Electronic Logbook recomendations

The Gardener

Terrafirma Phobic
I currently keep my logbook in an Excel spreadsheet that I wrote myself. The problem is it is just about impossible to print.

I would like to buy a commercial logbook that I can import my spreadsheet into and retain all of my current entries. I don't want to do that again (2000+ entries).

Lastly, I would like something that can also used on my PDA using Windows Mobil 5.0 so I can enter flights into my PDA and sync it to my laptop.

Any sugestions?

Well, for the PDA, I couldn't live without Airline Pilot Daily Logbook. You could also get the mobile version of Logbook Pro.

As for something that you can import your current spreadsheet into, I have no clue. I started using Logbook Pro 3 years ago, and immediately I was asking myself why I didn't do it from the beginning. Not sure if you can import an existing Excel file into LBP, though.

I recomend one of those big brown paper logbooks. You dond even need to print anything because its alredy on paper.:eek:

I recomend one of those big brown paper logbooks. You dond even need to print anything because its alredy on paper.:eek:

Sorry Les bo I only take advice from competent instructors who don't steal students! Bruhahaha! I have moved into the 21st century and prefer to use technology, unlike yourself. Take your 'super cool' binder and leave me alone :):laff::yup::nana2::rawk::):crazy:

Keep in mind some recruiting department do not accept electronic logbooks in lieu of a paper logbook; I guess it's easier to falsify electronic logbooks. I keep both, so that I can easily track both my military and civilian time, and generate reports have it do the math for me, but I still write everything down in my old paper logbook.

I finally switch completely to an electronic logbook, I use logbook ten, it's a Apple version and works really well, I can print it in any format: Jeppessen, ASA, etc, even 8710 if needed. You can even print it on green paper and have it bonded like a real logbook, can't believe some training departments won't accept them, which one? The FARs are rather simplistic on how you log your time, napkin and lipstick is still legal, the only advantage I can think of is that they won't be able to find any mistakes with my e-book vs. the old style.

Keep in mind some recruiting department do not accept electronic logbooks in lieu of a paper logbook.

I'd be interested in hearing which recruiting departments won't take print out of an electronic logbook? I know just about all the regionals will. I know Airways, CAL, DAL, SWA, The Tranny and UAL all will. AA hasn't been hiring probably SINCE there's been electronic logbooks, so who knows. I know a guy who got on at Alaska with a LBP print out. Also, two of the race teams in CLT took people I've flown with with electronic only logbooks.

Just wondering.

I am about 2000 entries deep into an electronic logbook. Sorry, I am NOT going to hand write all that out!

By signing the bottom of the logbook page you are verifying that the times are correct. If you get caught pencil flying you are toast with the FAA!

I liked that logbook 10, one of my students just got it but I don't run a mac so it looks like logbook pro.

Also, Logbook pro claims that then will import your old logbook (from excel hopefully) into LBP for you. that would be cool. I'll will advise.

Also, Logbook pro claims that then will import your old logbook (from excel hopefully) into LBP for you.
It should. Spreadsheets and databases tend to be able to import-export between each other. Even if Logbook pro uses a proprietary system (as I recall, I think it uses an MS-Access database), so long as it has some data import function, chances approach certainty that it will, at least, be something that Excel can export to.

The problem is more likely to be that the fields in Logbook Pro will be different in some respect than your spreadsheet and that, as I think someone else suggested, some tweaking will be needed to ready your Excel file for import into LBP. Depending on your level of experience with Excel, that can be fairly easy or very difficult.

Good luck.

LBP makes a big deal out of their ability to convert pretty much anything to their standard. I moved a few hundred hours from excel to LBP, but it took some Q&A on the "help forum" to get it done. Probably because I'm not too bright. LBP is sort of expensive, and one doesn't need to look too hard to realize that they intend to squeeze every sheckl out of you they can, but it's worth it for me because A) As mentioned above, I'm sort of an idiot and B) I'm also lazy. LBP is very much a "one-click" solution, and if you can't figure out what click you want, their customer service is immediate and helpful (in my experience). I've rarely made a better investment in time-saving technology. Just the other day I had to fill out insurance paperwork which, as God is my witness, wanted to know how much night, cross country, IMC, PIC in retract pistons airplanes I have in the last 12 (and 6, and 3) months. Click, click, answer. Nice.

