F-35 accident KABQ

You, of all people, should've understood that anything I wrote after tin foil hat was meant as humor, that's why I said tin foil hat. People are so sensitive these days, it's embarrassing.

You're a funny guy, when you're being funny. Your comments struck me more as those of someone who has watched too many alt-right botfarm lies, and is now "just asking questions" about them. *shrug*

This is a more long-form expose of what we're up against, but it's behind a pay-wall. Journalists have to get paid, too.

Consider: Your opinions are now the battlefield. It's up to you to be a sane, sober, prudent person. Lies are still lies, though. We are all going to have to do the work of determining what to believe, but "who knows, maybe it's true!" is exactly what the Russians (and Chinese) are shooting for. "Throw enough poop at the wall, and some of it sticks" is their information-war mantra. Don't be a victim. Not taking this threat seriously is what's really embarrassing.

This reminds me of stopping by a gas station in town today to grab a snack. There was a guy sitting in the truck parked next to where I parked. I got out (in my flight suit) and he yells at me "hey, you know the earth is flat?"

I'm not making this up, or exaggerating. That was the exact thing he said/asked me. I don't know if he was F'ing with me and had a really good poker face, or if he was serious. Based on where I live, I'd guess the latter. I couldn't even think of a response, I just laughed in his face and walked off (not intentionally, it was just so weird and random). It was possibly the weirdest interaction I've had in a very long time.

I would have said “I know the world’s not flat, because if it was, my cat would have knocked everything off by now”

No, quite the opposite. They have removed a ton of flights from the VT world, and it has fallen on us in the FRSs to make up the difference. The VT students don't CQ at all anymore, just FCLPs. And their hours are significantly less now, when they arrive to the FRS. This is all due to the multiple issues the T-45 fleet has suffered in the last 6-8 years (OBOGS, turbine blades x 2, etc)

I’m surprised that I’m not surprised. What have the FRS CQ’s looked like compared to years past?

Defense Contract Management Agency. Pilots from all the services assigned to this agency are involved in oversight of contracts, procurements, etc, for DOD and other agencies. They serve as acceptance pilots for factory aircraft,etc.

Those guys are uniformed, not GS? Nevermind then.

I’m surprised that I’m not surprised. What have the FRS CQ’s looked like compared to years past?

I honestly haven't followed it very closely, but my understanding is that the pass/fail rates haven't been drastically different than historical norms. It's PLM though, it just made it that much easier. Which is what made all of this something that they were willing to pursue.

I honestly haven't followed it very closely, but my understanding is that the pass/fail rates haven't been drastically different than historical norms. It's PLM though, it just made it that much easier. Which is what made all of this something that they were willing to pursue.

I haven’t kept up. PLM was having some teething problems a few years ago.

I guess the economics and availability FCLP’s could save some kids that are slightly behind the curve.

I guess the economics and availability FCLP’s could save some kids that are slightly behind the curve.

I think the last issue I remember with PLM was the flap blow up when you engaged well below on speed AoA/think super fast in the approach turn trying to stop an overshoot at high bank angle (thus very fast). The flaps in that scenario would never fully extend, and you end up basically flying an unintentional flaps AUTO pass. But the last I heard of that was in maybe 2018. I think they fixed that, and a whole lot of other things with the v40 software (invokes backup ATC, and generally addresses most of the failure modes that were limiting in the original software release), though v40 was a lot more recent than 2018......so maybe we just all figured it out in the interim and it didn't make the news anymore.

We’re teaching a drone to land on the boat… these people though… pain in the ass.

Honestly one of the questions we asked Raytheon during a “wish list” brief on the RW side was to take our coupled approach modes and sensors like the DVeps lidar and teach the helicopter to fly an approach to a point on the ship. Bonus points if the aircraft could track the boats position and fly the patterns.

There is no way you can convince me there isn’t a technological solution to landing assistance where the pilot is doing the minority of the work as a passive influence while the computer sees and executes with all the sensors we are sticking on aircraft these days. The harder challenge will be getting rid of the culture of “I have to have direct control.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea what the cause is obviously, but it seems to be a single engine fighter just doesn’t seem like a great idea to me. Nothing I’d want to do less than fly one of those across the ocean.
That's like the US Forest Service chirping about single engine turbine helicopters such as the Bell 205/ UH1H series as "unsafe" BITD.
Apparently to the USFS' chagrin there are some on contract and many civilian operators seem to think otherwise. Now there was some wiseacres at the Florida Forest Service who thought hangin buckets under AH1 was a wise idea until Dr Bell said otherwise...again a few years back.

I still would ride in a UH1 ALL day long after years of being a mechanic.........some of todays tech such as the F35...still has a few years to prove itself....

I flew contract Air Attack last year for state DNR but we could fly on USFS fires. Twin engine piston (AC500) was deemed unsafe so they replaced us with a PC12 and a Kodiak. Go figure...

I flew contract Air Attack last year for state DNR but we could fly on USFS fires. Twin engine piston (AC500) was deemed unsafe so they replaced us with a PC12 and a Kodiak. Go figure...
what's the real life SE performance on an AC500 at those density altitudes?

This reminds me of stopping by a gas station in town today to grab a snack. There was a guy sitting in the truck parked next to where I parked. I got out (in my flight suit) and he yells at me "hey, you know the earth is flat?"

I'm not making this up, or exaggerating. That was the exact thing he said/asked me. I don't know if he was F'ing with me and had a really good poker face, or if he was serious. Based on where I live, I'd guess the latter. I couldn't even think of a response, I just laughed in his face and walked off (not intentionally, it was just so weird and random). It was possibly the weirdest interaction I've had in a very long time.

“So is your wife, but you don’t hear me complaining…” :)

We operated in Eastern WA and only had two pax. The ones we flew had upgraded turbocharged engines. Not sure exactly about SE ceiling but it could hold 5000 on one. Just creeps me out flying in the mountains in a single engine anything, even if it's a turboprop. Flying big jets for 30 years did that too me.

We operated in Eastern WA and only had two pax. The ones we flew had upgraded turbocharged engines. Not sure exactly about SE ceiling but it could hold 5000 on one. Just creeps me out flying in the mountains in a single engine anything, even if it's a turboprop. Flying big jets for 30 years did that too me.

See that’s the thing in a helicopter… dual or single, in the mountains you’re probably making at best a controlled crash. You just hope you’re in that valley you can kind of coast down low enough to get into a forced decent profile for landing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To DE727UPS and Lawman

The Federal land management agencies have pilots on their books and it's probably a education problem where a pilot talks to a newer promoted forester types with nary a pilots certificate and now their claims are Part 107 types that MAYBE came from the helitac world and maybe some aviation background but not the extents of the world here on this site and the operators that the land management agencies contract with

There a few of us out here with both Forestry degrees and true aviation backgrounds that could explain both issues of turbine and piston helicopters and aircraft operations over mountainous terrain but to say one is "safer" than the other....welp...many have never had an engine shutdown or been in an autorotative "glide" to experience the "thrill!"

Back