Endeavor Air - Honest answers

jynxyjoe

Queso King
So look, maybe another current Endeavor guy needs to comment here but twice today I've had guys come up to me saying "hey I can't wait to get on with Endeavor." Both were in MSP, both were employees at the airport that were non crewmember jobs. I said good luck to both trying to not say what I was thinking (it's the hallways of MSP, who needs my ranting ass when the guys are just trying to be nice). It occured to me, that it's time for anyone looking into Endeavor honestly have an honest writeup from a current Employee.

As I'm sure any lurker of any web board knows, Endeavor has some big announcement coming up soon that is a "unique solution" to solve our hiring crisis. I don't know what the annoucement is, but if Delta is saying it they probably know what they are talking about. Just remember, it may alienate the current workforce, and this place won't survive until Decemember if the #'s leaving goto 90 a month

Attrition - We are losing 45-49 pilots a month. Last year 2 FO's left for every captain and Endeavor says they are going to reverse the trend. So far it's pretty even, 10 more captains going than FO's. In June, when the flow stops, FO's will outnumber CA's leaving if this trend continues. We are accelerating -200 parking this month and staying on that schedule going forward. Supposedly this will all be fixed, when Delta announces the new plan going forward.

Fleet plan - 81 -900's are the plan. We are wholly owned and that means we are the shock absorber. Obviously there is some plan, but no matter what HR tells you, we are set to go down to 81 -900's. Supposedly Anderson has said in a shareholders meeting that the 30 -900's that are options will goto Endeavor. I don't have any first hand knowledge of that call, but historically ASA gets first crack at every airplane as long as they trade 2:1 on their -200s (my understanding). They've always grabbed a slice of the airplanes, and that has been after Delta ripped -900's from Freedom, to give to Comair, then to Pinnacle, then to Mesaba, and finally ASA got 10 and Mesaba ended up with 5. Delta promised the -900's to Comair and they split between ASA and Mesaba. I'm not saying Delta is bad people, but at any airline, fleet plans change with the wind.

Pay- If GoJets were to go away (and Republic stops flying for Delta as planned) we will be the least paid regional. Yes, we have soft pay, but that only does so much. You're not getting off LGA/JFK reserve here unless we fill every class for a few months. Reserve isn't cheap in NYC, that's why it's going to be the junior base for a long time.

Moral - There could be airlines with lower moral, but it's hard to imagine. Every time I think this place couldn't get worse it does, but lately it has been better. I think when this next big announcement comes out with some deal for the new hires, moral will go lower. Hopefully Delta has something else in mind that won't cause more strife. Crew vans, Crew rooms, classes, simland, company picnics, they are all toxic atmospheres and the minority of us do the best we can with it. Try talking about the guy's kids, that seems to move the conversation to more sunshine and rainbows.

Treatment - Delta picks about one thing to fix a month (as long as it isn't pay). Right now they are trying to reinvent how Cheif Pilots work here, so that our greivance filings go down. The hope is our old MEC, Tom, can replace our current crop of CP's with guys who are here to help the pilot fix their pay and work rule violations immediately. I'm not going to lie, this is a tall order and one that would need a ton of support from management. Another 22 months and this place won't have much left to fix (assuming they have 100% success rate).

We are treated better than 2 years ago, mostly because our current management group act like professional adults. Pay is still a point of contention, but they have made clear that they'll kill us dead before they pay us another dime. I don't know why, I don't care why anymore, they think we are worth very little and nothing to date has changed their minds.

SSP - Delta was taking a high percentage of our guys, then the floor dropped out for months now. There was a lot of pushback and I don't think management has heard the end of it from the pilots or the union but the numbers have recently come up with the same process even without the free interview help sessions (they had to move the dates and they stopped interviewing this month apparently for the SSP). If you took a survey here you'll find people think the SSP is a joke, except that may be turning around a little bit since our pass rate is back above 25% per class. The average is still below 50% and going down. Last I heard we hit a year high of 45% passing.

