Downturns of the past

This is not your everyday downturn. This downturn won't be quick, it won't be easy, and it surely won't be pretty. This is just the beginning. This financial crisis might turn out to be worse than the Great Depression itself.
:yeahthat:
The presidents speech today mirrored this statement exactly. "This is not your run-of-the-mill down turn. This is the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression".

Take a look at this article from NYtimes explaining how the last decade was the worst ever for the S.& P.

Off the Charts
A 10-Year Stretch That’s Worse Than It Looks

By FLOYD NORRIS
Published: February 6, 2009
IN the last 82 years — the history of the Standard & Poor’s 500 — the stock market has been through one Great Depression and numerous recessions. It has experienced bubbles and busts, bull markets and bear markets.

Multimedia

Graphic The Current Market Is the Worst Yet

But it has never seen a 10-year stretch as bad as the one that ended last month.
Over the 10 years through January, an investor holding the stocks in the S.& P.’s 500-stock index, and reinvesting the dividends, would have lost about 5.1 percent a year after adjusting for inflation, as is shown in the accompanying chart.
Until now, the worst 10-year period, by that measure, was the period that ended September 1974, with a compound annual decline of 4.3 percent.
That decline was strongly influenced by inflation. Ignoring inflation, stocks over that decade returned half a percent a year, not a very good showing but not a loss. But with inflation taking off, the real, inflation-adjusted return was negative.
For the current period, the total return was negative, at minus 2.6 percent a year, even before factoring in inflation.
Perhaps surprisingly, the 10 years after the 1929 crash were not that bad by this measure — which may say as much about the measure as it does about the performance of the stock market. The deflation of the 1930s helped the after-inflation of the stock market to look better.
For the 10 years after the crash, through Sept. 30, 1939, the compound annual decline of the stock market, with dividends reinvested, was 5 percent a year before considering inflation. That remains the worst 10-year period. But after factoring in deflation, the loss was 2.8 percent a year, which is still bad but not horrid.
Compounding interest rates over a 10-year period can magnify differences that look small. For example, over the 10 years through January, the total losses in nominal dollars from the S.& P. 500, with dividends reinvested, was 23.5 percent. But with inflation added in, the decline was 40.4 percent.
The numbers in the chart assume that the Consumer Price Index was unchanged in January from December. But the accuracy of that assumption does not matter. Even if consumer prices rose or fell sharply during the month, the decade would still have been the worst one.
The decade was not a smooth one. It started with the market nearing the peak it would reach in early 2000, as the technology stock bubble expanded. Prices tumbled through late 2002, then doubled from those depressed levels by late 2007. Since then, a rapid decline has brought them back close to the lows of 2002 before considering dividends and inflation.
Taking inflation and dividends into account, an investor who put money into the market any time after the end of 1996, and held on, now has less value than when he or she started.
Many things influence stock prices, of course, and there is no guarantee that continued economic and financial woes will not drive the market down from here. But long-term investors may be able to take comfort from the fact that bad decades are often followed by 10-year periods that are better than the long-term average, which shows a gain of 6.2 percent a year.
Floyd Norris’s blog on finance and economics is at nytimes.com/norris.

Thanks for the back-pats.

Now, for the sunshine and unicorns crowd, a little something else:

joblosses26091.gif

To be fair, expressed as a percentage rather than absolute job loss numbers, it looks slightly less dire, but we are most assuredly in uncharted waters and the Captain is still dragging the boat-sized anchor of bad banksta debt around with us and screaming for everyone to bail faster. If we don't abandon this ludicrous bailout and let the bad debts default, we don't make it out of this summer standing up. Hope I'm wrong, pretty sure I'm not.

You really think that the result of letting these bank debts default will result in less economic damage to our economy than attempting to bail them out?

I'm not really convinced of that idea, and I think that if we let them just default we'll end up with the United States being bankrupt by the end of the summer.

Well, IMHO, we're totally screwed either way in the short term. The miasma of lies, "leveraged" (imaginary) assets, and irrational exuberance can't be dispelled by anything less than a great deal of suffering. In very broad terms, I'd say we're confronted with the old "cut off the leg or keep it and die slowly" choice. I wish there were a simple way to show what exactly we're facing (imho), but it requires a certain level of paying attention (not a high level, mind you, but more than most consumer-culture wage-slaves are wont to give) to "get".

Maybe a better analogy would be the pneumatic addict who tries to convince the doctor that if he can just get one more shot of demerol (debt), he'll make a miraculous recovery. "We", as a society, are deeply, almost terminally ill. The proclaimations of the Fed and Treasury are starting to take on the desperate, wheedling sound of the cirrhotic alkie who's broken with reality far enough that they're convinced that if they can just get back to baseline one more time, they'll kick the habit, get a job, and live happily ever after. That's not how it works. The US needs rehab. Rehab is not accomplished with further "stimulus".

