Experience Question

amjon

Pilot and A Half (for now
Today I went for my second lesson. I went in a C172 instead of a Piper Warrior with a different instructor. I was terrified the first few minutes today. It was very bumpy on takeoff. I don't know if the plane type made a difference or if there were more thermals today. I think I would have been fine with the bumps if I had been in the back with someone I trusted flying (not that I didn't trust the CFI). I had a hard time keeping track of everything at the same time. I kind of remember feeling the same way when I first started driving (though that was a LONG time ago). I don't feel comfortable being in control of the plane. How many hours does it take before you start to feel more comfortable?

Amanda

It varies from person to person, but it will come. Feeling like there is way too much going on all at once is very normal for the first few lessons. Trust your instructor to know how you are doing.

Of course you don't....it's your second lesson. Try to relax and be patient with yourself. You didn't take up flying in order to be bored, did you?
It is weird, but I was WAY more relaxed on my first lesson. I guess I am just kind of surprised that I have absolutely no fear as a passenger, but do when I have the controls. Usually I feel much better when I am in control.

Well, being your second lesson, you're still drinking through a fire hose. Comfort and confidence will come in time as you gain familiarity with flying and things start clicking. Don't worry, the overwhelmed feeling is perfectly natural right now.

You'll be fine, trust me.

I go by the rule of threes: Everybody is relatively relaxed and does well on the first lesson. The second time they struggle a bit and the third one is almost always terrible (from the student's point of view, from the instructor's pov it's all normal progress) because they're putting pressure on themselves.

It's no big deal. Go out fly, have fun. :)

Today I went for my second lesson. I went in a C172 instead of a Piper Warrior with a different instructor. I was terrified the first few minutes today. It was very bumpy on takeoff. I don't know if the plane type made a difference or if there were more thermals today. I think I would have been fine with the bumps if I had been in the back with someone I trusted flying (not that I didn't trust the CFI). I had a hard time keeping track of everything at the same time. I kind of remember feeling the same way when I first started driving (though that was a LONG time ago). I don't feel comfortable being in control of the plane. How many hours does it take before you start to feel more comfortable?

Amanda

You should be ok by about 5 hours and do not go flying if it's bumpy if you're a new student. That won't do you any good.

You'll get de-sensitized to the bumps after a while. When I first started out it was a gusty, bumpy time of year and with two guys in a 152, it made for some interesting moments. There was one lesson - maybe my fourth or fifth, where the turbulence was so distracting to me that we cut the lesson short.

It's okay, though. You will get used to it. Just think of the air as a bumpy road - your plane will not fall out of the sky because of the bumps.

I'm a new student pilot too, and it took me about 5 hours to be completely comfortable in the airplane. That includes the bumps, and everything you mentioned. It will come, trust me :)

I started flying about three weeks ago, and it got so bumpy on one of my flights that my head hit the ceiling of the cabin (more than once). There was moderate turbulence on my first flight, and it seemed normal to me. Also, I had become fully comfortable in the airplane immediately after that flight. I actually enjoy flying around in turbulence since it doesn't really bother me and, sometimes, when I'm flying out to the practice area, I like to pull back on the yoke then forward once or twice to get that roller coaster feeling. That's just how I am.

The more you fly, the more confident you will feel. Just remember to trust yourself and your aircraft. I'm sure you'll do fine. :)

I would have to ask, why are you ,a new student, flying different types of planes ?. In general, you stay with the same type of aircraft. At least until you have abit of experience.

I would have to ask, why are you ,a new student, flying different types of planes ?. In general, you stay with the same type of aircraft. At least until you have abit of experience.

It's kind of a long story with more than one reason. I had originally scheduled the 172 for my discovery flight, but when I went they said it was down for the 100 hour inspection, so we had to take the Warrior. Then, when I called my instructor to schedule a lesson he was on vacation for awhile. I decided to call a guy that I went flying with awhile ago on the East coast, but he only had a 172. So, I ended up having a different plane and instructor for that lesson. When my instructor returns, I will probably just go in the Warrior again. I don't really think it made much of a difference, it was pretty much the same (but the Cessna seemed WAY harder to taxi).

Both the Warrior and the 172 are great planes to train in so you'll be fine either way. They each have their own quirks and differences, but you're right... a 172 is harder to taxi, or more accurately, just won't want to turn for you without brake.

Both the Warrior and the 172 are great planes to train in so you'll be fine either way. They each have their own quirks and differences, but you're right... a 172 is harder to taxi, or more accurately, just won't want to turn for you without brake.

Yeah, what's the deal with that? Full left on the pedals and you're barely moving over.

I didn't fly a 172 until after I got my private. The first time I taxied the plane, I thought I was gonna be yanked out of the cockpit and submitted to a breathalyzer test. It was just really touchy and weird compared to the Piper.

i have only flown pipers, and im going to get my cfii in a 172... hope my instructor doesnt have to take controls before i take off.

i have only flown pipers, and im going to get my cfii in a 172... hope my instructor doesnt have to take controls before i take off.

The first instructor in the Warrior told me I was doing really good taxiing for being new, then I get in the 172 and it keeps ending up in the grass (or so close the instructor had to take over before we ended up there). I didn't know there was such a big difference. Noone mentioned that.

the warriors nose gear can be turned 20 degrees off center each direction for a total of 40 degrees along with assemetric breaking and ruder control. what does it say in the 172 poh?

The two planes shouldn't be THAT much different. I'm thinking you may have just had a rough day, plus the first few times in bumps can be a little unsettling. What you're feeling is normal and it will pass in a few lessons so don't worry about it.

Back