I may have more on this later, the crew room and even my cockpit has guys from class saying Barry finally admitted pilots weren't getting a fair shake but Delta is fixing it. No SSP for April apparently.

The Future - I don't have a crystal ball. This place is a gamble.

Pro's - Attrition, Delta management, no more Chpt11 or 13 for a few more years.

Con's - Wrong kind of Attrition, Pay, airline is shrinking, airline could be shut down, SSP is only for captains and you'll never upgrade unless Delta fixes our attrition. Did I mention NY base is junior?

I could go on for days about the con's. We are a risky bet going forward and I would never advise anyone to get hired on at a shrinking airline that can't put 10 guys in a class. Yes hiring is bad everywhere, but when we get 3 guys in a class and Eagle and ASA get 15 you have to understand that there is bad and then there is BAD. ASA/Skywest has a talented management team just like we do, EXCEPT ASA/Skywest are committed to their pilots. At Endeavor, our guys are from Delta and they can shut us down tomorrow and go back to Delta as hero's who shut down their 3rd airline in a row without a serious disruption.

I'm not telling you to go here. I would only recommend this place to someone I honestly hated. This place may make sense for you and that's fine. I'm not here to judge but if you have questions I'll answer them as honestly as I can. Once it goes to PM though, I'll be as bitter as I please and the above is me being polite.

I have it on good authority that Delta only shoots for a max 25% pass rate for the SSP. They also dig deeper than your personnel file. They asked a recent candidate about work he had done years before at XJ, but didn't list on his résumé. So apparently the phone calls go all around C tower to get the scoop.

When is the good news coming? Never.

Our future depends on the ability of the company to attract new hires. That's it. Without new hires the continues to park 200s and downgrade current CAs. I had dinner with a few guys last week that re-upgraded on 14-02 that are expecting to re-downgrade on 14-03. This will continue as we shrink DTW/MSP and grow NYC. There are a few XJ guys that are getting awarded 900 CA since they are below quota, but this will slow once the flows are gone. The company has said numerous times that Delta wants us to fly 100-125 200s, but has taken no action to help us staff those airplanes. The ball is in Delta's court to make this happen. During the union lunch this week the MEC vice-chair said that the MEC has advised the company that it would be in their best interest to take care of pilots on property first before extending benefits to new-hires (bonus, flow, ect.) but also admitted that there really isn't anything they would be able to do if that were to happen. They also claim that the company is working on an "industry changing" method to attract pilots but not sure what it is.

It was actually funny to see how much people talked about the "rumor" that was "supposed" to be out last week. It seemed that pilots were finally ready to hear some actual news from the company, whether it be good or bad. That is how bad this place needs something to happen. Whether it be good or bad, I think guys just want the answers that will help them to decide whether stay or go.

My opinion only, I don't think the company /Delta would have any issue giving new hires benefits. They have said numerous times that pay is not changing and would probably look upon such news as a benefit to us since there would finally be movement here. We shall see.

With regard to treatment I think the 1 thing fixed per month is more like 1 per 6 months. Other than that I agree with everything else posted.

Also with regard to attrition....a very very small percentage of the atrition are super junior folks, so from a prospective new hire perspective, attrition is attrition.

Pay- If GoJets were to go away (and Republic stops flying for Delta as planned) we will be the least paid regional.

Where did you hear RAH will stop flying for DL? Or were you referring to the Chautauqua 145s?

No sarcasm intended, I haven't listened to any conference calls for Endeavor or RAH. Our management was very quiet because of the TA vote until they announced it didn't pass and they were disappointed. But prior to all that the general impression we've been given is the DL has been very satisfied with our S5 170 flying. We basically have been giving them a can't-be-beat price on the 145s.

According to a recent IBT email, our contracted 145 flying for DL expires contractually as follows:

7 aircraft by 12/2014
10 aircraft by 6/2015
14 aircraft by 5/2016

But again, I haven't heard anything negative about the Shuttle America 170 flying.

