Anti-65 guy, I'd say something along the lines that this is blatent age discrimination. Why draw an artificial line at age 40? How making the privileges contingent on flight physical performance (eyesight, hearing, B/P, smoking, etc.). There are plenty of us old farts who are healthier today than we were at 25.

do you need a 2nd class certificate to take the commercial checkride or do you just need one to exercise the privileges of a commercial pilot? If what you say is true this is great news for me because i got a first class medical last August for my student pilot certificate to solo and now i'm taking my commercial ride on Wednesday. this would mean that it would still be a 1st class medical and i would not have to go get a 2nd class or the 1st class renewed.

do you need a 2nd class certificate to take the commercial checkride or do you just need one to exercise the privileges of a commercial pilot? If what you say is true this is great news for me because i got a first class medical last August for my student pilot certificate to solo and now i'm taking my commercial ride on Wednesday. this would mean that it would still be a 1st class medical and i would not have to go get a 2nd class or the 1st class renewed.

Keep in mind that even under the old rules, if you got a 1st class medical with the past 12 calendar months, it would still be a second class. It doesn't expire, it just down grades to the next lower class. So, even in your case, your medical would be a second class until the 1st of Sept this year when it would downgrade to a third class. Clear as mud?

There may be some DEs that won't do the practical if you don't have a second. Legally, you can, but I guess that's up to the individual DEs. YMMV.

If a DE was that misinformed about the rules (or just makes them up), I don't think I'd want to take a practical test with them anyway.

Back