EXPRESS JET - 750 hours total time (for an interview)

Still requiring the 50 multi time? I've heard of a few places that say 50 on their website, but are ok with less as long as you'd meet the ATP mins by the end of training. Since you're now required to have the type rating to be SIC, they give you an ATP check ride at the completion of training.

Still requiring the 50 multi time? I've heard of a few places that say 50 on their website, but are ok with less as long as you'd meet the ATP mins by the end of training. Since you're now required to have the type rating to be SIC, they give you an ATP check ride at the completion of training.
Pretty sure 50 multi is required per the regulations and even the law.

Meeting the mins needs to happen before training starts since you won't get any flight time during training.

Pretty sure 50 multi is required per the regulations and even the law.

Meeting the mins needs to happen before training starts since you won't get any flight time during training.
I agree 50 multi is required to get the R-ATP, but 61.159 (a) (6) says that you can utilize up to 100 hrs in a full flight simulator towards the requirements. Is the sim training done by the majority of the airlines done in an full flight simulator?

Not really sure why any sane individual would come here.

Head on over to GoJet, Republic, or American Eagle (the real one). At least you might upgrade in less than 6 years.

And if you're a mil guy? You're crazy coming to this • show.

Head on over to GoJet, Republic, or American Eagle (the real one). At least you might upgrade in less than 6 years.

And if you're a mil guy? You're crazy coming to this show.

Seems to be a different story on the ERJ side. No idea what fences and such may look like once the contract and SLI are done but the ERJ side seems to have some movement. Latest system bid includes 84 upgrades.

And if you're a mil guy? You're crazy coming to this show.

Seems to be a different story on the ERJ side. No idea what fences and such may look like once the contract and SLI are done but the ERJ side seems to have some movement. Latest system bid includes 84 upgrades.
Yea the ERJ side is fine, as much as it can be anyway. Don't go to GoJet, Republic, or expect a quick upgrade at Eagle. Who cares about upgrade time anyway? This isnt that big of a deal anymore.

And that's all fine and well...and that has been the expectation all along. In regards to upgrades, 87 YTD on the ERJ and I believe it was 67 YTD on the CRJ side. So, yeah - they're winning the upgrade war - congratulations.

Those hired post 8/4/2010 will be DOH, as already established in the TPA. So, if they are rushing to come to this glorious company thinking an upgrade will be quick, they are going to be disappointed.

@Hacker15e It was with a heavy dose of sarcasm, however, if you are the believe that they are all sort of necessary evil for a mil guy - then well - I suppose you're right. I'd have to get down into the attrition numbers from the rated ranks, but I would highly suggest that a flyer coming off AD find a nice little guard unit to chill out at for a little while rather than come over an slug it out in 121 purgatory.

I would highly suggest that a flyer coming off AD find a nice little guard unit to chill out at for a little while rather than come over an slug it out in 121 purgatory.

A guy who retires doesn't have that option of going to the ANG/Reserve (and flying, at least). In my case, I'll be retired and non-current so far as jet/multi/professional flying, so I won't really have the option of going direct to the Majors unless there is some significant change in their hiring practices over the next two years.

Hacker15e said:
A guy who retires doesn't have that option of going to the ANG/Reserve (and flying, at least). In my case, I'll be retired and non-current so far as jet/multi/professional flying, so I won't really have the option of going direct to the Majors unless there is some significant change in their hiring practices over the next two years.

Over the next two years?

I'm no psychic, but if YOU don't make it straight to a legitimate company of your choosing - I'll buy you 1.5ltr of your choice of whisky.

Over the next two years?

I'm no psychic, but if YOU don't make it straight to a legitimate company of your choosing - I'll buy you 1.5ltr of your choice of whisky.

We shall see....what kind of whisky you'll have to pick up. hehe

If the hiring picture changes significantly, then I can see being able to do that. Given current trends, I have guys just as qualified as I am (and who are currently flying, unlike me who is currently riding a desk) who are not even getting job offers after interviews at the regionals, much less any of the majors. Now, some of that has to do with the technical aspect of many of the regional interviews (and that most of the tech piece covers the 121 stuff that military guys have quite literally never experienced, but only read about while cramming for ATPs); I know of two guys who were the "last ones standing" at their American Eagle interviews, and both were shown the door after the tech part.

