Eyesight

Lui Suzuki

I have heard from many sources that to become a pilot (at least a commercial pilot) one must have perfect vision 20/20. Is this true? Is corrected vision by eyeglasses or contact lenses not valid? How about after LASIK eye surgery? Thank you :)

20/20 correctable by glasses/contacts is fine. I wore glasses for most of my career, and it was never an issue. Just did LASIK this year, and it was a great alternative, too.

The only issue with LASIK is that starting in your late 40s regardless of what you had fixed, near or far, your near vision will start to go downhill and you will eventually end up with readers.

The only issue with LASIK is that starting in your late 40s regardless of what you had fixed, near or far, your near vision will start to go downhill and you will eventually end up with readers.
Just happened to me. I had LASIK back in 2005 when I was about 22 years old. I was legally blind without glasses or contacts. LASIK got me to 20/20 and 20/15, basically 20/15 combined. 9 years later, my eyes have started to deteriorate again. I was able to squeak past my last 2 first class medicals with no glasses requirement, but this year (2 weeks ago actually) I was unable to read the 20/20 far sighted line...my near vision is still crystal clear, it's the far stuff and especially at night when it gets bad. I'm now the proud owner of a glasses restriction on my medical. I'm only 31...eat your carrots kids!

Just happened to me. I had LASIK back in 2005 when I was about 22 years old. I was legally blind without glasses or contacts. LASIK got me to 20/20 and 20/15, basically 20/15 combined. 9 years later, my eyes have started to deteriorate again. I was able to squeak past my last 2 first class medicals with no glasses requirement, but this year (2 weeks ago actually) I was unable to read the 20/20 far sighted line...my near vision is still crystal clear, it's the far stuff and especially at night when it gets bad. I'm now the proud owner of a glasses restriction on my medical. I'm only 31...eat your carrots kids!
Talk to your doc about a touch-up? That may be all you need.

Talk to your doc about a touch-up? That may be all you need.
I thought about it, however I don't know how much tissue I have left, and I wanted a touch-up a little farther down the road, around 40 I was thinking.

I have heard from many sources that to become a pilot (at least a commercial pilot) one must have perfect vision 20/20. Is this true? Is corrected vision by eyeglasses or contact lenses not valid? How about after LASIK eye surgery? Thank you :)

First off, you don't need 20/20. I think it's 20/40 maybe for a cut off? Secondly, as was said, as long as you can correct to that range with glasses or contacts you are fine.

Yeah, I think the 20/40 number is for 3rd class. The good news is that you can have pretty rotten eyesight and still be correctable to 20/20.

First off, you don't need 20/20. I think it's 20/40 maybe for a cut off? Secondly, as was said, as long as you can correct to that range with glasses or contacts you are fine.
20/20 Corrected for a 1st Class Medical

For far vision it's 20/20 corrected/uncorrected for 1st and 2nd class medicals and 20/40 for third class.

But for near vision, for all three first/second/third class, it's 20/40 corrected/uncorrected.

For far vision it's 20/20 corrected/uncorrected for 1st and 2nd class medicals and 20/40 for third class.

But for near vision, for all three first/second/third class, it's 20/40 corrected/uncorrected.

I stand corrected! Should have read the fine print.

My far vision is so bad my docs said it will be my near vision in the coming years. On the plus side I won't have to wear bi-focals.

A friend of mine said his LASIK doc told him "you can set the clock back, but you can't stop it".

I can't read the "E" on the chart without glasses/contacts and they still let me fly planes. You'll be fine.
Im right there with you. something like -10.5 on the left and -9.75 on the right. all in all equals contacts or thick ass glasses..but they still let me fly, so its all good.

And don't forget it's 20/20 for each eye. Make sure your glasses/contacts can read the line with one blocked.

Back