Ever had a post-epileptic patient?

wainscottbl

So in the next year or so I should be getting some kind of surgery for epilepsy. We are looking at 3 options.

1. Brain surgery itself where part of the brain is cut into or removed.
2. VNS (Vagus Nerve Stimulator)
3. Some device inserted into the brain similar to the VNS, but the VNS is placed in the chest like a pacemaker and the wire runs to the Vagus nerve of course, which goes to the brain)

Anyway brain surgery would be the idea option since it is more likely to get rid of the seizures but for me it is the less likely option as my seizures are localized in a large area of the temporal and parietal lobe. Thus my doctor tells me it would be rather hard to operate on such a large area, plus certain dangers to basic functions in those regions. The VNS and other device (which I cannot think of the name) would likely not "cure" the seizures but would reduce them though I do hope! Of course reduction will not help me in regarding to flying But let's just say the seizures do stop and I go off medication eventually.

1. Have you ever had a person applying for a medical who had a seizure disorder at one time?
2. If they were seizure free for 10 years without medication are they automatically denied and have to appeal? I know a friend with a history of alcoholism had to do that. And though this is more than ten years off how long would such an appeal take if one was needed. TIA.

1) Yes
2) The certification decision is made by the FAA. It takes them about 8 weeks after you submit ALL of the medical records.

1) Yes
2) The certification decision is made by the FAA. It takes them about 8 weeks after you submit ALL of the medical records.

Only 8 weeks? Gee, I thought it would be typical bureaucratic BS of waiting for months on end. It's just a matter of whatever my history is too risky I suppose, even if I am 10 years free and no medicine. Time will tell. Thanks, doc.

Back