FAA ATP

Apart of lower insurance rate, ATP SEL is not that useful.

You said it's useless. I told you why it's not. I'm guessing for guys that have TBMs or something similar it reduces their rates significantly.

Also, if you had a choice of sharing busy airspace with a bunch of GA pilots would you rather be around guys that only have a PP, or IR pilots that also have a CSEL and ATP SEL? No brainer.

It is tricky and grey area.

If one has a ATP-MEL, does s/he still require to sit for ATP-SEL written even though there is ATP-SEL written specifically for pre-requisite of ATP-SEL check-ride?

When I did my ATP SEL and SES I did it during the two years my ATP multi written was still valid so that counted. Examiner told me how my written been expired I would have had to take the ATP written again for the single engine stuff even though I held the Multi ATP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't PlaneSense require ATP SEL for captains?
Maybe, but it would be a company/insurance policy (which means more than likely in the pilot shortage that it’s being thrown out the window) not regulatory. AFAIK there is no operation that requires an ATPSEL on a regulatory basis. Unless you can do EOD 135 in a SE?

Maybe, but it would be a company/insurance policy (which means more than likely in the pilot shortage that it’s being thrown out the window) not regulatory. AFAIK there is no operation that requires an ATPSEL on a regulatory basis. Unless you can do EOD 135 in a SE?

The only 10+ passenger singles that come to mind are the AN2 or DHC-3. AN2 would be experimental exhibition in the US, but the Otter has a type certificate and is common on this side of the globe. The TCDS states it can be as dense as a 1+15 configuration. Wouldn't that require an ATP-SEL or SES under 135.243 (a)(1) ?

Last edited:
The only 10+ passenger singles that come to mind are the AN2 or DHC-3. AN2 would be experimental exhibition in the US, but the Otter has a type certificate and is common on this side of the globe. The TCDS states is can be as dense as a 1+15 configuration. Wouldn't that require an ATP-SEL or SES under 135.243 (a)(1) ?
edit: misread.

The otter is under some kind of exemption/grandfather to operate at 10 pax in the USA. Normally going over 9 triggers a lot of extra requirements that otter operators aren’t subject to. I’m pretty sure most of the Otter drivers don’t have an ATPSEL.

Last edited:
Yeh the Caravan EX on floats can fly 14 pax under an exemption. Don't know about licensing though.

By the way, I can’t help but notice that you didn’t offer any form of suggestion for the OP. Why bother posting if you’re not going to answer their question?

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

Because someone was going to tell you to quit being a dick, he just got there first.

Back