And good luck, I have quite a few comrades over there from UND that I graduated with, not to mention all the Ohio j/s'ers going to work at DTW or MSP on our 145s.

Where did you hear RAH will stop flying for DL? Or were you referring to the Chautauqua 145s?

No sarcasm intended, I haven't listened to any conference calls for Endeavor or RAH. Our management was very quiet because of the TA vote until they announced it didn't pass and they were disappointed. But prior to all that the general impression we've been given is the DL has been very satisfied with our S5 170 flying. We basically have been giving them a can't-be-beat price on the 145s.

According to a recent IBT email, our contracted 145 flying for DL expires contractually as follows:

7 aircraft by 12/2014
10 aircraft by 6/2015
14 aircraft by 5/2016

But again, I haven't heard anything negative about the Shuttle America 170 flying.

And good luck, I have quite a few comrades over there from UND that I graduated with, not to mention all the Ohio j/s'ers going to work at DTW or MSP on our 145s.
I thought you guys were going all in with American, my bad.

Also with regard to attrition....a very very small percentage of the atrition are super junior folks, so from a prospective new hire perspective, attrition is attrition.
Well new hires may want to keep in mind that if attrition doubles because everyone gets pissed this place isn't going to have any rjs come December. It seems likely to me anyhow, my opinion.

Tell that to someone who has 6 years on property and has gone from having 1000 people junior to him to less than 250.

But it won't matter in less than 2 weeks.

If this place wanted to stop attrition, they could. There are numerous things they could do to improve QOL, especially with the closing of bases like they've done (how about some paid parking at home instead of just bases?)

Fact of the matter is it will be a NYC only airline with 1000 pilots. If you're around MSP and guys are looking forward to coming onto property for the MSP base then all you have to do is show them the ops update that says MSP is going away due to attrition.

Fact of the matter is it will be a NYC only airline with 1000 pilots. If you're around MSP and guys are looking forward to coming onto property for the MSP base then all you have to do is show them the ops update that says MSP is going away due to attrition.

There is a difference between being a "NYC only Airline" and having the junior base in NYC. There has been no mention whatsoever of shutting down the DTW or MSP bases. They're simply shrinking the 200 operations there and are expanding the 900 operation in NYC. It's good to have a decent factual thread about Endeavor, but let's keep it factual.

Which list were you looking at? Most of the attrition is from the bottom...capts were being downgraded to fill FO vacancies when I left....and my entire new hire class at my current airline was 9E FOs, and the class after, and 90% of the class after that...

Which list were you looking at? Most of the attrition is from the bottom...capts were being downgraded to fill FO vacancies when I left....and my entire new hire class at my current airline was 9E FOs, and the class after, and 90% of the class after that...

Where did you go, how long ago, what was your seniority, and original 9E, 9L, XJ? PM if you want...

Congrats on leaving btw!

7 aircraft by 12/2014
10 aircraft by 6/2015
14 aircraft by 5/2016

I tought the 170 flying contract ended next year but not 100% sure. The Lga -Bos shuttle is going to the 717 though so you guys will definitely be making a change somewhere/somehow.

I assume that the attrition at 9E is much like Eagle, but worse, in that you guys are losing lots of guys from the middle but not hiring enough to replace those that are lost. The end result for a new hire: stay at the edge of a shrinking pool.

I assume that the attrition at 9E is much like Eagle, but worse, in that you guys are losing lots of guys from the middle but not hiring enough to replace those that are lost. The end result for a new hire: stay at the edge of a shrinking pool.
This phenomenon is not, IMO, limited to the ALPA-represented carriers. It seems like most of the attrition where I work is mid-list (junior Captain, senior FO) too.

It makes sense. If your company provides you with a good job (CRJ Captain here is a good job) and treats you right, you have kids, etc., you have some control over your schedule, you are based where you live, and leaving mightn't make sense. That isn't to say I think it's a good decision to stay, but I at least understand it.

The big shots have said many times that they are working on getting us pay raises... Caveat being they want the raise for FO's to be movement to the left seat and raises for CA's to be a job at DAL, but they have done nothing to make this happen.

