FA Calls on short final..

You know I can't remember that from 121...maybe below 80kts? So dude gets up, just prior to (80 x-check) abort, abort abort....emergency stop from 70 kts... dude flies through cabin. I'd rather do the take off with a guy hanging from the O2 masks.

As I recall, I think FA could cause an abort with an emergency call <80kts, but we wouldn't
answer to ask what it is..we would stop and taxi off.

The Lavs on Planes are so small anyone that is in there will be fine for a landing

original.jpg

Really? Who picks up the intercom on take off roll? That's stupid.

Current plane has a belt in the lav. I would land as normal.

Of course it's stupid, which is why you wouldn't pick up the phone. You'd assume something has gone wrong in the back and you'd abort the takeoff if the FA called.

There could be a fire, or somebody could be charging the cockpit, or any number of other issues.

Of course it's stupid, which is why you wouldn't pick up the phone. You'd assume something has gone wrong in the back and you'd abort the takeoff if the FA called.

There could be a fire, or somebody could be charging the cockpit, or any number of other issues.
That's what the emergency chime is for. Your FA's are trained for this. Once you tell them to take their seats the emergency chime is used if needed. If they call, I am certainly not touching the phone, nor am I executing a high speed abort. Go ahead and charge the flight deck. I've watched two mechanics try to get past that door for hours ( with pry bars).

Very recently I was part of a study, looking at aborted T/O crew performance. At 80kts, crews very routinely exceeded V1, an even VR when there was confusion to the abort, when the abort was not expected, or the abort was called by the PNF. On average, a failure at V1 resulted in a V1+23 abort speed ( max braking, abort configuration per FOM)... If NA braking was ever actually achieved. In the last few years, how many people have been hurt in high speed aborts VS immediate returns?

During T/O acceleration and initial climb pitch of 20 degrees, nobody is realistically charging the flight deck door. Much more likely is that somebody stood up and came out of their seat, to which, slamming on the brakes is not going to help them. If there is smoke or fire they will use the emergency chime, not PA call.

I've had way more inappropriate PA calls than fires, farts, or maniacs, so no, I'm not aborting.

Emergency Chime or not, there is nothing in the abort criteria that even suggests that something that isn't red, blinking, triple chiming, and announcing the failure is consideration for an ATO.

I would not, as CA, abort for an inter phone emergency call, nor as FO would I announce it so the CA can make the decision on it or not. I think the CA would wonder why I looked away from the outside / speed / eicas to see what the FA wanted.

I think we actually once had a memo to the effect of telling us if there was a passenger in the lav on landing to just land and not go around.

As to this scenario:
I would not have answered the call.
I still would have landed.
I would not abort for an FA call on the T/O roll.

I'm dangerous!

Emergency Chime or not, there is nothing in the abort criteria that even suggests that something that isn't red, blinking, triple chiming, and announcing the failure is consideration for an ATO.
Must be nice to have EICAS and takeoff inhibit doing your thinking for you ;)

I would not, as CA, abort for an inter phone emergency call, nor as FO would I announce it so the CA can make the decision on it or not. I think the CA would wonder why I looked away from the outside / speed / eicas to see what the FA wanted.
"From 80 knots to V1, the takeoff will be discontinued for engine fire, engine failure, loss of directional control, or if the aircraft is unsafe or unable to fly." A cabin fire is most certainly a condition that makes the aircraft unsafe to fly. Just to argue/belabor the point here.

Give me a cargo alarm or a lav smoke, sure we stop.
Must be nice to have EICAS and takeoff inhibit doing your thinking for you ;)

"From 80 knots to V1, the takeoff will be discontinued for engine fire, engine failure, loss of directional control, or if the aircraft is unsafe or unable to fly." A cabin fire is most certainly a condition that makes the aircraft unsafe to fly. Just to argue/belabor the point here.

Give me a cargo alarm or a lav smoke, sure we stop.
A "DOORS!" and FORWARD light would be on that list too. But not every red light or triple chime on the Brasilia is an automatic abort. "DOORS!" and SERVICE? How fast are we going? Are we in Carlsbad? Ditto for FORWARD ACTUATOR.

(Hey Derg, we really need reverse-print styling for annunciator lights.)

When Natasha yells SMOKE, yes.

A "DOORS!" and FORWARD light would be on that list too. But not every red light or triple chime on the Brasilia is an automatic abort. "DOORS!" and SERVICE? How fast are we going? Are we in Carlsbad? Ditto for FORWARD ACTUATOR.

(Hey Derg, we really need reverse-print styling for annunciator lights.)

When Natasha yells SMOKE, yes.

What's up with the Brakillya's doors that would necessitate a high-speed reject?

What's up with the Brakillya's doors that would necessitate a high-speed reject?
Well, the FA is sitting right there (and I mean right there). And there's a propeller immediately aft of that as well.

The more that I think about it, it'd be "strongly consider" - and not "automatic" for that light or alarm. I'd also think it more likely (you did finish the checklist that says "Multiple Alarm Panel - Checked" meaning that all the little lights that should be out, are out, right?) when the PLs are advanced for takeoff, rather than on the roll.

(I'd rather not go fly with that door unsafe.)

Well, the FA is sitting right there (and I mean right there). And there's a propeller immediately aft of that as well.

The more that I think about it, it'd be "strongly consider" - and not "automatic" for that light or alarm. I'd also think it more likely (you did finish the checklist that says "Multiple Alarm Panel - Checked" meaning that all the little lights that should be out, are out, right?) when the PLs are advanced for takeoff, rather than on the roll.

(I'd rather not go fly with that door unsafe.)

Is she strapped to the door or something? :)

Might get windy, but rejecting for that in the high-speed regime is generally frowned upon, unless it's an aircraft-specific situation.

Back