DOUG AND 9/11

SEAN

I dont post alot on here, but I do read quite a bit here. I just wanted to say that what doug wrote in his 9/11 message hit the nail on the head. Personal accountability and looking out for each other is the only way we can succeed as a country and win this "war on terrorism". You really cant eliminate those people who hate us (americans) so much, you can only attempt to stop and limit their attempts at harming us. We are a strong country, and if we band together both as fellow americans and as pilots we can make it out on top. Take care of your neighbor and yourself, and most importantly....

....God bless America.

Yes, thank you Doug. Your message brought tears to my eyes. (Isn't it nice to have a weepy female among you
tongue.gif
) We can all stand to remember your message every day, not just today.

Fly safe!

Well said Doug. I was at home and remember thinking the world and the USA will never be the same. And Doug thanks for a great website for us "aviation junkies".

R2F go to the home page once in a while
smile.gif

Doug a few issues with your msg.

1) Delta stopped hiring in May 2001. May 6, during my interview I was told that they had all the pilots they needed for the forseeable future and at best I would be placed in a pool.

2) Midway had horrible financial problems prior to 9-11. I agree with you 100% that corporate America's CEO's are taking complete advantage of disasters. Opportunism at its worst.

3) I believe the War on Terror is more effective than the War on Drugs. Don't kid yourself, Terror Leaders are scared. Imagine having a huge price on your head! They have rounded up quite a few and will continue to do so. I have some acquaintances who are working in covert ops and you'd be amazed at the resources they have, or maybe you wouldn't. There are politics going on of course, but I think you will see some interesting announcements coming up, especially as Nov 2004 starts to loom close.

[ QUOTE ]
R2F go to the home page once in a while

[/ QUOTE ]
The "home... what???"
wink.gif

Guess that might help, huh.

Terrorism is a mindset and not an army, that's my point. You can round up Hamas, al Quada, the al Aqsa Brigade, etc and put them on Venus, but the emotional terrorist "mindset" will persist with or without them.

Eric Rudolph, the "DC Snipers" and that goofball they executed in Florida are terrorists as well and have no connection with the above mentioned organizations.

It's almost like a war on voracious greed. If we execute the greedy, will greed go away?

I think any 'war on terror' is so much deeper than simply eliminating known terrorist organizations, but we've also got to change the terrorist mindset, both in the middle east and in our own back yards.

Yup, we've got to eliminate them, but that's only 1/2 the solution.

[ QUOTE ]
There are politics going on of course, but I think you will see some interesting announcements coming up, especially as Nov 2004 starts to loom close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which goes right along with Doug's statement in his 9/11 message:

<font color="blue">Don’t, by any means, rely on the government to protect you. They’re in the business of getting re-elected and nothing more. </font>

I think he hit the nail on the head with the idea SHOULD be to change the terrorist mindset.

As of right now, all the U.S. is doing is creating more NEW terrorists by bullying the Middle East.

Stomping around with a big stick, usually gets you whacked from behind.

[ QUOTE ]
As of right now, all the U.S. is doing is creating more NEW terrorists by bullying the Middle East.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Seriously, what did we do with Iraq? As despicable as Saddam Hussein was, one thing he did was keep al Qaeda and folks like them out. Okay, his methods won't win any praise from the human rights folks, but he did it.

Now we've got al Qaeda folks running around Iraq blowing stuff up and killing our soldiers. And we'll be paying for it, in dollars and blood, for many years to come.

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome message Doug!

Hey maybe we should sponsor Doug for President in '04!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I don't think an Independent has any chance of winning the presidency!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is an awesome quote!!!!

There are certainly fewer terrorists today than there were before 9-11. You just didn't hear about them! I remember seeing news in Europe about an army 100,000+ strong of suicide bombers in the Middle East sworn to take out at least one Israeli or American life with their own. This was in July 2000.

To say that all this focused effort on terrorism causes a reverse effect is, well, at best? "Unintelligent."

[ QUOTE ]
To say that all this focused effort on terrorism causes a reverse effect is, well, at best? "Unintelligent."

[/ QUOTE ]
Tenney, the next time someone lights you up on these boards and you start your "oh pity me" and "what did I do??" song and dance, remember this quote above.

When you insult another man's intlligence, you cross the line. Whether it's me... or anyone else on this board.

You want respect? Show it!

Don't throw the first punch and then cry when someone retaliates.

Ahhhhhh - skip it.... I'm talking to a man who sincerely things Fox News really IS "Fair and Balanced".
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Don’t, by any means, rely on the government to protect you. They’re in the business of getting re-elected and nothing more.

I think he hit the nail on the head with the idea SHOULD be to change the terrorist mindset.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the part about not relying on the government for defense. That is a big reason why I'm such a big supporter of 2nd Amendment rights.

I disagree, however, that "all the U.S. is doing is creating more NEW terrorists by bullying the Middle East." We may create some new terrorists with our actions, but the majority of people that we are fighting are the same people who have been against us all along: Saddam's thugs and assorted paramilitary killers from all over the Middle East.

I think that what is happening in Iraq today is substantially a good thing for us. We have all these people who were in hiding in the past that are now fighting us, more or less in the open. That enables us to kill them a lot easier. If they are in Iraq, it means that they aren't in the apartment complex next door, your local airport, or dropping explosives off at your favorite restaurant.

The one noticeable thing that has happened since the War on Terror started is that al-Quaeda has been reduced to the level of planting car bombs in third world countries. That is a far cry from the sophisticated operation that they launched on 9-11.

I think we're winning.

[ QUOTE ]
To say that all this focused effort on terrorism causes a reverse effect is, well, at best?

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure about that? Afghanistan made sense, to deny al Qaeda its safe haven.

However, all we did in Iraq, other than squander hundreds of billions of dollars and hundreds of American lives, is create a boatload of new recruits of al Qaeda. Eliminating Saddam Hussein, while a good thing, isn't as important.

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree, however, that "all the U.S. is doing is creating more NEW terrorists by bullying the Middle East." We may create some new terrorists with our actions, but the majority of people that we are fighting are the same people who have been against us all along: Saddam's thugs and assorted paramilitary killers from all over the Middle East.

I think that what is happening in Iraq today is substantially a good thing for us.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, dave my friend, I respectfully disagree with your disagreement.
laugh.gif

What's to say that the new terrorists created won't be as lethal or more lethal than those we have terminated (or who have termintated themselves along with many other innocents?)

I guess the bottom line is - "we shall see."

Personally, I hope YOU are right and I am wrong, but I'm afraid it'll be just the opposite.

BTW - STILL can't see your avtar.
wink.gif
Must be my computer.

[quoteI disagree, however, that "all the U.S. is doing is creating more NEW terrorists by bullying the Middle East." We may create some new terrorists with our actions, but the majority of people that we are fighting are the same people who have been against us all along: Saddam's thugs and assorted paramilitary killers from all over the Middle East.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree with you here. I really think that we stirred up a hornet's nest in Iraq.

I sure as hell hope, though, that I am dead wrong. And if I am, I will be more than happy to say "you're right" when you say "I told you so."

Back