Eagle Interview TOO.

Jamesrw2002

I realize there was an Eagle interview post. Not sure if it's proper form to put up a new post. Feel free to move it.

I put my application in on Friday Night, June 10th.
I recieved the 2 day review email on Monday June 13th.
Wednesday June 15th I got an email to call to set up an interview, I called promply.

You speak to Laurie Cluck to set up the interview. She gave me the option between the 27th, 28th and 29th (they interview every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) I choose the 27th. She'll ask you if you want to fly in or drive in. If you choose to fly, she'll take your information and tell you you'll recieve your travel email about a week out. She'll then send you an email with several packets for you to fill out for the interview. Take your time on these. Make sure you follow the directions to a T and you'll be fine.

So after about spending about a week on the paperwork and squaring everything away for the interview sunday came quick (they fly you out the day/morning before). If you're traveling by Space A, make sure you dress nice.

I had family in Dallas so I stayed with them, but they do provide a hotel at the Airline rate ($59 bucks I think.)

I arrived Monday morning around 7:30 and met with two other applicants in the lobby. The security person in the lobby informed us they werent ready for us so we stayed there and talked for a bit. About 15 minutes in, the people that stayed in the hotel showed up. There were 14 of us total. I got the impression they dont usually interview that many people at a time. But I could be wrong.

So once you check in with Security we went to another lobby and all sat down and waited for Eagle HR to come and get us. We all signed in and were escourted to the "holding tank." Its basically a small classroom. They collected our logbooks and pre interview packet and told us to have a seat. They put on a short video about American Eagle and then a member of HR gave us a brief over Eagle, and their hiring situation. Apparently there are 500 captains holding American Airlines seniority numbers currently. Those guys are flowing thru to the mainline. In addition there are 800 slots for "preferential hiring" for American Eagle personel to the mainline. Those slots are seniority based but if someone chooses not to take it it goes to the next number. Everyone I spoke to seemed to think the senior captains wouldnt jump on it which is understandable. That 800 will probably not reach any of the new hires of course, but it will yield movement in the company. 1100 people potentially moving on to the mainline in the next year or two. They plan on hiring 675 this year and they are right around halfway there. Hiring is expected to continue into next year.

Shortly after this brief the first person was asked to gather their things and come with them. I only assume that person went home. It would seem it was a logbook issue. Make sure your logbook is squared away and you have all checkrides and stage checks tabed/flagged. I even flagged my checkride endorsements.

You will sit in this room for a good while. They pull people out one by one for the various portions of the interview all interviews are one on one (tech, HR and sim.)

The first portion I went thru was HR. This was more or less paperwork, EVERYTHING is extremely laid back, they want you to feel comfortable. They have all been sitting in the seats we were sitting in and it wasnt long ago either for them. Everyone I interviewed with were First Officers including the manager of pilot recruitment. I wont go too much in to what was asked as it was pretty much verbatum from the gouge.

I went back in to the holding tank and was in there for about an hour or two. My next portion was Tech. Very basic aircraft related questions. Study your jepps and the gouge. I want to empasize this... Study the Jepps. There is an excellent legend online at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14560110/Jeppesen-glossary-legends.pdf get to know it. If you get something wrong, dont sweat it... they arent looking for someone that knows everything, they're looking for someone they can get along with and train. Having said that, I will add now that they give you NO feedback on ANYTHING. The sim instructer even told us in the morning, dont ask them how you did after the various stages, they wont tell you. Just be confident.

I did the Sim next. The sim profiles on the gouges are all spot on. I found the sim to be pretty easy to fly... all I can say is with any sim- do not over control it. Finger tip fly it and you're set. Also, utilize the NFP they want to see that you have a grasp on CRM. A few people got non-standard holds but all in all, the hold was pretty straight forward. I think nearly everyone had a teardrop entry. Not sure if that's normal or not.

About 5 minutes after I got back to the tank after the sim they came and told me to collect my things and follow them. My heart sank a bit, I'll be honest. I was taken to an office and was given my Pre-Offer. Pretty great day. This was at about 3pm.

Out of 14 of us there were 6 or 7 that got the job. One person was sent home due to a checkride failure he had 25 years ago and didnt report. He was told to fix it and come back in 48 hours. They want people bad, but they also will not settle for someone who doesnt put forth the effort required to prepare themselves for the interview.

I asked as I was doing my fingerprints what generally holds people up in going to board and I was told it was background info from previous employers. (I should note as I was signing my preoffer my background info was being faxed to my previous employers.)
He said the rest of the info takes 2-5 days to get back sans the FAA airman's file- that takes 30 days but will not hold you up for your class date. He did tell me that if there is something on there that was not disclosed (Checkride failure, incident, accident, etc) they will pull you from your class and fire you. It's happened he said, and recently too.

All in all, it was a great experience. The people at American Eagle are all very professional and I look forward to being a part of their team.

My times were 1200/400

If anyone is going up for the interview and has any question please feel free to ask me, I will be happy to assist anyone.

Thanks,
James

yep, that gouge is spot on. I was in James's interview class and also got the pre-offer. have your paperwork in order and know your jepp plates. most importantly relax. everybody there wanted to see you make it through and it showed. was a great experience!

well when they invite you to the interview they send you a "pre interview packet". its not hard, its just a lot of stuff. They ask for copies of high school diploma, college transcripts, driving records from each state you've lived in, pilots licenses, instructor licenses, complete typed 10 year employment history with exact dates, names, addresses, phone and fax numbers, copies of your medical, etc. then they have you fill out a background packet for each pilot and non pilot job you've had for the past two years. it takes time to do, but its not exactly hard. They send you a "checklist" of documents they want you to bring to the interview, along with copies of EVERYTHING.

They have you fill out your flight times... PIC, MULTI, TURBINE, 121, ETC. and flag your logbooks for each checkride, and if its failed be sure to flag the failure and the pass.

I've been hearing horror stories about the amount of paperwork. What exactly does it cover?

Pretty much what Aviator1988 said.. The majority of it is pretty much a do over from airlineapps. Which I believe is a good thing... airlineapps is so shotty, when I saw my application printed out there were things that didnt show up that I KNOW I entered. Then there's the whole flight time head ache with airlineapps. Consider airlineapps to be a pre application.

The rest is mostly PRIA stuff that any airline would have to do.

I didnt find it to be a headache as there are specific instructions for all of it attached to the packets. Just follow them.

Thanks. I just submitted my airlineapp today and a good friend is meeting with the DOT and VP Ops next week so hopefully Ill get an interview.

it may help if you keep an electronic logbook. i use flightlogg.in. It really helped me with the flight time grids.

hey congrats, i went ahead and put my application for eagle also on friday. lets see if we get an answer :)

hey congrats, i went ahead and put my application for eagle also on friday. lets see if we get an answer :)

If I were a betting man, I'd say you may hear something Tuesday assuming your times are right.

... now... go support a real b-ball team.. GO MAVS! :p

Back