Embedded TSTMS

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone been in one? It's not fun. Penetrated a level 4/5 tonight that I couldn't see, and it was sporty.

I wonder what's next....yesterday the AAA fire, today the embedded.......

The fun never ends.

[ QUOTE ]
Penetrated a level 4/5 tonight that I couldn't see, and it was sporty.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just got my vote for understatement of the year.....
"sporty"
ooo.gif

Mike, you're going to smell like Chaff and Flare when you get back to AZ. A two-legged biohazard!
smile.gif

For the SAM/RPG, I only threw out 2 flares since I was too busy maneuvering.

The embedded snuck up on me. We were cruising VFR/IMC at block 18-20 and started picking up LGT-MDT rime. Then the St. Elmos fire began followed shortly by electrical interference on the FM radio. Within 30 seconds, as I was taking this in, the MDT turbulence started followed by huge lightning all around the aircraft and hail.....very interesting to see with a canopy. I deviated east but it only got worse, so I swung back north. Tops were now getting reported at 270, with the tanker holding above waiting for us. I had my hands full enough with the WX and trying to manage where, exactly, I was deviating my flight over (numerous restricted areas for active artillery fire that one wouldn't want to penetrate), not to mention having to worry about a second aircraft besides my own. I eventually took us back with the CBs chasing us back to homeplate. TSTMS hit here about 30 minutes after landing. Really a pain in the a$$ cruising through WX with no radar or stormscope.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone been in one? It's not fun

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I'll have to raise my hand on this one...twice... both at night.

First time was in a C172. My roommate was on his first instrument cross country and I was in the back. We were heading from DAB to APF for some good micklebobs ribs. Storms over most of central FL. We filed from Daytona to Lakeland then south to Naples, where it was clear and forecast to be clear all night. Of course Orlando approach gives us a nice vector that puts us in the middle of a nice embedded storm. Rain was hitting the bird so hard all you could hear was a constant tinging on the metal. With all vents closed, rain was streaming into the airplane. Asked for a 180 but ATC said to go straight ahead and we'd be out of it quicker.. FUN FUN FUN

The second time was in a Beech 1900 C going from ALB-ISP. Half way there and a storm flares up all around us. We had the radar on 3nm mode with the gain at its lowest level and used it to get the best ride possible.. The one thought that was going through my mind was... The airplane has 28,000 hours on it.. Please stay in one piece.

Interestingly enough, my worst turbulence encounter, which I like to refer to as severe PLUS, was about two hours after some Tstorms blew through the area and in the clear. If anyone was flying over GDM that night and heard someone say... "Colgan XXXX at 11000 severe turbulence NEED LOWER now..That was me!! It didn't smooth out until about 6000 that night.. Got to love it.. The airplane is bouncing around like a toy and the cockpit door flies open. We both look back and 5 people are screaming and holding on for dear life, while one guy has a smile on his face..

I'm not sure if I was in the storm, or just a little too close for comfort....but whatever it was, it wasn't fun.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe i missed something, but what was tha AAA fire?

[/ QUOTE ]

anti-aircraft artillery. Had a SAM or RPG fired at me the other night that was pretty damn close. Then next day, the WX encounter.

Just wondering what's in store for me now.......
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

anti-aircraft artillery. Had a SAM or RPG fired at me the other night that was pretty damn close. Then next day, the WX encounter.

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you will find Osama?
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you will find Osama?
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, go get that sob.....Miked---did you catch the game tonite? how about halfitme and janets boob popping out courtesy of j. timberlake...my roommate had teevo'ed the game so we watched it several time...sure you will hear all about it tomorrow.

[ QUOTE ]
Had a SAM or RPG fired at me the other night that was pretty damn close. Then next day, the WX encounter.

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's hope a safe trip home, buddy. Lord knows you've earned it.

[ QUOTE ]

yeah, go get that sob.....Miked---did you catch the game tonite? how about halfitme and janets boob popping out courtesy of j. timberlake...my roommate had teevo'ed the game so we watched it several time...sure you will hear all about it tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way...I decided the halftime show was gonna be crap, so I went off and tried to convince someone to make a bet with me, and I missed it?! Man...

Hey MikeD, catch Osama for us!

Back