Essay About Becoming a Pilot By An 8 Year Old

I_Money

Written by an anonymous 8 year old… funny =)

I want to be a pilot

“I want to be a pilot when I grow up… because it’s a fun job and easy to do. That’s why there are so many pilots flying today. Pilots don’t need much school, they must learn numbers so they can read instruments. Pilots should be brave so that they won’t be scared if it’s foggy and they can’t see, or if a wing or motor falls off they should stay calm so they’ll know what to do. Pilots have to have good eyes to see through clouds and they can’t be afraid of lightning or thunder because they’re closer to them than we are. The salary pilots make is another think I like. They make more money than they can spend. This is because most people think plane flying is dangerous except pilots don’t, because they know how easy it is. There isn’t much I don’t like, except girls like pilots and all the stewardesses want to marry pilots so they always have to chase them away so they don’t bother them. I hope I don’t get air sick because I get car sick and if I get air sick I couldn’t be a pilot, then I’d have to go to work.

That poor kid is in for a rude awakening!
laugh.gif

Im not sure if thats cute or sad, but definately reflects how little people think. I've visited classes at my sister's school a bunch of times over the past few years (she's 10 now) and they definately are in aw over flying. I think their big concerns were if pilots could eat all the peanuts they wanted as well as what would happen if the wings fall off a plane. Go figure.

I think it's funny AND sad, and does pretty much reflect the average person's perspective on things.

My favorite part:
--------------------------------
"Pilots should be brave so that they won’t be scared if it’s foggy and they can’t see, or if a wing or motor falls off they should stay calm so they’ll know what to do."
----------------------------------

No truer words were spoken little man! The wings-and/or-motor-falling-off-the-plane lesson is the most exciting one in the syllabus!
grin.gif

Sounds like something I wrote when I was eight, although it is pretty cool to ask a "Earth Person" what they think of a pilot

I think that is beyond precious. Who cares if it reflects the perception? Should all 8 year olds be fully informed of every job out there, what it takes to get it, and how hard it really is? I miss the times when you could be so innocent because it didn't matter. I found an essay my dh wrote when he was in second grade, saying he wanted to buy a furari cause it's fast and that he was going to open a hamburger store where you could only buy the hamburger if you had a furari. Kids are special.

[ QUOTE ]
Kids are special...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with you wholeheartedly on that one. I absolutely love talking to my 4 year old nephew about flying. He loves any kind of airplane, but especially the "bi-wing" kind. He's going to get one when he's older so he and I can fly places together--I can't wait!

I gave him a wind-up styrofoam bipe, we'll let it rip, and he'll run, chase it, trip, stomp on it, we'll fix it, and then do it again. You just can't buy that kind of fun watching someone so small with such enthusiasm and simplistic joy.

What's great about the 8yr old's little essay is the optimism about being a pilot that still comes through despite what the uninformed folks around him must have told him about the profession.

Um, folks ... hate to break this to ya. This is a joke. It's been passed around in many different forms but they all say about the same thing in the same order.
grin.gif

Kinda lkie the note from the little girl to the captain that reads, "Dear Captain I like your airplane, Flying is fun. etc. etc" then ends with "Don't • up the landing."
grin.gif

Ah. Why does everybody want to be so tricky these days? Should have checked truthorfiction.com first I guess lol.

well there goes my great idea about starting up a crtique forum for works of literary importance from authors under 10.

...I could see my nephew saying something like this though, which is the only reason I bought it, they do say some great stuff.

It's funny how a company has this on their website and they attribute it to Tommy Tyler, 5th Grade, Jefferson School, Beaufort, SC. I would think that a 5th grader would have better writing skills then are shown by this letter, and I would hope that the web site designer would know about TruthorFiction.com, but alas, the world is full of idiots.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I think that is beyond precious. Who cares if it reflects the perception? Should all 8 year olds be fully informed of every job out there, what it takes to get it, and how hard it really is? I miss the times when you could be so innocent because it didn't matter. I found an essay my dh wrote when he was in second grade, saying he wanted to buy a furari cause it's fast and that he was going to open a hamburger store where you could only buy the hamburger if you had a furari. Kids are special.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with "the wife". Truth or not, its cute. He may be in for a rude awakeing, but werent we all? Most people on this site said they wanted to fly ever since we could walk. Did you know then about fuloughs? all the training it took? Days away from home? sleeping in nasty crash pads! and whatever else i still dont know about being an airline pilot.

That rules! I think I'll have to get that tattooed somewhere.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Written by an anonymous 8 year old…

[/ QUOTE ]
And someone should really get that kid a name ... its been 8 years already!

We have a family joke, they call me Pirate Jim.

True Story: A friend of ours was driving one day when thier 5yr. Old, Benny, says "Mommy is Mr. McMahon a nice person"? Mom respose "well Yes he is a very nice person". a few minutes pass and Benny says "Mommy does Mr. McMahon hurt people"? Mom growing concerned says "No Mr. McMahon doesn't hurt people" Then Benny says "Mom does Mr. McMahon steal from people"? Benny's Mom now asks Benny why he is asking these questions and Benny said "Mom you told me Mr. McMahon is a Pirate (Pilot).

HARDY HAR HAR
grin.gif

Leaving lurk mode.

I was flying a small turboprop for a commuter. Following the landing at a small southern city an Asian man came up to the cockpit and said the following:

"Ahh you vely good pirate. I tank you for the fright. You rika meeta my daughter?"

So me a vely good pirate
tongue.gif

Aarrgg matey!! Love those "pirate" reports.

Even if the childs report is bogus, it does reflect the general misunderstanding of the general public concerning aviation.

And yes, the sweet innocence of a child, it is very precious indeed.

I belong to the Oregon Pilots Ass. here and when we were ordering T- shirts to be printed for our summer picnic the person at the print office got our verbal order wrong and thought she said Ore. "Pirates" Ass.! We almost ended up with that printed. We actually got such a kick out of it we went ahead and had the printed word pilots crossed off with pirates on top of it. A classic.

[ QUOTE ]
Even if the childs report is bogus, it does reflect the general misunderstanding of the general public concerning aviation.

[/ QUOTE ] Maybe the general public is smarter where I am because I have never heard anyone say that being a pilot was easy and glamourous. When people find out that's what my dh wants to do they are sympathetic and ask how I feel about it. No one is ever jealous or even happy for me for that matter. (Ok not that they AREN'T happy for me, just not like "yah! That's wonderful") I've only had one person ever say something about the money being good and since her dh was in a band and a hotel shift manager, I am sure just about anything would be good money.

[ QUOTE ]
"Mom you told me Mr. McMahon is a Pirate (Pilot).

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, C650, it would help things immensely if you didn't run around wearing a bandana, eye-patch an old navy overcoat and carrying a rapier. Oh, and screaming "abaste 'ye mateys" and "shiver me timbers" at every opportunity does no good either ...
grin.gif

Back