FA Calls on short final..

1000'horizontal feet, right? as in .2 miles? at 120 that's .1 minute? like 6 seconds?

I've never worked at a company that discusses distance in feet on approach in lateral measurements. Do you work at one that does this? Lateral measurements are in NM, vertical are in feet eh?

I don't think so, but you roll the dice however you see fit.

Shrug. I think it's one of those judgment calls that doesn't have a Right Answer (hence it's a good post for this forum). I can as easily feature a CP who would have you rug-dancing for wasting a poop-ton of gas and making people miss their connections for going around as one who would eat your lunch for landing in possible violation (possible because you're not sitting back there and maybe the F/A got em to play nice) of a rather absurd FAR. Like, let's say it happens in cruise and the guy has barricaded himself in the lav and screaming that if you make him get out, he's going to beat the F/A senseless, etc etc etc. And honestly, do you think any Fed in his right mind is going to come after you for landing a totally functional airplane in a totally routine manner rather than flying around for a while to make sure that some potentially volatile nut doesn't stub his toe? Meh. If we have administrative law judges who would uphold a Violation over that, it's time for me to get out of this idiot buisiness anyway.

Again, will your chief pilot and/or the FAA agree that violating a rule is allowable because the passenger was "an idiot?"

I don't think so, but you roll the dice however you see fit.
Again we come back to the root question in my mind. I say that it is the passenger that is violating a rule, not me or my flight crew. My responsibility is to inform the passenger of the rule that he is required to obey, and to encourage (strongly) his compliance. If he does not comply I still contend that HE is the one breaking the rule, not me.

Again we come back to the root question in my mind. I say that it is the passenger that is violating a rule, not me or my flight crew. My responsibility is to inform the passenger of the rule that he is required to obey, and to encourage (strongly) his compliance. If he does not comply I still contend that HE is the one breaking the rule, not me.

I'm gonna send you a PM about this, Steve.

I'm not aware of anyone that says they're short final at 1000' either...
Either way, inside FAF I don't answer the FA... So I have no knowledge...done

I meant 1000AGL.
But, the discussion is generally speaking.
For the Go-Around crowd, are you going around right away, or are you going to give them a chance to get out?
Also, do you think it makes a different what kind of airplane it is...Are you going to take around a 747 as you would an E120?

Also, do you think it makes a different what kind of airplane it is...Are you going to take around a 747 as you would an E120?

I don't think the type of aircraft matters at all. Heck, a 767 is much easier to handle in the go-around phase than the E145 I used to fly. The autothrottles even automatically set a 2000fpm climb. It's the phase of flight that would preclude answering a call from the back end.

prior to the approach segment, I may answer below 10,000'. After it (the approach segment) begins only in the case the FA calls with the emergency code, after FAF even with emergency call, no answer until off runway.
So I wouldn't have known.
If she used the emergency code, and I became aware then it's vectors due to a passenger issue, and the passenger (who has now not complied) will have to talk to authorities (unless they were sick). Too often, we let people get away, mostly because we don't want the hassle...

Depends on the operation as well.

Three-man trip and I'm flying relief, I'll pick up the inter phone, listen and if it doesn't sound like we're on fire, *dialtone*

If its a two-man trip, land the aircraft, ignorance is bliss and call taxiing off the active and see what's up.

But that's just me. I've made the mistake of answering far too many "Like DURRRRRRR like uhhh what terminal are we coming into?"

Sheesh what about the double-ding, whoosh of the landing gear and trees getting bigger in your side window confused you about the imminence of the aircraft landing? :)

Sent from my Colecovision Adam

Speed 4, there's a bomb set to explode if the landing gear touch the ground. Keanu Reeves is on the interphone, but the pilots won't answer. Probably because they've already pressed the big red "land" button and are busy eating steak and getting hummers from the stews. Freaking pilots.

Thsi+would+work+with+the+keanu+reeves+conspiracy+pic+P+_88b257aa6803407735f9c237e642e910.jpg

Interview answer: I would execute a go around, and wait until the FA calls back to say the cabin is secure and prepared for landing.

What I'd really do: Land.

I don't think the type of aircraft matters at all. Heck, a 767 is much easier to handle in the go-around phase than the E145 I used to fly. The autothrottles even automatically set a 2000fpm climb. It's the phase of flight that would preclude answering a call from the back end.
My additional question wasnt from a ease of go around per airplane point of view...But rather can you imagine an A380 going around because, "someone was in the lav?" It just seems more ludicrous when you think of taking around an airplane with 300 people in it, bc some drunk person had to much to drink at NJC in LAS.

I'm curious, the FAR"s require that passengers comply with all flight crew directions. If the directions have been given appropriately, and the passenger disregards them then how can the FA be in jeopardy? It's not like are allowed to restrain a passenger for getting up when the seatbelt light is on....

I'm curious, the FAR"s require that passengers comply with all flight crew directions. If the directions have been given appropriately, and the passenger disregards them then how can the FA be in jeopardy? It's not like are allowed to restrain a passenger for getting up when the seatbelt light is on....

When the FA calls during taxi and says, "Somebody just got up," do you continue to taxi, or do you stop?

If you stop, why is takeoff or landing different?

I'd stop, if I'm not crossing a runway or in another situation where stopping would put us and/or others in a worse situation. If I am taking off and the FA calls, I don't answer but even if I became aware of someone up during the take off roll, I wouldn't stop then either.

I'd stop, if I'm not crossing a runway or in another situation where stopping would put us and/or others in a worse situation. If I am taking off and the FA calls, I don't answer but even if I became aware of someone up during the take off roll, I wouldn't stop then either.

A call from the FA on the takeoff roll prior to V1 isn't an abort item?

Back