Chris16

Just curious as to how envoy’s schedule is for new hire captains. I’ve heard a lot of rumors that it’s not commutable at all. I appreciate the info.

I dont work for Envoy, but being a new hire captain, you'll be on the bottom of the captain list for a really long time as the FO's senior to you upgrade. But I guess that's why there are new hire captains, the FOs don't want to upgrade.

At least you can bid for next day's trips on reserve days. (if they kept that in the contract.) Or bid for afternoon ready reserve for your first day of your reserve block. That way you'd guarantee yourself a late show and use the morning to commute in. Or failing that, just bid a PM RAP period. Then if you're still sitting around your hotel on day 5, bid a AM reserve block or an AM ready for your last day of reserve, then be done by 2pm and commute home on your last day.

I dont work for Envoy, but being a new hire captain, you'll be on the bottom of the captain list for a really long time as the FO's senior to you upgrade. But I guess that's why there are new hire captains, the FOs don't want to upgrade.

At least you can bid for next day's trips on reserve days. (if they kept that in the contract.) Or bid for afternoon ready reserve for your first day of your reserve block. That way you'd guarantee yourself a late show and use the morning to commute in. Or failing that, just bid a PM RAP period. Then if you're still sitting around your hotel on day 5, bid a AM reserve block or an AM ready for your last day of reserve, then be done by 2pm and commute home on your last day.

I worked for eagle until 2013. Not sure the new rules if any. However yes you could proffer for open trips while on reserve. If you could pick up a 4 day it was just like being a line holder as long as everything stayed on schedule.
You could also proffer for a rap however you would not get results iirc until after 5pm. So if you got a 4am rap your screwed unless you have a really short commute.
I’ve heard nothing has changed on the red rules but I don’t know that for sure.

Three letters. L. G. A.

Don't do it.
IT'S A TRAP

97fa4a3c792068ee28735ecfef0fd072.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I left a year ago and was a junior CA on the CRJ when I left. Day one of reserve is pre-assigned 4am RAP. So if you commute, you will need to be within 2 hours of your domicile at 4am on day one. Lots of airport ready with no compensation above guarantee. Six day reserve blocks are common and you may start on a two or three day trip that gets extended to the full six days. There are restrictions to the extensions but they get creative to ensure they don’t apply. (Turn back)

I spent 7 years there and overall it was a positive experience. However the last few years were increasingly less positive. Being a senior FO use to mean QOL- but the flying really got worse to the point of no QOL even as the top 10% bidder I was on the FO side. Can’t do day trips if they don’t have any day trips.

If you want fresher information I can put you in touch with several people. PM me if you wish.

I left a year ago and was a junior CA on the CRJ when I left. Day one of reserve is pre-assigned 4am RAP. So if you commute, you will need to be within 2 hours of your domicile at 4am on day one. Lots of airport ready with no compensation above guarantee. Six day reserve blocks are common and you may start on a two or three day trip that gets extended to the full six days. There are restrictions to the extensions but they get creative to ensure they don’t apply. (Turn back)
I really do have nothing but good things to say about my (admittedly quite brief) time there; I miss many of the reserve and scheduling features that were present, although I understand that 1113(c) clobbered some of them.

If you're going to be the plug for Captains for years to come you may as well plan on moving in base. Or just giving up your whole life. Whatever you want.

If you're going to be the plug for Captains for years to come you may as well plan on moving in base. Or just giving up your whole life. Whatever you want.

Not sure about years to come. Considering upgrade time for a zero time FO is only about 1.5-2 years. After that time you’ll be senior to any upgrades.

Not sure about years to come. Considering upgrade time for a zero time FO is only about 1.5-2 years. After that time you’ll be senior to any upgrades.
2 years is still 2 years. I get it though, I don't have kids or a wife so my perception may be skewed. Do what you have to do.

Ready reserve lines are another way to avoid that 0400 RAP on day one too. I'm on 1500 ready reserve all month...kinda sucks being at the airport so much, but it's pretty much the only reserve line that's commutable on both ends for me (last day is a 1000 RAP since they can't give you 1500 ready on your last day in most circumstances). Like others have said though...I really can't reccomend this place to anyone who has the mins to upgrade unless they're ok with LGA....bottom line is you'll be in LGA for a long time at the bottom of reserve. I'm thinking of moving back east when upgrade time comes though...ORD and DFW are both very senior on the captain side.

Ready reserve lines are another way to avoid that 0400 RAP on day one too. I'm on 1500 ready reserve all month...kinda sucks being at the airport so much, but it's pretty much the only reserve line that's commutable on both ends for me (last day is a 1000 RAP since they can't give you 1500 ready on your last day in most circumstances). Like others have said though...I really can't reccomend this place to anyone who has the mins to upgrade unless they're ok with LGA....bottom line is you'll be in LGA for a long time at the bottom of reserve. I'm thinking of moving back east when upgrade time comes though...ORD and DFW are both very senior on the captain side.
You mean an entire line of ready reserve? That sounds horrible.

You mean an entire line of ready reserve? That sounds horrible.
2/2 regionals I've worked for are obsessed with having ready reserves.

If forced to commute to reserve, I'd rather have a line full of preassigned RDY than be thrown it at random.

(I am also probably a minority in that regard.)

Problem I ran into having the ready reserve line is they hardly ever give you overnights. Thus you end up spending a lot of night in a crash pad. They’ll have you go do a turn then give the rest of the trip to a guy on RAP

Problem I ran into having the ready reserve line is they hardly ever give you overnights. Thus you end up spending a lot of night in a crash pad. They’ll have you go do a turn then give the rest of the trip to a guy on RAP
Also true. (It's a fuzzy memory, but aren't they supposed to just let you go after the last departure from your domicile anyway?)

2/2 regionals I've worked for are obsessed with having ready reserves.

If forced to commute to reserve, I'd rather have a line full of preassigned RDY than be thrown it at random.

(I am also probably a minority in that regard.)
I'm probably in the minority too...it really doesn't bother me though. ORD isn't the worst place to sit ready. There's a gym at the Hilton on site that I go to everyday I sit. Obviously if I lived in base, I would not be bidding an rr line though. Plus, with where I'm at on the reserve list rr is literally the only way to get a flight right now. Too Jr to proffer and get trips and too Sr to get called out of a RAP

Back