A Blast From the Past

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
I went through MD-88/90 school back in 2000 and there were two captains and two FO's, one was myself and the other was Steve Kelly.

We would all come back from ground school absolutely brain dead, me and the other two captains would go eat Mexican food and drown our sorrows in mugs of Dos Equis and Steve would go out and do time trials on his bike around the neighborhood or run. Not jog like a rational person, but go really fast.

Anyway, I'm proud to say I know this guy:

Perseverance: How a Delta family overcame obstacles to cross the finish line
April 23, 2015
SteveHollycollage.jpg

This article has a shareable version! Go here to share this story with your friends and family.

I am a very proud wife.

I married Steve Kelly, then a SLC-based Delta pilot, Air Force Academy graduate and Air Force Special Operations helicopter pilot, in 2007. Seven months later he was deployed to Afghanistan where he flew helicopters that rescued sick and injured service members from sites throughout the region.

While deployed he slipped on a sandbag and injured his left hip, which led the Air Force doctors to discover a mass on his pelvis. Their initial surgical plan was to amputate Steve's entire left leg, including the hip joint. When he returned home from his deployment, we went to the Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City to seek a second opinion – it was then that the tumor was diagnosed as bone cancer.

The diagnosis was a shock. Instantly the wheels went into motion for our family to help him get well. In January 2009, Steve had an 18-hour surgery at Huntsman to remove the tumor. We owe everything to Dr. Kevin Jones and his wonderful staff who performed the surgery to save his life and left leg. The surgery removed the cancer, along with bone, muscle and nerves that has left his leg severely impaired, necessitating a medical leave from Delta. He has been cancer free now for six years.

In addition to flying, Steve has been a recreational cyclist for more than 25 years. After the surgery, he had to learn how to walk again. There would even be times where I would move his left leg for him; he says I am his "left leg." His impairment limited his athletic endeavors to cycling. So, he set a goal for himself - to be a member of Para-cycling's Team USA and compete in an international event.

He trained for many years with outdoor bike rides in the summer months, indoor cycling classes during the winter season and numerous trips to Los Angeles to train in the indoor velodrome.

In February, he competed in a world qualifying event and earned a spot to compete in the 2015 UCI Para-cycling Track World Championships in Apeldoorn, Netherlands, as a member of Team USA.

While Steve was competing in the Netherlands, we kept in touch and stayed updated through daily emails. Our family also gathered to watch one of his two races live on YouTube. When we saw his victorious fist pump as he crossed the finish line it brought tears to my eyes. I, along with our family and friends, could not be any prouder of him, especially knowing he couldn't walk six years ago.

Team USA is now ranked as the number one Paracycling team in the world. Steve is ranked 12th in the world in his C4 Paralympic cycling classification.

Although he is no longer flying, Steve is pursuing and achieving his dream with the love and support from family, friends and his former Delta coworkers.

It makes my heart happy to know I have been a big part of "Team Kelly" and helped him achieve his dream in making Team USA and racing well in Para-cycling Track Worlds.

While Steve was saving lives in Afghanistan, a simple fall saved his own life and marked the beginning of his journey to becoming a World class cyclist. I hope his story will inspire others to keep reaching for their dreams when they have obstacles in life, knowing they can overcome with the love and support from family and friends.

Holly Kelly, Salt Lake City-based flight attendant.

Back