Eagle ALPA Corruption

SrFnFly227

I saw this posted on another forum and thought it was interesting enough to post over here. It is stories like this that keep me from ever wanting to be part of a union again. I really hope these guys get recalled and have to reimburse the association for the fraudulent charges. Then ALPA should do some serious auditing of other operations.

A visit to the financial offices at ALPA HQ in Herndon, VA.

My Fellow Insignificant* New York Pilots --

(* A term used by ORD CA Rep Fxxxk Kxxxxxa to describe those NYC pilots who seek accountability and truthiness from elected Union Officers.)

Two weeks ago, I sent you an email from DFW FO Rep Kxxy Pxxl outlining his visit to the ALPA National Finance Offices in Herndon, VA. Below is an email from LGA's very own FO RXy IXXu. He and several others saw Kxxxy Pxxl's letter and were disheartened by its contents AND the continuing attacks on Kxxxly Pxxl's character so much so that they embarked on a visit to ALPA's Finance Office to see if Kxxxy Pxxl stumbled upon an anomaly or evidence of a pattern of abuse. I now present FO Ixxx's letter unedited and without further comment.

As always, you can contact Phil or myself via email at the addresses below.

Regards,
-Sam-

Fellow NY Pilots,

Like many of you I have become concerned with the ongoing issues related to our union finances and expense reports. On March 5th, 2013 I, along with two other Eagle pilots from other bases, went to ALPA National Headquarters to review the American Eagle financial expense records. We were greeted by ALPA staff and shown to a conference room which had been set aside for our use for the entire day. ALPA assigned a staff person to assist in our review and to navigate the computerized records systems. None of us were on any type of union leave; we did this on our own scheduled days off.

We were presented with expense records printed on several hundred 11x18 sheets of paper. They were printed by category, and by submitting person. We began with the bundle on top which was group meals. We reviewed a few hundred line entries. We requested computer records for more information on roughly 25 of the expense records. 17 of those records were of enough interest to warrant further investigation. In all cases of a reviewed record, either the dollar value was very high, the ratio of attendees was very low, the location, or time of day drew attention to the record. It was a very slow process to find the actual expense record to match the spreadsheet entry, recall the computer record, then review each entry on the record. Once complete we then would review the attached receipts. We made it through roughly 6 pages out of several hundred printed record sheets. We took notes copying as much data on those identified expense reports as time permitted. The group meals receipts were generic credit card receipts showing nothing more than the total bill. The group meals reports did include who the submitting person claimed attended each meal. Without a detailed receipt it was impossible to determine what had been purchased, or if the claimed number of people actually attended. We therefore copied receipt numbers and phone numbers for each establishment in the event authorized persons, or government agencies, wish to obtain the itemized receipt.

We then asked for and were provided with a spreadsheet printout of just items under the category snacks. This was provided to us within the hour on 8x11 spreadsheet paper. The report was approximately 10 pages in length. We then took notes and reviewed a few of the more notable expense reports. High dollar value, same date as group meals, and multiple similar entries stood out first. We took notes on these for later review. The snacks expense report contained little more than a generic credit card receipt.

We were informed that the impending snow storm had resulted in the airlines beginning to cancel many flights for the next day, and that evening flights from IAD were filling up. Rather than risk being trapped in DC, we opted to depart with what we had gathered thus far.

Today, 03-06-13, I began the review and formalization of a report of our activities. I also conducted a more in depth review a on a few of the more significant expense records. In reviewing the record of Txxy Gxxxxxxz on 07-21-12, for snacks in the amount of $1304 from an establishment listed as Azul. I conducted a google search and learned that Azul is a higher end Argentinian Bistro in Manhattan. No additional details were obtained.

I continued onto the next questionable expense which was on 08-03-12 for snacks. This was three receipts on the same day, all submitted by one person, from an establishment listed as Barmy. The three separate receipts on the same day were in the dollar amounts of $67.30, $71.47 and $38.58 for a total of $177.35. When I conducted a google search of the name Barmy in Washington DC the returns were for "Barmy Wine & Liquors" located at 1912 L Street NW, Washington, DC. Phone: (202) 833-8730. Its listed Category is retail wines and liquors. A visit to their website - Barmy Wines: You own Wine Store in Washington DC - provided numerous photo's of the establishment. There does not appear to be any food service at this establishment.

