Embry Riddle- well Im here

Grrreeeat.. here we go with the quotes from "cult favorite" movies again...
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

I need to rent some of this crap so that I can be "cool"
cool.gif

Anyway.....

wink.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
FBO's are good but like I posted on here in another thread what happens when a FBO goes bankrupt.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens when ANY flight school goes bankrupt (ACA "The Academy" at LAL, in FL is a prime example)... or closes for whatever reason ala ATA?

Bankruptcy is not relegated to FBO's. So, using the above logic, it's a crap-shoot any route you choose.

Again - choose the route that is best for Y.O.U. - you. You can't control things like bankruptcy... but, you can do your research and find out what kind of financial shape a school's in before you give them your $$ (or your parents $$, whatever the case may be).

R2F

also, on the bankruptcy/FBO thing - unless your loan company requires that the $ go straight to the FBO and stay on account, PAY PER FLIGHT.

While I have no worries about the financial status of my school, I keep my flight training money in a 2nd checking account dedicated strictly for flight training. My school has my ATM/debit card # and after each flight, the cost of that flight and/or instruction is simply charged and therefore deducted from my checking account. Works like a charm.

Now I don't have any loans, but again, if possible, avoid putting large amounts of money on account with your school. If you must put some on account, I would avoid getting a lump sum loan for several ratings and putting that ALL on account for lord knows how long until you use it all up. I'd put the funds for ONE RATING on account at a time, if possible. It makes me shiver to think of all the money paid up front to ATA, even right up till their doors closed, never to be seen again...

Sarah

Eric,

What's your goal?

If you want to fly left seat as a career pilot, get all your ratings as fast as you can. Put flying first. You need to be flying, and flying as much complexity as you can. I'd recommend a school that gets you through all your ratings at a fixed price and time, such as ATP, Inc., or something similar. Once you're rated, start flight instructing. Use your down time to obtain your 4-year degree.

[ QUOTE ]
What happens when ANY flight school goes bankrupt (ACA "The Academy" at LAL, in FL is a prime example)... or closes for whatever reason ala ATA?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another reason to do the pay as you go method. Yeah, it would suck if you had to go somewhere else to finish your ratings and so on. But while proving to another instructor that you can handle whatever your last one said you could is a pain in the ass, it's a hell of a lot better than losing thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She told me that alot of my existing credits would transfer, and I could be done thru Commercial MultiEngine in 5 semesters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I missed something that was addressed earlier in the thread, but if you're just going through Commercial ME, what do you plan on doing to build time? Most people instruct, but it doesn't sound like you'll be getting your CFI, CFI-I, or MEI. With the hiring mins today, you'll need a lot more time than what is included in any program to qualify for a job . . . How will you get those hours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I do plan to instruct at first, I will also look for the pipe line checking, banner towing crop dusting jobs even though I heard the latter 2 are the most dangerous. Lets see, in 5 semesters would cover Privates- Instrument- Commercial- CFI and ME. Of course CFI-i and MEi would be done on my own. Hmm. But as it looks now I probly will not be attending riddle just cause of the sheer cost and based on what people have said in this thread.

My ultimate goal is to be a commercial or corporate pilot, but also to keep my options open (hence the business degree). Even if I dont wind up flying at least I'll have the ability to when I please...

To address the pay as you go program- well, usually flight schools give discounts if you pay in blocks at a time. I'd pay for the minimum block required for you to get that time

Kinda off-topic, but I notice Prescott students almost universally have a higher opinion of Riddle than Daytona students. Would you Riddlers and ex-Riddlers say that it's a more efficiently-run campus, or just in a nicer area?

I've never checked out the ERAU Daytona flight program myself... I do know that it is run a bit differently (Private, Instrument, Commercial, Multi) instead of Private, Multi, Instrument, Commercial like the Prescott campus. I've always heard that Daytona was more of an "engineer's" school, while Prescott is more for the flyin' folk. Not real sure how true that is though.

As for location, umm, I take it you've never been to Prescott?
wink.gif
Daytona would be a more fun area to live, but the flying weather here in Prescott is phenomenal. So, it's a tradeoff.

[ QUOTE ]
As for location, umm, I take it you've never been to Prescott?
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure I have, quite a few times. I visited the Riddle campus up there in July 2002, and I decided to get a PPL and a biz degree down in Phx, and then transfer up there in a few years. I think the Prescott Valley/Sedona area is beautiful, and sure there aren't any NASCAR races there, but it isn't nearly the same kinda 'Dukes of Hazzard' town it was when I moved out here in the 80s. Atleast there's an Outback and a Starbucks there now.
grin.gif

And UPS is right about Magic & KJ. Magic had what - seven inches and 70-80 pounds on KJ? Just lookit them two, the size difference. Coulda posted up on him every time.
(That's Mark West behind KJ, the name might ring a bell for some).

[ QUOTE ]
(That's Mark West behind KJ, the name might ring a bell for some).

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the dumbest thing the Suns did was breaking up the 93 team that went to the finals right after that season. West, Ceballos, F. Johnson, KJ, Thunder Dan, Barkley, Ainge, Dumas, and Mustaf being led by Paul Westphal were a force to be reckoned with.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the dumbest thing the Suns did was breaking up the 93 team that went to the finals right after that season. West, Ceballos, F. Johnson, KJ, Thunder Dan, Barkley, Ainge, Dumas, and Mustaf being led by Paul Westphal were a force to be reckoned with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you're right. Tom Chambers was dumped after that season too. Colangelo can't really be blamed, though. I think Frankie Johnson retired right after those finals. Mustaf was charged with either aggravated assault or attempted murder, wasn't he? That hitting-his-cousin-over-the-head-with-a-telephone incident? And Dumas was in drug rehab within a few months after those finals, and Miller was in weight rehab soon after...
The Barkley/Danny Manning/KJ combo is never remembered because it only lasted 1/2 a season, but I thought that was the Suns' best year, up until Manning's knee blew out.
Yikes, we really ruined this thread, didn't we?
crazy.gif

So Eric, how's Riddle? You still down in Florida?

There's an Outback in PRC now?

I remember when we got a Subway sandwich and the city darned near threw a parade in honor of the arrival of the submarine sandwich in North-Central Arizona.

From what I hear Farmington, NM just got an Outback. It's the talk of the town over at San Juan Community College. At least they have a Del Taco, which Orlando does NOT.
frown.gif
Yet another good western food chain that has forsaken me....

If I remember right, it's in that large strip mall at the south end of Prescott, towards I-17.
There's a chance I'm confusing it with the one up in Flag. I remember being surprised by the Olive Garden and Outback near NAU when I auditioned up there in 2001, and I may have mixed them up. RiddlePilot, am I wrong?

Oh yeah... Outback on Highway 69. We're high-class now. Now if we could JUST get an In-N-Out and I'd be set for life.
grin.gif

Back