Everything is going to get extremely unpleasant and serious. The questions are "when" and "for how long". The longer we put it off, the worse it gets.

The Market is a harsh mistress, but at least it never lies to you.

The size of the failures you're discussing really do lend itself to the theory of, "Get in the street with a shotgun and take what you can," because there won't be much left when things start falling apart.

Did you hear about the Russian political scientist who predicted the breakup of the United State by 2010?

Yeah. Being of my particular political bent, I'm fairly well armed and halfway anxious to "give it a go" in the post-apocalyptic former US. But that's really just a fantasy, no less so than "well, we'll just take on some more debt and be back in bigscreens and SUVs before you know it". What's really going to happen, I suspect (and fear), is a return to what amounts to feudalism, but in a much more organized, scientific, and inexorable way. It turns out that the Enlightenment dies with a whimper rather than with a bang.

Possibly. I'm not willing to buy that option just yet, and I think there are a lot of people in this country that won't stand by idly while the country falls apart.

But that's just a hunch, and I've been wrong before.

I suppose the question is "what can they do about it?" re: those who would stop the slide. I don't think even the very well intentioned (myself probably included) are truly prepared to take on the crapstorm that would result from emancipating ourselves from the yoke of firmly entrenched capital. We'll push it off for as long as we can because we're soft, weak, and inured to servitude.

I actually recommend against it, because it's just depressing, but if you're really interested in the fiscal realities with which we're confronted, google "velocity of money", "federal reserve", "LIPOR", and throw in one of the many available primers on what "fractional reserve banking" really means. You seem like a reasonably intelligent fellow. I predict that in a few days you'll be stockpiling canned goods and firearms.

Or maybe, like me, you just won't give a toss anymore. Either way, I predict that you'll adopt a spitting, frustrated, contemptuous tone when anyone engages in what passes for a serious discussion of "the economy", in the conventional sense.

Just means a lower student loan rate for me :)

..oh not to mention my CC rate is down to 6.25

I actually recommend against it, because it's just depressing, but if you're really interested in the fiscal realities with which we're confronted, google "velocity of money", "federal reserve", "LIPOR", and throw in one of the many available primers on what "fractional reserve banking" really means. You seem like a reasonably intelligent fellow. I predict that in a few days you'll be stockpiling canned goods and firearms.

Or maybe, like me, you just won't give a toss anymore. Either way, I predict that you'll adopt a spitting, frustrated, contemptuous tone when anyone engages in what passes for a serious discussion of "the economy", in the conventional sense.

Since Ive been sitting on my butt unemployed, I have been doing nothing but researching these things Matt keeps talking about. HOLY CRAP! This really is scary. And yes Im depressed and stocking up. Talking about a huge crap storm coming our way.

One my wealthy friends (very wealthy) had been giving me advice since this summer to buy up gold and guns. Thats exactly what him and his father were doing. I didnt really understand why until these last few weeks.

If you don't have any assets, you're going to be laughing out the other side of your shanty when the S really hits the F. Hey, me too.

Man I'm a college student. The only assets I have are my guitar and laptop :)

Car and everything else are on my parents' names.

So since I don't watch TV or read the news much lately, where is the $$ for the stimulus coming from exactly?

PS, I think the U.S. could use a "refresh" on more than just the financial front.

So since I don't watch TV or read the news much lately, where is the $$ for the stimulus coming from exactly?

PS, I think the U.S. could use a "refresh" on more than just the financial front.

It's coming from your future, and (more to the point) that of your children. At least putatively. What's really happening is the continuation of an unprecedented transfer of wealth from normal people to hucksters. The dollar will reset (collapse) long before the bills come due, what matters is who has what when that occurs. If current trends continue (and I'm about 99% certain they will), you and yours will essentially be serfs. This ends with blood, no other way. Better now than later.

I mean, is the bill primarily printing money or is there going to be cash coming in from another sovereign nation?

PS, I'm glad my passport came in last month...

Forgive me for Misunderestimating your understanding of economics (and latin). As far as I can see, the usual suspects are still lining up to buy t-bills. It's a dark hilarity that those who were stacked up around the block to screw us silly now find themselves in a similarly bleak economic corner where they can't just call in the markers, lest someone get wise that they, too, were playing fast and loose with reality.

Maybe the definining characteristic of this collapse/depression will be that the world reserve currency is the one that is obviously headed to the glue factory. That changes the entire game. It's not out of the question that this might (perversely) play in our favor, but it's certainly unjust. My prediction is that foreign governments will continue to buy treasuries right up to the point that we default on sovereign debt, because they can't just come out and admit that the Emperor has no clothes, lest they too wind up hanging from a lamp-post.

Well sir, thank you for your explanation.

"Liberate Vos Ex Inferis" and the ability to google are my sole understanding of Latin.

And my understanding of economics comes from both Ron Paul and a UNLV professor with a thick African accent and an overuse of self-answered hypotheticals.

Back