Enroute activities?

C150J

Hi guys -

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are you allowed to do during long enroute legs? In the 135 environment, I saw pilots bust out magazines sometimes. Of course, maintaining SA was a priority, but they did read nonetheless. I remember the flight deck door opening on an Aer Lingus flight (New York to Shannon) to see the CA reading the newspaper. A JetBlue first officer claimed to be emailing a friend of mine from the flight levels (it was sent after he landed, or so he says). What's the deal? I know that, on some military transports, only one pilot needs to be at the controls during certain conditions.

Thanks!
J.

That's for some of us to know and you to hopfully find out!
grin.gif

Riiiiiiight!

Like anyone's going to answer THAT one and risk getting quoted in another one of USAToday's poorly researched airline stories!

Personally, I read my Flight Standards Manual, Operations Manual, and quiz the captain on his emergency memory items and limitations
tongue.gif
insane.gif

What did I win? That is the right answer, isn't it?

I read all the numbers on each display... over and over and over again.... sometimes I get to do this for two-and-a-half-hours....

I Monitor Atlanta Radio vigilantly on a Beautiful VFR day on the west coast while the captain has his hands on the controls and monitors the guages 100% of the time.

I dillegently monitor 121.5 and confirm and reconfirm flight path, airspeed and configuration!

[ QUOTE ]
I dillegently monitor 121.5 and confirm and reconfirm flight path, airspeed and configuration!

[/ QUOTE ]

This whole thread really cracks me up
smile.gif

I remember riding in seat 2A of a 1900 one day while non-revving. Just for kicks I looked closely at the polished hub spinner. Well whaddya know - right there in the spinner - a perfect reflection of the captain - reading the paper!

I had this confirmed later by Perry Moehnke - he had notice the same thing LOL.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I remember riding in ...a 1900 ...I looked closely at the polished hub spinner....the captain - reading the paper!

[/ QUOTE ]
The first Darwin Award Nominee of 2005
smirk.gif

Hmmm. No autopilot and short legs.....Boy, with that attention span he'll really get board on those long 1:00 hr flights won't he?

We occasionally listen to air to air freqs, and laugh at all the CFIs and freight dogs asking each other how high they are and how fast their going.

From the FL400s we can hear the south FL guys from Louisiana.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I read my Flight Standards Manual, Operations Manual, and quiz the captain on his emergency memory items and limitations
tongue.gif
insane.gif

What did I win? That is the right answer, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The sad thing is I truly HAVE been doing this lately! I know - I'm a loser - but that's what an upcoming upgrade class will do to ya'!

Jason

Given the popularity of the wanking thread in the lav, it's pretty clear how many of you might occupy your time during cruise in a single-pilot cargo operation!
blush.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well whaddya know - right there in the spinner - a perfect reflection of the captain - reading the paper!

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty sure what you actually saw was the Capt diligently comparing known radio position against his low/high altitude or VFR charts. Nowadays, these new fangled color charts can sometimes look like and be confused with a USA Today newspaper...right?
wink.gif
tongue.gif

If we rephrase the question, could we get some better responses? I've sat up front on a few occasions as an intern and have seen some of the things that go on, so I'm interested to hear what everyone else does to pass the time.

So, who has heard from their best friend's uncle, who heard from his sister, that heard from her husband, anything interesting that pilots do to help pass the time??

Back