ERAU CAPT Program

AA

Anybody know much, or have any input on the new Riddle CAPT Program. Pretty curious to know if it is worth it or not.

My only question is who is the author of the website?

There's this underground disinformation campaign between some of the schools and I think I've spent more time on 'geektools.com' digging up registration information and traceroutes.

Such fun!

In fact, apparently one of FSI's competitors is spreading rumors about FSI closing their operation and I've I had a volley of emails just this morning.

I'm thinking of making a big "gameboard" of flight school gossip and rumors, putting a flagged-pin on flight schools with rumors swirling around about them and then seeing the ones that haven't been flagged yet to unscientifically place blame!
smile.gif

I really have no idea who created the website. I saw the link posted elsewhere, and it created quite a stir. I have no opinion of the program either way, since I don't know much about it, however I'm always leery of programs like this.

Check out the FlightSafety thread about a lawsuit, pretty interesting take on what goes on behind the scenes at an aviation website.

The www.captiscrap.com web site was not set up by competing schools. It was established by current CAPT students to help warn and give insight to naïve consumers and future professional aviators who may not know what to look for or what to ask when looking into this program.. Especially the ab initio type student.

I know this for a fact.

I'm curious as to if a current student of the program is so upset, why is he still a member of it?

I wasn't too happy with MBNA Visa so I pretty much dumped them and tore up my card.

Maybe a lawyer has suggested they continue that holding pattern until litigation is complete.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious as to if a current student of the program is so upset, why is he still a member of it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good Question Doug, I was thinking the same thing. If life is soooo bad, GET OUT. To borrow an old line from someone:
If they screw you once, shame on them ! If they screw you twice, shame on you.

[ QUOTE ]
The www.captiscrap.com web site was not set up by competing schools. It was established by current CAPT students to help warn and give insight to naïve consumers and future professional aviators who may not know what to look for or what to ask when looking into this program.. Especially the ab initio type student.

I know this for a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me thinks AJM is one of two things, maybe both...
1. A current student and cannot seem to get out
-or-
2. A creator/co-creator of the site.

Again...if it is so bad, GET OUT

I have nothing to get out of. I just know how this industry tries to take advantage of the non-informed. Which your site does a pretty good job of informing, Doug. It is to bad students are not required to visit your site as well as fligthinfo.com before they sign on for their ratings anywhere.

Fly4free you do realize your analogy did not make sense… right?

I know a couple CFI's over at the CAPT program. They know their stuff and seem like good people to me. I do agree that it's a very expensive program and there are claims of guaranteed employability on the CAPT website. What that means I have no clue.

[ QUOTE ]
Fly4free you do realize your analogy did not make sense… right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, but I would guess this was the quote that didn't make sense...to you
[ QUOTE ]
If life is soooo bad, GET OUT. To borrow an old line from someone:
If they screw you once, shame on them ! If they screw you twice, shame on you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me try to straighten it out.....
If someone does something bad or something that effects you in a less than desired manner, then shame on them for doing so.
If they do something like that again, then shame on you. Shame on you because you allowed it to happen again by remaining in the situation.

One other question, you say you know this for a fact... What fact, we don't know where you facts are from or your background so when you make that general statement without any type of proof/facts, it comes off as an arrogant/know-it-all kind of answer.

I just think that it is sad. ERAU had another program befor CAPT that they advertised for a few months, before switching the ads to CAPT. It just sounds like they didn't have their act together. Like they were sitting around trying to scheme a way to bilk money away from unsuspecting pilot wannabes who are too lazy to be a CFI and have money to burn. I think that the 'guaranteed employability' is probably a joke.

It's funny and sad how foolish people are about this stuff. I remember arguing with a few students here at FSI about a year ago. The students were angry that FSI didn't have guaranteed interviews like ATA, Pan Am, etc. They wondered why a big school like ours did not have this. I told them the other schools were simply lying. At the time none of the carriers listed by ATA or Pan Am were hiring and infact had large numbers furloughed. They had a hard time believing this. I guess if you see it in print in a major magazine it must be true or something... Not long after this ATA closed its doors and Pan Am changed its ads so they didn't have all the airline logos at the bottom. They also changed the program they had where you paid all this money and if you didn't get a job in a certain period of time you got your money back, I can't even remember what it was called.

The truth is if you go to a flight school, get your ratings and instruct for enough hours, you will get hired. I am biased toward the big schools (I went to FSI), but you can easily meet the same goals and end up at the same place at an FBO. The academies make it easier to quickly rack up hours and it is easier to get more multi time at an academy (alot of the instructors here getting interviews have 1200-1500 hours and over 500 multi). But, if you have a good FBO near home, that has a twin you can instruct in, this is also a possiblility. I see no reason to just hand over a bag of cash to something like CAPT. The bottom line is that if the airlines are hiring, and you have the hours, you will get an interview. The guarantee is mostly a marketing ploy.

Various lawsuits are ongoing at some of the flight schools that make the false statements such as “guaranteed interview” and “guaranteed employment”. You know which ones they are. Now that Flying magazine has all the flight school ads clumped-up in a new “Training & Technique” section, it is easy to check out which school has the best hook line and sinker. Here are a few more for your reading pleasure:

“Dedicated to providing you the fastest, and most economical route to an airline career.”

“Even in today’s job market, 97% of our graduates are hired as First Officers!”

“We offer the best value in the flight training business PERIOD!”

“We provide professional flight training in the shortest amount of time possible, for an affordable price.”

“########## not only provides the best training in the industry but also the best opportunity for Part-121 airline employment.”

“The First Officer program offers advantages found nowhere else.”

“Where you train says a lot about where you’ll go.”

“Fast track to an Airline Career.”

“Job guaranteed upon completion of training”

“Choose an Academy whose only goal is to get you hired at an airline – sooner than possible anywhere else.”

Four ads have the fastest training. Three ads have the lowest cost. Seven have wording that makes you think they will find you a pilot job in the airlines. Examples: First Officer Program, Airline Career, Job Guarantee, Only goal is to get you hired at an airline, 97% of our graduates are hired as First Officers, route to the airlines, best opportunity for Part 121 airline employment.

What committee or association gives out the ratings for these schools? Consumers Report, AAA, FAA, Flying Magazine, Aviation Websites, other source? We need a rating system and association to rate each school and maybe this will stop the nonsense and false ads.

Here are a few of the names for such an association.

FSRA -- Flight School Rating Association

NFSRA – National Flight School Rating Association

GFSAJA – Guaranteed Flight School & Airline Job Association

[ QUOTE ]
The truth is if you go to a flight school, get your ratings and instruct for enough hours, you will get hired. I am biased toward the big schools (I went to FSI), but you can easily meet the same goals and end up at the same place at an FBO. The academies make it easier to quickly rack up hours and it is easier to get more multi time at an academy (alot of the instructors here getting interviews have 1200-1500 hours and over 500 multi). But, if you have a good FBO near home, that has a twin you can instruct in, this is also a possiblility. I see no reason to just hand over a bag of cash to something like CAPT. The bottom line is that if the airlines are hiring, and you have the hours, you will get an interview. The guarantee is mostly a marketing ploy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put ananoman. I think your paragraph sums up the state of the industry and which route to take quite well.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I get an Amen... Amen !!

I was under the impression that most (US) airlines required around 800 hours TT for insurance purposes, although I think the ERAU CAPT program has "agreements" with certain regionals and assert that they adequately prepare their students for the rigorous 121 training.

At any rate, if I were to re-start my training today, I'd still abide by the old adage: <font color="black"> CAVEAT EMPTOR!! </font>

Back