It should be noted, for purposes of this review, that the date of the Barmy snacks purchases is coincident with the same date as the $2085 in expenses discovered by DFW FO Representative KXXXy PXXl. These purchases appear to be in violation of union policy. These expenses seem to be conversion of union funds for unauthorized purchases. The expense record avoided any mention of alcohol, to the point of omitting the full name of the establishment. This may indicate an awareness that the expense was not legitimate, and the true nature was concealed so as to obtain reimbursement from union coffers.

A few observations became obvious to all of us during our review process. We are the only MEC in all of ALPA where the chairman and vice-chairman have permanent proxy authority to approve expense reports. We also observed that the pattern of providing only credit card receipts instead of itemized receipts is counter to any interest in preserving accountability or transparency.

There are several other expense reports we copied in our notes needing further review, including more from Chairman Gxxxxz among others. There were several hundred pages of reports, and in the time allotted we made it through roughly 6 pages. The research is continuing, additional findings will be included in a future report.

Fraternally,

Rxxxxxd Ixxu
LEC121 SPC Chairman

What ever happened to the former Chief Pilot turned union rep first name starts with a V.?

Thanks for the new info about the source... I had been wondering as their petition only has about 300 signatures, thought it was a little low but didn't realize how nasty the infighting had gotten.

When Ray isn't eating cheeseburgers, he is very busy slinging mud.

With that said, the union will not set the story straight or show any accountability. They have their pawns out there calling line pilots out for mistakes made in the past in an attempt to distract everyone from the fishy business going on. The union could have put this to rest a long time ago, but they still haven't.....

Two sides to every story, but the union drops the ball on a daily basis and looks very suspect.

Like are you looking for a burning bush? Tablets brought down from the mountaintop? :)

I don't have a dog in this hunt and don't care either way.

Hi, Ray and welcome to @Derg's living room make sure you play nice. Why don't we ask ATN_Pilot and Seggy what they think. Both know more about the workings of ALPA then both me and you.

Edit: If you are here to be a member of this site, great and welcome to JC. If you are here to only talk about Eagle then I don't think you are going to like this site a whole lot.

So apparently ALPA parties elsewhere besides FL. Understand some things happen outside normal meetings but it just continues to show bad choices by some, and coverup by others.

Hi, Ray and welcome to @Derg's living room make sure you play nice. Why don't we ask ATN_Pilot and Seggy what they think. Both know more about the workings of ALPA then both me and you.

I'm happy to answer policy questions and discuss MEC best practices. But I won't get in the middle of yet another immature MEC food fight, so don't anybody try to get me involved in that.

And for the record, the email in the OP is incorrect in stating that the EGL MEC is the only one that allows the Chair and Vice Chair to have standing authority to approve expense reports. The ATN MEC has always allowed this, and I believe others do as well.

Prove any of it not factual.

Receipts don't lie.

Unfortunately it seems that you do.

And for the record, the email in the OP is incorrect in stating that the EGL MEC is the only one that allows the Chair and Vice Chair to have standing authority to approve expense reports. The ATN MEC has always allowed this, and I believe others do as well.

Well that took all of 31 minutes for someone to prove something was not factual.

I also like that LEC121 has its own SPC chairman.

The ALPA Constitution and by-laws
SECTION 5 - LOCAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL COMMITTEES

The Local Executive Council shall establish such Committees and appoint Committee Chairmen as may be necessary for proper conduct of Local Council business consistent with Association and Local Council policy.

So who are you, or Tony, to tell NY what LEC committees they can have?

You sure are full of opinion, but no facts.

I'm happy to answer policy questions and discuss MEC best practices. But I won't get in the middle of yet another immature MEC food fight, so don't anybody try to get me involved in that.

Have you checked this since they switched from Concur to Infour ? We were specifically told that no other MEC has permanent proxies in place.

Edit: If you are here to be a member of this site, great and welcome to JC. If you are here to only talk about Eagle then I don't think you are going to like this site a whole lot.

Should I out you now too?

Basically what it comes down to is a 3-way title fight:

1. An ex-cop and his base reps looking for trouble (who also "stole" money but scream they didn't)
2. A group of pilots from a base that lost the student council election in the 8th grade and want to become chairman
3. A group of pilots that didn't party hard enough in high school/college

The fight is being judged by the rest of the pilots who probably had somewhat of a life when they were younger (and/or have a life now) and think the arguing and mud slinging is like watching "The Plastics" from Mean Girls.

Back