Ear Issues

gmck

Since beginning my flight training almost a year ago my left ear has been a constant issue. It began with muffled hearing and was originally diagnosed as allergy related. After Allegra and Flonase did not help a visit to an ENT ensued. The ENT detected no major pressure or fluid in the ears and looked at the eustachian tubes and concluded that they're normal. I performed a valsalva maneuver and he verified that the ear drums were moving and thus air was being pushed into the middle ear.

The symptoms I experience include: muffled hearing, ears popping loudly/pressurizing randomly throughout the day regardless of whether i'm experiencing altitude changes, occasional pain in the eustachian tube regions although its better described as a constant irritation, a feeling that fluid is in the eustachian tube, and a squeaking sound when I flex the muscles used for yawning.

The valsalva maneuver does provide temporary relief on occasion but i also feel and hear a fluid moving up what I assume is the eustachian tube. I've attempted periodic yawning, valsalva, and swallowing during flight to no avail. The odd thing is I rarely feel the need for my ears to pop, but instead a post-flight irritation that appears to be chronic at this point, only intensified by flying. I fly helicopters so the altitude changes aren't that drastic normally, with most flights not exceeding 2000' AGL.

I did have some ear infections as a kid but its never been a real issue until now. Flying never seemed to bother me until I began doing it regularly and now as a private rotorcraft pilot working on my instrument rating, the thought of quitting is a truly depressing one. It's been a source of constant irritation which is an issue as flying is my passion and hopefully my future career.

My question is, is it more likely that the body will adjust to the altitude changes over time, or will the problem continue and worsen? Also, could weight loss be a potential cause of eustachian tube dysfunction? I lost approximately 60 lbs over the course of 4-5 months.

Thanks and I apologize for the lengthy post.

1) It should not change over time.
2) Weight loss will not cause this
3) I would see an ENT who is familiar with aviation issues. It is obviously eustachian tube related.

Back