Dual time for the Commercial

tlewis95

I drive planes
The 20 hours of Dual that I need for the commercial airplane license need to be in the areas of operation 61.127(1) which is -

Demonstrate flight proficiency (FAR 61.127). You must receive and log training, and obtain a logbook sign-off (endorsement) from your CFI on the following areas of operation:
  1. Preflight preparation
  2. Preflight procedures
  3. Airport and seaplane base operations
  4. Takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds
  5. Performance maneuvers
  6. Ground reference maneuvers
  7. Navigation
  8. Slow flight and stalls
  9. Emergency operations
  10. High-altitude operations
  11. Postflight procedures

I did a lot of that flying during my Private training, doing pretty much all of that but the high-altitude operations. So can I use the training that I received on most of those areas towards the commercial? I would assume so. Obviously I am going to be taking a lot of dual learning the Arrow and the maneuvers, but not 20 hours.

Same thing for the solo requirements I guess. I obviously have more than 10 hours of solo time, and will pick up more on this solo xc and some of the night time I have to do.

While we are at it, instrument too, I have 55 hours of instrument, I am guessing and hoping that I don't need to do 10 more commercial specific hours here.

I'd be interested in the answer to this too:

I have 210 hours, 64 total PIC (19 PIC X-C) 11.3 Complex ME (1.4 PIC Complex ME) 4.9 Inst (0.3 Inst ME)

I plan to do the Comm ME initial (no chandelles for me)
To make it up to 250, I can do 25-30hr PIC/X-C in a C-172 and then 5-10hr PIC/X-C Multi as per the day/night and long X-C requirements.

I have to make up some instrument time, and also night multi time, but can the complex time be counted from previous work (PPL VFR Multi and Comm VFR Multi are v.similar and may even be done within 60 days of each other) if I earn the $$s fast enough :beer:

Alex.

It is a subject of debate. While one camp argues that you need 20 hours in addition to the Private training, that same group will say you CAN count the instrument training towards the commercial.

In a series of answers, the orphaned Part 61 FAQ said that the training for the commercial needs to be post-private pilot training, "An applicant cannot use pre-private pilot training to also be used to meet the commercial training requirement."

I concept was that training in "Takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds" as a student pilot training for the private certificate is in some way different than training in "Takeoffs, landings, and go-arounds" for the commercial.

Now, the FAQ has been abandoned with instructions not to rely on it in any way. OTOH, so far it appears that when questions have come up since, the answer has usually gone the same way as the FAQ.

I will check with the FSDO/DPE. Given my multi/and PIC/X-C time is post PPL, I would hope that it could be considered as counting. I take the point about student cert and 1st pilot cert though.

Alex.

So can I use the training that I received on most of those areas towards the commercial? I would assume so.

Given that you are not even eligible for the Commercial without a Private certificate, why would these things be listed as required training if the intent were not to have it as part of your Commercial training?

I will check with the FSDO/DPE. Given my multi/and PIC/X-C time is post PPL, I would hope that it could be considered as counting. I take the point about student cert and 1st pilot cert though.

Alex.
You're post-PPL training counts, so long as it's logged correctly (as in naming the tasks covered). After all, you don't sign a piece of paper (except perhaps in the 141 context) that says "now I'm going for the commercial, so after this everything counts toward it." The dividing line is the receipt of your private certificate.

That makes sense. So I guess all of the solo time that I have in airplanes (well wait... gliders too? lol) after getting my Private would count as well then.

That brings up another question with the Instrument. I have had probably 30 hours of dual now for that (after my PPL)... does that count towards the commercial? Only if the CFII wrote in "takeoff" and "landing" instead of just the approaches we did though maybe?

You only need the extra instrument time for the commercial if you in fact do not have your instrument rating.

Back