Embry Riddle- well Im here

WHEW!! Reading all the above makes me feel SO much better about going the FBO route.
laugh.gif

At least at my FBO, they haven't forgotten who the customer is and who's money allows their planes to keep flying.

.. and whaddyaknow??? I'll have the very same rating from the very same F.A.A. when I'm done too.
blush.gif

[/sarcasm][/gloating]

Bottom line: There is more than one road to Rome. Find the one that's best for you and your:

- Wallet
- Study habits
- Mental health
- etc.

Don't go for the "label" mentality. A name doesn't always guarantee quality, but it will almost certainly mean more money.

Best of luck!

R2F

[ QUOTE ]

Don't go for the "label" mentality. A name doesn't always guarantee quality, but it will almost certainly mean more money.

Best of luck!

R2F

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Contrary to what the recent grads of the school on this board like to think, no one does give a hoot about having the "Riddle" name. But all they've heard in their time in PRC or DAB from the management there is that having a Riddle degree puts you "one-up" on hiring consideration which is pure, unadulterated BS.

I got all three of my civilian flying jobs on HOURS and RATINGS alone, not one employer gave a damn that I went to Riddle, nor that I even had a degree from there.

The Riddle propaganda machine would LOVE you to think they're so highly sought-after in the industry, so you'll be more willing to drop your $$$ there. The school isn't a bad school education-wise, but is insanely out-of-control tuition-wise and FAR over-hyped flight training-wise. Riddle's inbreed flight instructors lack just the same amount of experience as CFIs from any other academy. Not a knock on them, just simply saying that Riddle's instructors are no better or worse that those from, for example, PanAm or a good FBO.

One more bit of clarification because I know the above sounded smarta**ed (and it was meant to be)...

I realize that I am going to have to bust my a** and network and network and network in order to land my first job outside of instructing.... but guess what? So will you ("you" being anyone, anywhere - at any flight school/FBO).

It's been said a thousand times over on this site = there are no shortcuts in this industry. None.

So, again - best of luck!

R2F

[ QUOTE ]
From personal experience, most of the people I see who are bitter towards the program do not realize the sort of dedication it takes to make it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So by all means, if you can hack it, I don't think you'll come out of it bitter. Just don't bash it because it's not a "sit on santa's lap and get your ratings" program.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the poster above is referring more to those that washed out of Riddle instead of students in other programs.

However, the statements above and quite a few on this thread take on quite an elitist tone when one reads them.

Methinks everyone on this board actively flight training or CFI'ing, or flying the grass-roots cargo jobs, or new-hire at a regional, realize full well the dedication it takes to make it up through the ranks anywhere you train. Same for those trying to do this with families to support, quitting jobs to CFI on a pittance of a salary, and coming out of college/flight school with five-figure + student loan debts.

Sarah
BA in graphic design from Avila College (where?
wink.gif
)
part 61 commercial student

[ QUOTE ]
BA in graphic design from Avila College (where?
wink.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

11901 Wornall Road
Kansas City, MO 64145

Kansas City's premier four year institution.

grin.gif

Sorry, Sarah. Just had to inject a little humor into this before we have a scene like the one in Boston the other day.

[ QUOTE ]
Just had to inject a little humor into this before we have a scene like the one in Boston the other day.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

naw, I know what it's like to have people criticizing your school or where you're training at, your first reaction is to go on the defensive and stick up for it.

[ QUOTE ]
I realize that I am going to have to bust my a** and network and network and network in order to land my first job outside of instructing.... but guess what? So will you ("you" being anyone, anywhere - at any flight school/FBO).

[/ QUOTE ]

ready2fly,

very good point. Here at UND, one good thing is you meet tons of people that could possibly help with finding a job in the distant future. Bad thing, they are in the same position as you so finding a job right after instruction through connections may be hard for some.

One plug for our school, if you want to work for Horizon, come here. They are coming here in less than a month to hire 6 UND grads with 750 hours TT and only 50 multi. Interviews are conducted here and the sim check is in our Frascas. All I can say about this, I wish had these qualifications right now because Horizon would be great to work for and it would mean getting the heck out of GFK!

Argh, in no way were my comments meant to be elitist in any way. Yes, I was referring to ERAU washouts not having the "dedication," NOT anyone else who is NOT in the ERAU flight program. I was also NOT saying that people who are not in the ERAU flight program are in "sit on santa's lap" programs (see previous post).

I'm sorry people read my comments as "elitist" or "egotistical" or whatever. I'm just proud of what I do and where I do it...if defending that makes me either of those two adjectives, so be it.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry people read my comments as "elitist" or "egotistical" or whatever. I'm just proud of what I do and where I do it....

[/ QUOTE ]

so long as you don't get blinded by it...........

