ExpressJet Plans for Potential Relaunch

StuckInRedDirt

"ExpressJet’s plans for 2021 and beyond are to provide high-quality, reliable, efficient point-to-point flying to small and medium sized cities that have lost service in recent years as a result of U.S. airline industry consolidation and COVID-19 driven route reductions." From ExpressJet Website

Additional link: Airways Mag Article

Won’t ever happen. Pretty sure they would have to recall all of their super senior (read:expensive) pilot group. Not to mention didn’t all of their birds go to Charlie 5? Not to be Darnell Downer but I wouldn’t put a ton of hope in this coming to fruition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Their first time doing this was (2003ish) for the most part pretty successful. They flew to cities that you actually WANTED to go - kind of like JetBlue in the beginning. Hopefully this time they will be able to compete.

Posted today. Any guesses or actual info about how many of their pilots they could get back at this point ?:

"According to ExpressJet, the goal is to start operations using a fleet of Embraer ERJ-145s to operate on underserved communities across the United States. The airline says that the 12-month outlook sees the company expand to over 300 employees."

"While a route map has not yet been announced...and will start in June 2021."

Didn't we try this already...?

It's an interesting concept, but I don't think it will be successful, based on their own history as well as that of ACA as a standalone carrier. People really like getting frequent flier miles they can use on major carriers in my experience - and they will have none to offer. Guess we'll find out what happens if they manage to get off the ground again!

You gotta figure MAXes are going for cheap these days.

So using the numbers from that article,

$60.4MM operating costs
120 departures/month for four months of flying (June until October), then 186 dep/mon for winter and spring (six months?)

So that's $60.4MM / (120*4 + 186*6) = $37,800 / departure.
Say an average 80% load factor(?) for 40 seats / departure = $945 / seat average to break even by March 2022.

Last edited:
June 2021 startup? Do they have the staffing for such an aggressive timetable? I imagine not many will be willing to return given the unstable nature of the company and a high likelyhood this venture will fail.

Pretty small numbers. As for crews needed, pick your own numbers: 2 crews per airplane ? Three tops ? Half a dozen DXers ? I predict they'll have no problem staffing the operation initially. I understand many pilots went elsewhere over the last months but I doubt all of them found a place to go.

In May, the airline plans to fly two ERJ145s and gradually grow to 12 planes by May 2022.”

“…and have an employee headcount of 261 people.”

Back