Don't Do This.

FS1

Hi.

I've been lurking this forum for almost a year.. I seldom post because I don't like contention and it seems trying to correct some misconceptions with the FAA is sometimes more trouble than its worth. ;)

Anyway, this post is about a lad who came into the support manager's office today at my facility. If you've never seen me before, I'm a FAA employee in tech ops at a level 12 facility. I'm also a PUBNAT2er and my clearances (sec and med) have been done for about two weeks, so like many of the PUBNAT2 folks I'm just waiting for a go date for OKC.

Since our facility is quite large we get many visits and requests for tours.. interviews.. etc. I did my interview at my facility even though I worked with the interviewing manager every day. He's a fantastic guy so it was pretty much a formality.

Anyway, some guy comes in the other day and I get asked to sit in at the tail end of the guys' interview, mostly because I'm done with the hiring process save the part about getting my class date. The guy said it was cool because he wanted to ask me specific questions about my timeline for hiring and how the ATSAT was, etc.

First of all, the guy obviously thought he knew exactly what the process was about. He hadn't taken the ATSAT yet.. hell he hadn't even applied on ASAP. But he KNEW what the test was going to be like. I recommend him the "green book" and he said he already had another one he thought was better.

Keep in mind, we're sitting in front of the support manager during all this.

So he keeps asking me when he can schedule his ATSAT. I tell him you don't call and schedule a date as much as you apply and HR e-mails you telling you to contact the contractor. He seems to ignore than sentence and asks me again.

Long story shorter.. the guy just had it in his head that he wanted to come to my facility or another one that was a 12. He knew he was a shoe-in, and not me or a manager at my facility was gonna tell him differently.

I'm picked up for a level 12 facility too. But I realize already how much of a challenge its going to be for a newbie like me to get checked out at a level 12. But I think I'm up to the challenge.

Oh, and the guy was in jeans and a hat.

For most people, its probably obvious what this guy's problem was. But if you're brand new in the process.. just keep in mind.. that everyone you speak to, HR or not, is going to have some say on how far you go. And its probably a better default position to assume you know nothing, rather than assume you know everything.

Take care guys. Hope to see some of you in OKC.

FS1

What? Someone who thought they were a shoe in? Someone with a big head?!?!?! Certainly not anyone here.....raydon, were you there? ;)

TBH, most of the people on here seem to be in the know as how to appropriately act. And if they don't well more spots open for us :)

zz :)

What? Someone who thought they were a shoe in? Someone with a big head?!?!?! Certainly not anyone here.....raydon, were you there? ;)

TBH, most of the people on here seem to be in the know as how to appropriately act. And if they don't well more spots open for us :)

zz :)

HEY.. Sorry I can't help being as good as I am :sarcasm:.. but I'd never WALK INTO A FACILITY and act like a freaking <edited>..

jesus I feel sorry for the guy... I may have even blushed a little bit when I read that..

come on.. you know this stupid ego displayed in the stupid forums is all fun and games..

$50 says I'm one of the most timid guys you'll meet in real person.

HEY.. Sorry I can't help being as good as I am :sarcasm:.. but I'd never WALK INTO A FACILITY and act like a freaking <edited>..

jesus I feel sorry for the guy... I may have even blushed a little bit when I read that..

come on.. you know this stupid ego displayed in the stupid forums is all fun and games..

$50 says I'm one of the most timid guys you'll meet in real person.

Meet me in SAC Thursday night for a beers, I gotta meet the RAYDON.

Now why the HECK would I drive all the way out there to hang out with a SOONER fan???

;)

seriously though... the only thing that's gonna get me to drive all the freaking way out to sacramento on a work night is if it involves ONE GUY (me) and 7 half-naked female midgets doing an interpretive dance re-enactment of Time Bandits.

and.. while i DO have it happening on New Years.. the forecast is not looking so good for thursday.

(I honestly would if I wasn't going broke at the moment.. gotta find new work and take care of a few loose ends)

Might as well go knock on the doors of Google and tell them that I will be the next CEO. :sarcasm::sarcasm:

That guy sounds like his parents bought and paid for everything.