OK I took the general campus tour as well as the aviation department tour today. Impressions, I like the campus. I like the atmosphere, the students, the people, and it looks like the academics are top notch. Saw the simulators, the aviation departjment etc. I am digesting what everybody is saying here. Well- almost everybody. Even the tour guide guy (student) said that he would go rent planes from the local airpark who rents the 1970's planes instead of the 2001 riddle planes cause its cheaper.

I also met with the advisor/counselor/admissions person. She told me that alot of my existing credits would transfer, and I could be done thru Commercial MultiEngine in 5 semesters. I'd still have to take some the gen ed like meteorology, physics 2 and of course all the airplane related courses.

But those of you guys who have graduated riddle and say it wasnt worth the cost etc are really making me think twice. How did you guys do academically? I've heard 2 sides of the fence when it comes to GPA. That 1) Companies dont care about the GPA, cause being a good student doesnt mean you're a good pilot and vice versa. But also 2) GPA is one of the most important considerations when it comes to hiring, promotions, etc.

So you guys are also saying that the companies dont care that if I went to riddle, you get all those classes on how the airplanes/engines work, aerodynamics, physics, the advanced simulators etc really have no bearing on getting a job then someone who just went to the local FBO and just flew planes without learning how the engines work, aerodynamics classes etc.

As much as I think it would be great to come down here and go to school next to the beach I already did that before.

A few things still- wouldnt going to a place like this have an upper hand in getting the "foot in the door" with internships etc? Then again, I suppose I have a better chance getting a foot in the door as a flight instructor from the local FBO back home if I got all my ratings up to CFI thru them.

So more and more I'm thinking- finish business degree from local public state school + flight instruction from local FBO = cheaper then 1 year at riddle.

Oh yeah- another thing I forgot to mention/think about is back when I was 19 (3 years ago) I was charged with alcohol possession. I went to court, plead guilty, and the judge put me on probation. Im no lawyer but I understand that probation is a finding of guilt. however, I clearly remember the judge saying that he put me on probation so it wouldnt hurt my chances of getting a job. Otherwise, aside from a couple of speeding tickets my record is clean. I've NEVER used drugs and I'm certainly no alcoholic. Now- I'm wondering what this would have on any airline career. Who should I check with to see how this charge affects my chances? Police dept? Courthouse? Lawyer?

Thats all for now, I'm sure i'll come up with something else.

[ QUOTE ]
Now- I'm wondering what this would have on any airline career.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were 19, Keep out trouble from now on and don't worry about it.....
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now- I'm wondering what this would have on any airline career.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were 19, Keep out trouble from now on and don't worry about it.....
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
There are many different takes on this. I suppose it all depends on the interview board.

It might be harder to get hired with this on your record because you are a liability to the airline. If something happened and it came out that the airline hired this pilot with an alchohol related offense in their backround it would certainly make for some bad PR.

Just keep out of trouble from now on.

I've got my bitterness towards Riddle's flight department and I went through that place when most of you were still probably graduating 6th grade.

Dang MikeD your friggin old.......
tongue.gif

Well I once comptemplated going to ERAU but my mom and dad said it wise to be a pilot but to get my degree in something other then avaition.

So I am going the FBO route and attending University of Cincinnati (Go Bearcats....incidently what kind of animal is a "bearcat"?). I'm deciding between Psychology (my moms a shrink) and maybe corporate law (my dads a lawyer). So we will see which one wins out in the end.

FBO's are good but like I posted on here in another thread what happens when a FBO goes bankrupt. My cousins best friend Matthew lives in TUS and his flight school very recently filed for bankruptcy.

Matthew said he had like 6-8k with em for his "instrument rating". Now the school is telling him good luck getting your money back. So like what is he to do? At least ERAU isn't goin belly up anytime soon.

So FBO or ERAU the choice is yours...

Everett

If you really want a college with a flight program, and I really hope you choose something else to major in, UND and Purdue are better organized than ERAU.

I think I made the right decision to get all my ratings on the side while persuing a major other than flight. When I graduate I'll be able to pursue a career in ATC (when they start hiring again) and I'll have my airport manager certificate (whatever license or something allows one to manage an airport). I have a few options still open.

[ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

naw, I know what it's like to have people criticizing your school or where you're training at, your first reaction is to go on the defensive and stick up for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I completely understand. I've got buddies who went to Purdue and MSU and I've heard a lot of crap over the past two weeks.

Don't you start with me, Neil.

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
She told me that alot of my existing credits would transfer, and I could be done thru Commercial MultiEngine in 5 semesters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I missed something that was addressed earlier in the thread, but if you're just going through Commercial ME, what do you plan on doing to build time? Most people instruct, but it doesn't sound like you'll be getting your CFI, CFI-I, or MEI. With the hiring mins today, you'll need a lot more time than what is included in any program to qualify for a job . . . How will you get those hours?

[ QUOTE ]
Hahahahhah! Old School - Best movie of all time

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hey, honey, do you think KFC is still open?"

grin.gif

Back