F/A-18's at LaGuardia

Van_Hoolio

I was boarding my commute home today around 6:45 and was treated to the sight of a few F-18's taking off:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The pics with the time stamp are from Maxine, Comair CVG FA. I copied them from her SD card over to my laptop on the flight home. The others are from my older and crappier camera.

Attachments

• DSCN0153.jpg
    DSCN0153.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 750
  • DSCN0161.jpg
    DSCN0161.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 783
  • DSCN0160.jpg
    DSCN0160.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 765
  • DSCN0159.jpg
    DSCN0159.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 750
  • DSCN0158.jpg
    DSCN0158.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 753
  • DSCN0157.jpg
    DSCN0157.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 759
  • DSCN0156.jpg
    DSCN0156.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 754
  • DSCN0155.jpg
    DSCN0155.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 773
  • DSCN0154.jpg
    DSCN0154.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 758
  • DSCN0152.jpg
    DSCN0152.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 765
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0162.jpg
    DSCN0162.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 741
  • DSCN3868.jpg
    DSCN3868.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 719
  • DSCN3869.jpg
    DSCN3869.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 743
  • DSCN3871.jpg
    DSCN3871.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 723
  • DSCN3872.jpg
    DSCN3872.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 731
  • DSCN3873.jpg
    DSCN3873.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 725
  • DSCN3874.jpg
    DSCN3874.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 734
Cool. I don't fly to LGA, are military planes common there?

Very doubtful. But this is another area where the USN/USMC FAR trumps the USAF: Cross Country policy for tactical aircraft. Trying to get a USAF fighter off-station for an XC is akin to pulling teeth.....gotta go to a military field, preferably an AF field. Civilian fields are usually not doable, mainly due to security requirements, need for the aircraft to be secured, etc, etc.

USN/USMC on the other hand seems to be FAR more liberal with XCs, as you'll see their tactical aircraft at many civilian fields. So long as the field has appropriate runway length, govt contract JP/Jet-A, you're pretty much good to go. That's why you'll see F/A-18s at LGA or PHX parked at Cutter's ramp. You'd NEVER, in any normal XC sense, see that with an F-15, A-10 or other USAF aircraft.

Difference is in philosophy between the services. AF is all about "if we don't say you CAN do it, assume you can't." AF gives you a VERY short rope tied to a noose, so the littlest screwup, and you hang yourself. USN/USMC is along the lines of "if we don't say you CAN'T do it, you can.....just don't foul it up." They give you a very long piece of rope, also tied to a noose...that way, if you do manage to hang yourself, you REALLY had to screw up to get to that point.

OMG OMG OMG MikeD said "Liberal" :panic::panic::panic: this liberal bias must be stopped!

Just kidding, and now, back to your regularly scheduled website... ;)

Very cool experience! Nice catch as well! I see Blackhawks from time to time at KOSU, also we get a few fighters swinging by YIP occasionally. Most just go over to Selfridge.

Thanks for posting!
RD

Cool pics!

About a month ago I saw an F/A-18 Hornet at Elliots in DSM.

Summer of '07 I saw an A-10 at Signature in DSM:
a10dsm.jpg

Very doubtful. But this is another area where the USN/USMC FAR trumps the USAF: Cross Country policy for tactical aircraft. Trying to get a USAF fighter off-station for an XC is akin to pulling teeth.....gotta go to a military field, preferably an AF field. Civilian fields are usually not doable, mainly due to security requirements, need for the aircraft to be secured, etc, etc.

I think AF in general has a lot more rules. I am currently deployed to the AOR and we cant take any pics of the ramp. But we went over to the army side where they have Helos, and they were like you can take as many pics as you want.

AF is very strict on standards and stuff. Apparently the war doesnt go on if you were black socks opposed to white socks with your PT gear.

AF is very strict on standards and stuff. Apparently the war doesnt go on if you were black socks opposed to white socks with your PT gear.

Don't get me started on the AFs stupidity of reflector belts and PT uniforms tucked/untucked. Tall about a service with zero identity and zero sense of true mission from the many shoe clerks in the force.

You deployed as a FF over there?

Don't get me started on the AFs stupidity of reflector belts and PT uniforms tucked/untucked. Tall about a service with zero identity and zero sense of true mission from the many shoe clerks in the force.

standards, schmandards......they had the best food. we ALWAYS went over to Hickam to eat instead of the galley that was right behind the barracks it Pearl Harbor....

There were three ANG f16s from Vermont at SYR yesterday. They basically parked at the FBO, ate lunch at the dinosaur BBQ, fueled up and flew back to Vermont! Is there some requirement for cross-country flying? Sorry about the soft photo, the heat glare produced by their engines make it tough to get a sharp image.

I have seen the F/A-18's at LGA a few times. Probably setting up to overfly a stadium game in the NYC area?
I bet they just wanted to shoot the Expressway Visual 31 :rawk:

Yesterday WAS Opening day at CitiField (the new home of the NY Mets). Probably did a flyover during the opening ceremony. Not that I watched--I HATE the Mets. (huge Yankees fan, though!)

Nice pics. Last month when I flew into LAS there were two F/A-18's at the hold short line waiting for me to land. The first guy didn't use burners :mad:, but the second guy just cracked the burners...made my day.

God bless the Marine Corps

They give you a very long piece of rope, also tied to a noose...that way, if you do manage to hang yourself, you REALLY had to screw up to get to that point.
Very true. You may get leeway, but God forbid you messup.

Don't get me started on the Corps' PT uni. I mean really, reflecor belts in a combat zone? AF bases always seemed way more lax to me. I guess the grass is alwasy greener. :D

DSCN1596.jpg
I took this in LGA awhile back there were two of them parked at Signature. This wasn't the first time I've seen them at LGA.

Back