Yeah, I remember when I upgraded everyone frantically searching through logbooks with calculators to fill out 8710s. I laughed as I clicked, printed and sat back to watch the madness unfold around me. I also got about 3 of those referral bonuses that day alone....

American Eagle had no problem with my LBP print out. I did splurge and order the paper and the leather book from the LBP website. It looked uber nice.

As to the logbook question....

I keep the "little red logbook", transfer that to the "big" paper logbook, AND electronically on Logbook pro. Tomorrow I get my new Iphone so I am debating on going over to something different since they logbook pro is being stupid and not going after the ever growing mac market. Logten has potential. If you are a windows user Lobook pro with APDL (airline pilot daily logbook) is the way to go.

You can definitely import your excel logbook into logbook pro. It's pretty painless. All you need to do is File..Save As in Excel and save as a Comma Separated Value (CSV) file. Then go to logbook pro, import, (forgot which menu, I reformatted my computer and lost the program) and you open up the CSV file. You will probably need to check the "first row is header" or something like that, to tell logbook pro that your first row in Excel just names the columns, and isn't data.

Then logbook pro will ask you what each column is. Ie "Pilot in command" time in the excel logbook, you would select from the dropdown menu in logbook pro "PIC" (or whatever it is titled). This tells logbook pro that everything in that column is "PIC".

Do that for each column and it imports instantly. You can download a trial version of logbook pro and test it out. That way you can determine for youself if you want to buy it.

In addition, if you want to stay cheap, you can always enter data on your Palm pilot in excel format, sync to your computer, convert to CSV, then import into logbook pro.

Logbook Pro uses MS Access at its core.

You can definitely import your excel logbook into logbook pro. It's pretty painless. All you need to do is File..Save As in Excel and save as a Comma Separated Value (CSV) file. Then go to logbook pro, import, (forgot which menu, I reformatted my computer and lost the program) and you open up the CSV file. You will probably need to check the "first row is header" or something like that, to tell logbook pro that your first row in Excel just names the columns, and isn't data.

Then logbook pro will ask you what each column is. Ie "Pilot in command" time in the excel logbook, you would select from the dropdown menu in logbook pro "PIC" (or whatever it is titled). This tells logbook pro that everything in that column is "PIC".

Do that for each column and it imports instantly. You can download a trial version of logbook pro and test it out. That way you can determine for youself if you want to buy it.

In addition, if you want to stay cheap, you can always enter data on your Palm pilot in excel format, sync to your computer, convert to CSV, then import into logbook pro.

Logbook Pro uses MS Access at its core.

Thanks, that is a ton of help. I think I am going to try and get the LBP people to do that for me though, if not, I will attempt surgery myself.

I'd be interested in hearing which recruiting departments won't take print out of an electronic logbook? I know just about all the regionals will. I know Airways, CAL, DAL, SWA, The Tranny and UAL all will. AA hasn't been hiring probably SINCE there's been electronic logbooks, so who knows. I know a guy who got on at Alaska with a LBP print out. Also, two of the race teams in CLT took people I've flown with with electronic only logbooks.

Just wondering.

I knew I read it somewhere recently, and then I found it in my email box. I don't know how Mesa got my contact info, because I've never inquired for a position there, but I received an email from them on 7/12 about a job fair, part of which said......

=======================================================

Please bring the following items with you:

• Current Resume
  • All Log Books (you must bring all endorsements & original log books. No computerized log books.) All checkrides MUST be flagged. Please include a separate sheet of paper with total flight times for the previous 30, 60, and 90 days.
  • Original Driving Records from the states in which you've lived, or been licensed, for at least the previous five years.

Please bring a copy and the original of the following items:
  • Driver’s License
  • Driving Records
  • Pilot License(s)
  • First Class Medical Certificate
  • Current Passport
  • FCC License (FCC 605-FRC)
Permanent Resident Alien Registration Card (if applicable)

=============================================================

Also, I had a buddy from the reserves apply at Expressjet. All he brought to the interview was his printout of his military records. According to him, they showed him the door right away for not having a "real" logbook. Maybe jtrain or someone can shed light on whether or not that's really Xjet's policy to not accept electronic records in lieu of a logbook.

Personally, I just can't see getting rid of the paper logbook, although I spent a couple of weeks inputting all my flights into Flightlevel 2003 (which is OK, does the job, but I think I'd probably been happier with the Jepp product). This is to make the math easier and have one place where I can combine my military and civilian time and have a meaningful "total" time somewhere.

Back