None the less, the reality is for me, as someone who won't have actively professionally flown in a couple of years when I retire, I won't be able to walk in and get hired wherever I want. I'm likely going to have to fly for a regional for a bit before making the jump to the majors -- even as someone with plenty of PIC multi turbine time and good TMAAT stories.

And that's all fine and well...and that has been the expectation all along. In regards to upgrades, 87 YTD on the ERJ and I believe it was 67 YTD on the CRJ side. So, yeah - they're winning the upgrade war - congratulations.

Those hired post 8/4/2010 will be DOH, as already established in the TPA. So, if they are rushing to come to this glorious company thinking an upgrade will be quick, they are going to be disappointed.

I think that is the case for most companies other than Compass. The airlines that are known for quick upgrades will likely stagnate like Great Lakes. I wouldn't be surprised to see CommutAir start having issues soon an possibly stop upgrades.

BTW that was 84 for the bid. That nearly doubles the upgrades for the year on the ERJ side. It is just an example of movement finally starting to crank up a bit.

I don't get the CRJ emails. You don't need to start an "Us vs Them" fight. Not worth it.

I imagine going from military turbine flying to the regionals is like getting your Ph.D. at Harvard, and then going to teach for Devry.

Well, as I've said before, I'd much rather be going direct to the Majors (I'll be leaving a 100K/year job for a 20K/year job!), but I know enough of "the score" in the 121 industry to know that my currency/recency circumstances won't allow it. I've known for a while that this was probably going to be the required route to where I want to eventually be after I leave the military (career position at a 121 major).

I have zero 121 experience, so I still feel like there's plenty for me to learn about all aspects of it, from basic 121 ops, to airmanship/decisionmaking in a revenue-pax-carrying operation, to probably things I've never even thought of. I will ensure I use the time to get experience and knowledge to build my airmanship...not just sit there and think that my talents are being "wasted" at a job that is "below" my talents or experience level (which I have numerous military compatriots of similar experience who firmly believe).

I'm not expecting it to be "exciting" flying in any way whatsoever.

Well, as I've said before, I'd much rather be going direct to the Majors (I'll be leaving a 100K/year job for a 20K/year job!), but I know enough of "the score" in the 121 industry to know that my currency/recency circumstances won't allow it. I've known for a while that this was probably going to be the required route to where I want to eventually be after I leave the military (career position at a 121 major).

I have zero 121 experience, so I still feel like there's plenty for me to learn about all aspects of it, from basic 121 ops, to airmanship/decisionmaking in a revenue-pax-carrying operation, to probably things I've never even thought of. I will ensure I use the time to get experience and knowledge to build my airmanship...not just sit there and think that my talents are being "wasted" at a job that is "below" my talents or experience level (which I have numerous military compatriots of similar experience who firmly believe).

I'm not expecting it to be "exciting" flying in any way whatsoever.

I had a guy who joined our flying club who wanted to fly with me to learn the basics of the 172 before his PPL single checkride. Normally wouldn't be something I'd bat an eye at, except this particular guy had over 10k hours flying F-4s and A-10s in the Air Force, including sorties over 'Nam, and then went onto a career flying wide bodies transatlantic for NWA. The catch was that he had never earned a single engine rating at any point in his career and needed one to fly our Chickenhawk. Guy was incredibly humble and peppered me with questions about flying the airplane.
Felt like telling Derek Jeter how to swing a bat. Must say, though - incredibly impressed by the humility required to do that.

Maurus said:
I think that is the case for most companies other than Compass. The airlines that are known for quick upgrades will likely stagnate like Great Lakes. I wouldn't be surprised to see CommutAir start having issues soon an possibly stop upgrades. BTW that was 84 for the bid. That nearly doubles the upgrades for the year on the ERJ side. It is just an example of movement finally starting to crank up a bit. I don't get the CRJ emails. You don't need to start an "Us vs Them" fight. Not worth it.

Oh yeah? You must have me fooled with someone who is encouraged by this company, cause that would be the person trying to do an "us vs them" fight.

I do appreciate your concern though. You should receive the company wide JetStream corp. comm messages from our VP of Flt Ops (Jetstream product) in addition to the frequent Flt Ops updates that reference company wide attrition, new hire, and upgrade figures.

Nevertheless, my point still stands. Referencing upgrade times on the ERJ side as a selling point is, well, pointless...considering SLI and known DOH for those hired after 8/4/2010.

Back