Also, I just wanted to make it clear to anyone new reading this that the SSP process is only offered to those who were on property when this deal was signed. So, if you're a new hire, you aren't eligible for the SSP interview even if you made it at endeavor until the end of this 7 year agreement and actually happened to upgrade for a year because everyone else bailed out.

I thought you guys were going all in with American, my bad.

We closed CLE, IND, and ORD (in June) on Chautauqua side to buy more time and free up some pilots. The United and CLE was a mix of DL and United, IND was all three, we still fly to all those places on Delta but are letting go of the other flying. Truth is, that I think AA and United made it clear that 170/175 flying takes priority so they wanted to shore that up. If we didn't have staffing problems the United 145 flying and AA 140 flying had less than a year left on it anyways.

Either way, with the resulting displacement and displacements to come quite a few guys are going to the 170, not just on YX but on S5 also...

@ClarkGriswold Thanks I did not know that. Makes senses though, I hear those flights are over-sold on the 170 quite a bit.

The big shots have said many times that they are working on getting us pay raises... Caveat being they want the raise for FO's to be movement to the left seat and raises for CA's to be a job at DAL, but they have done nothing to make this happen.

Also, I just wanted to make it clear to anyone new reading this that the SSP process is only offered to those who were on property when this deal was signed. So, if you're a new hire, you aren't eligible for the SSP interview even if you made it at endeavor until the end of this 7 year agreement and actually happened to upgrade for a year because everyone else bailed out.
You're right, I didn't do a good job talking about the SSP. If the SSP worked like it did in the beginning it would be a good thing for new hires because we'd have a good shot of going to Delta. Theoretically we could be done with SSP interviews in a year or less and there would would just be a trickle of guys eligible because they got the "no", not the "hell no".
Three possible answers:
Yes- you can go to a Delta class
No- maybe next year, you have one more chance
Hell no- get out, don't reapply

SSP is only for captains, some of our captains our ("lifers") won't apply and won't leave. It's a real possibility that we won't have anymore upgrades some time next year thanks to the no's (and hell no's) and a rapidly shrinking fleet.

If this announcement "fixes everything" new hires will be able to expect a lot of people underneath you, I just don't know how to fix the situation at the top unless pilots fix it themselves. That is completely possible. It's likely United/American doesn't think 60% of our pilots are worthless and would be happy to have them. Plus Fedex and UPS, Spirit/Jetblue will hire and that'll pull CA's and FO's although commonly it's been the FO's lately.

Unfortunately your future at Endeavor may be a senior FO at a stagnate and unhappy company. I think that's unlikely because they'll sell us or kill us off first. The only hope is captains (even lifers) get hired at other airlines (so that you can upgrade someday too) and the FO's don't leave so fast the airline collapses.

"They also claim that the company is working on an "industry changing" method to attract pilots but not sure what it is."

I bet Delta comes up with a program with the Riddle type schools where they promise an interview at Delta (think Comair Academy) and promise a right seat RJ job at 1000 hours if you go to said school. They will offer loans to get the kid through school and flight training. Zero time kid to guaranteed Delta interview (not job). The perfect carrot for Riddle type schools.

I bet Delta comes up with a program with the Riddle type schools where they promise an interview at Delta (think Comair Academy) and promise a right seat RJ job at 1000 hours if you go to said school. They will offer loans to get the kid through school and flight training. Zero time kid to guaranteed Delta interview (not job). The perfect carrot for Riddle type schools.

There are already deals such as that in place here. I dont think any are with Endeavor though.

And yes, it works. They get signed up while sophomores/juniors, have to do all ratings from Instrument upwards at the school, be a CFI (at any approved 141) till 1000 hours, pass the interviews, get hired at XJT (or who ever they signed with) and get a 'guaranteed interview' at Delta when they meet the minimums. That was the deal last time I checked, dunno if it has changed though and I don't think XJT is the only one with such a deal here either.

Back