Experience Question

The C172 (or any light cessna) has a significantly different feel than the Warrior/Arrow/etc family. You are right in saying that taxiing is more touchy, and more than anything you have an entirely different visual perspective sitting in the cockpit of the Cessna. I think for some people, having that wing out there makes it feel safer or something....maybe that is you as well (I remember feeling this way early on). Also, lightweight high wing aircraft fly very differently. Managing energy and floating in such an aircraft during landing/flare can be challenging, and I always felt more solid landing a low wing single be it the Warrior, Arrow, Bonanza, T-34, etc. I am personally not a fan of Cessnas, but I know that many folks are completely satisfied flying them and do so exclusively.

With regard to experience, it will just take getting used to the aircraft, and being in the air. I have had short periods of what you are describing pretty much each time I have moved to a significantly more capable aircraft. It's just having a comfort level, and of course learning to be ahead of the aircraft rather than miles behind it. I think that comfort level is relative, and not necissarily based on overall experience. I had 8 years and several hundred hours of experience in low and high performance singles (where I felt very comfortable) before I made the transition to a jets and it was really like being back on those first few Cessna flights all over again, so believe it when I say that it is not just you (nor will this be the last time you have this feeling). Like has been mentioned, just do your best to focus on learning from your mistakes and having some fun. Good luck!

Just an aside, the reason the two aircraft taxi differently is that the Piper has a direct linkage for nose wheel steering while the Cessna has a spring linkage. That's why the Cessna has that mushy feel while taxiing.

learning curves aren't linear. you'll have good and bad days, especially so new to the game. totally normal, it only gets better.

You will feel more and more comfortable being at the controls as you gain experience. It might seem overwhelming right now and that is normal. It will get easier.

If you can, try to fly early in the morning. It is usually much cooler and smoother, especially in Florida. It might make your flight lessons a bit more enjoyable. Good luck and remember to enjoy your training. It will only get better and more interesting. :)

Back