***manager stands up and slaps the kid across the face***:nana2:
humility in the real world is like listening to Kansas' "wayward son" on a monday morning drive to work and looking out the window to see gas prices dropping to below $2 a gallon. It rocks your socks off. :rawk:

Hi.

I've been lurking this forum for almost a year.. I seldom post because I don't like contention and it seems trying to correct some misconceptions with the FAA is sometimes more trouble than its worth. ;)

Anyway, this post is about a lad who came into the support manager's office today at my facility. If you've never seen me before, I'm a FAA employee in tech ops at a level 12 facility. I'm also a PUBNAT2er and my clearances (sec and med) have been done for about two weeks, so like many of the PUBNAT2 folks I'm just waiting for a go date for OKC.

Since our facility is quite large we get many visits and requests for tours.. interviews.. etc. I did my interview at my facility even though I worked with the interviewing manager every day. He's a fantastic guy so it was pretty much a formality.

Anyway, some guy comes in the other day and I get asked to sit in at the tail end of the guys' interview, mostly because I'm done with the hiring process save the part about getting my class date. The guy said it was cool because he wanted to ask me specific questions about my timeline for hiring and how the ATSAT was, etc.

First of all, the guy obviously thought he knew exactly what the process was about. He hadn't taken the ATSAT yet.. hell he hadn't even applied on ASAP. But he KNEW what the test was going to be like. I recommend him the "green book" and he said he already had another one he thought was better.

Keep in mind, we're sitting in front of the support manager during all this.

So he keeps asking me when he can schedule his ATSAT. I tell him you don't call and schedule a date as much as you apply and HR e-mails you telling you to contact the contractor. He seems to ignore than sentence and asks me again.

Long story shorter.. the guy just had it in his head that he wanted to come to my facility or another one that was a 12. He knew he was a shoe-in, and not me or a manager at my facility was gonna tell him differently.

I'm picked up for a level 12 facility too. But I realize already how much of a challenge its going to be for a newbie like me to get checked out at a level 12. But I think I'm up to the challenge.

Oh, and the guy was in jeans and a hat.

For most people, its probably obvious what this guy's problem was. But if you're brand new in the process.. just keep in mind.. that everyone you speak to, HR or not, is going to have some say on how far you go. And its probably a better default position to assume you know nothing, rather than assume you know everything.

Take care guys. Hope to see some of you in OKC.

FS1

is it bad that i already did this?

Clearances are already in for you? Two weeks ago? LOL......

:D something is fishy...

My security investigation was waived since I'm already a badged FAA employee and work in the facility that I've been assigned. My medical was done pretty quickly as I took the MMPI-2 in my own facility and I can talk to the contractor doing medical clearances via FAA Sametime pretty much whenever. (I took the Flight Phys and the Drug Test on the same day)

I'm still going to get to wait for slots for my facility in the academy, etc, just like everyone else.

FS1

My security investigation was waived since I'm already a badged FAA employee and work in the facility that I've been assigned. My medical was done pretty quickly as I took the MMPI-2 in my own facility and I can talk to the contractor doing medical clearances via FAA Sametime pretty much whenever. (I took the Flight Phys and the Drug Test on the same day)

I'm still going to get to wait for slots for my facility in the academy, etc, just like everyone else.

FS1

Thats awesome man!! I knew there was more to that story...sorry to come off as an azz....

:yeahthat:I know I'm new, but I'm not that new! "Hello, I really don't want this job. Tell your friends." Wowserz!

Is the general feeling that it actually helps you (name recognition, proactiveness, etc) to show your face around a facility? (Obviously not in such an idiotic way, but in a more professional, like you actually want a job way) I'd love to do this anyway, just because I think it'd be awesome to see the inside of some of these places, but do we feel like it might get you remembered, or are the people you talk to on tours even involved with the process?

So you're telling me I shouldn't have done that?!? Cause if somebody would've specifically told me... "Hey, don't be a <edited> when you tour a facility," I totally would not have done that. I mean it's not written down anywhere. Where are the guidelines for <edited>? How embarrassing.
Do you think I can still get the job? I was born for this. And my bother's, girlfriends, ants, second cousins grandfather, was Archie League. So it’s in my blood.

Back