Double engine failure due to single bird strike

wheelsup

Incident: Eurowings A319 at Stuttgart on Aug 13th 2017, rejected takeoff due to one bird strike damaging both engines

By Simon Hradecky, created Thursday, Aug 17th 2017 10:42Z, last updated Thursday, Aug 17th 2017 10:42Z

A Eurowings Airbus A319-100, registration D-ABGO performing flight EW-2924 from Stuttgart (Germany) to Antalya (Turkey), was accelerating for takeoff from Stuttgart's runway 07 when the left hand engine ingested a bird and failed, the right hand engine failed almost at the same time. The crew rejected takeoff at high speed, turned off the runway about 1,900 meters/6,230 feet down the runway and stopped clear of the runway.

The Aviation Herald received information stating, that the left hand engine ingested a bird causing severe damage to all fanblades. Fragments of the fan blades accelerated forward impacting the engine inlet as well as the slats/flaps and forward fuselage. Fragments also flew over to the right hand side and were ingested by the right hand engine resulting in fan blade damage of the right hand engine, too. The left engine inlet received several punctures, the fan case, slats/flaps and forward fuselage several dents.

Germany's BFU receiving this description of the occurrence as outlined above reported, they have been informed about this occurrence and are currently collecting further information to determine the classification of the occurrence.

In the following days the aircraft was seen in a maintenance hangar with the left hand engine off the pylon for being replaced and the right hand engine wide open being worked upon

http://avherald.com/h?article=4ad17d93&opt=0

That must of been a pretty beefy bird.
pterodactyl-adrian-chesterman_54f6.jpg

I accepted an airplane a few days ago where the mechanics were doing a post bird strike inspection. The flight attendants were all complaining about how they had a bird strike and the captain "said NOTHING! He said nothing! And the copilot told us".

I guess they didn't like my answer of "Birds? Oh we hit birds all the darned time, 99.999% of the time you don't even know you just find some blood and some guts that you assume were there already".

*GLARE*

I accepted an airplane a few days ago where the mechanics were doing a post bird strike inspection. The flight attendants were all complaining about how they had a bird strike and the captain "said NOTHING! He said nothing! And the copilot told us".

I guess they didn't like my answer of "Birds? Oh we hit birds all the darned time, 99.999% of the time you don't even know you just find some blood and some guts that you assume were there already".

*GLARE*

You definitely don't want to tell them that. They tend to exaggerate things by 20. Drunk guy lights up a smoke in the lav = THIS GUY TRIED TO LIGHT THE LAV ON FIRE AND KILL EVERYONE...it was soooooo scary.

Back