Don't be like Bob or "How to spot an Alaska Airlines management pilot!"

Is this that union brotherhood at work. The JC crowd out with pitch porks looking to burn a witch today it seems.

If you must know, I had vacation and our contract sucks in a vacation month. A cruise booked well in advance was departing April 3. I only had 4 vacation days and with the unpredictability of reserve lines, I did not know if bidding reserve would have covered my entire cruise time. So I bid lines, and mind you, if there’s a 130 lines I’m about 10 below that so bidding about 140. I get slim pickings even if I’m lucky. 10 people above me have to skip a line bid just for me to even have a chance. My original line had a 2-day trip April 2-3 that had to be moved for vacation conflict. I ended up with work April 1-2. Regardless, an emergency came up at home and I didn’t even fly that day, nor could I have made it to picket.

Yup. I had to trade out of a vacation conflict. Line bidding sucks. $50 says with PBS I could have gotten my vacation to work out and gotten April 1 off. But some people love being in the ‘70s technology.

That’s a heck of an accusation to make, without proof. I picked up in 2019. The Contract was NOT amendable until April 1 2020. By then Covid was here. Now, I pickup from other pilots (pilot grab). It helps that pilot out and helps me out. I have not picked up a premium time (150%) in a long time, certainly before contract negotiations.

And btw, maybe some of you union folks can answer this, because I saw this at my last airline. There is no retro, instead it’s a “signing bonus.” Once a TA is AIPed, the company and union come up with a lump sum for signing bonus (retro). The company cuts a check to the union, the union decides how to split it amongst the pilot group - historically speaking. At my last carrier, I didn’t pickup because that was the “cool” thing to do, yet, after 5 yrs last amendable date we get a contract, and the union ties the signing bonus to W2 earnings since the amendable date! WTH over? So now the union is rewarding guys who picked up open time during negotiations. Yeah, because that makes sense?
Bruh

I’m not at all noting the strong pro-union stances by folks who otherwise spew Fox News propaganda elsewhere around here. Not at all. No cognitive dissonance to see…

almost like putting people in a box based on their political views is not possible.

I mean, at least on how the “solidarity!” bit is very selfish and only their union is ok.

I don't follow you. It's a thread about a pilot union, and you're Godwining it by starting a broader political pursefight for literally no reason other than you enjoy getting up the noses of people with whom you disagree about politics. There are plenty of threads for that, pick one. Pick them all.

Some people, while not actually scabs, are definitely scabs deep down in their heart.

Imagine advocating against a raise for yourself. Now imagine doing that in a world overrun with corporate greed that’s been eroding labor rights and wages for decades on end.

Some people, while not actually scabs, are definitely scabs deep down in their heart.

Imagine advocating against a raise for yourself. Now imagine doing that in a world overrun with corporate greed that’s been eroding labor rights and wages for decades on end.

This guy is super sus:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ignore this asshat. He doesn't have an audience outside of the blogspam for which he wrote that piece. There are more important things on which Alaska pilots need to be laser focused at the moment, such as writing our reps and making sure they understand that we can't afford to waste the power of our unity on half-assed proposals!

I don't follow you. It's a thread about a pilot union, and you're Godwining it by starting a broader political pursefight for literally no reason other than you enjoy getting up the noses of people with whom you disagree about politics. There are plenty of threads for that, pick one. Pick them all.
I don’t have a dog in this fight other than this is occurring in my community… but you don’t see how the broader political context relates to this?

We had a guy like this during section 6. He lives (or lived) in Boulder. He actually told FOs we should make less because *reasons*

Look, I’m in total agreement that the guy in question is an idiot I wouldn’t want to work with. But here are a couple quotes from party platforms…so yes, I stand behind my statement about cognitive dissonance:
We will fight to pass laws that direct the National Labor Relations Board to certify a union if a simple majority of eligible workers sign valid authorization cards, as well as laws that bring companies to the negotiating table. We support binding arbitration to help workers who have voted to join a union reach a first contract.
We will restore the rule of law to labor law by blocking “card check,” enacting the Secret Ballot Protection Act, enforcing the Hobbs Act against labor violence, and passing the Raise Act to allow all workers to receive well-earned raises without the approval of their union representative. We demand an end to the Project Labor Agreements; and we call for repeal of the Davis-Bacon Act, which costs the taxpayers billions of dollars annually in artificially high wages on government projects. We support the right of States to enact Right-to-Work laws and encourage them to do so to promote greater economic liberty. Ultimately, we support the enactment of a National Right-to-Work law to promote worker freedom and to promote greater economic liberty.

Just ignore this asshat. He doesn't have an audience outside of the blogspam for which he wrote that piece. There are more important things on which Alaska pilots need to be laser focused at the moment, such as writing our reps and making sure they understand that we can't afford to waste the power of our unity on half-assed proposals!

Um yeah. No. We have pilots that creep on school kids? That is disturbing AF. These are good things for our pilot group and frankly other pilot groups to be aware of. One can never be too safe these days.

One can never be too safe these days.

I think he *sucks* and is probably nuttier than squirrel turds, but raising "just questions" about whether he's a pedobear when there's no obvious reason that I can see to think that he wasn't just (psychotically) tracing bus-routes (presumably in order to land a lame "zinger" on the city council, which would otherwise have then proceeded to continue to ignore him, as I'm sure they've been doing for quite a while) doesn't help the dialectic, or, more importantly, the cause.

It's a distraction from the real task at hand, and a flashing neon sign saying "Culture Warriors Welcome Here!" And Culture Warriors (on any side) have no interest in the goals of Union members. They'll show up, eat all the donuts, crap all over the place, and leave the instant a new Front is declared in the Forever Wars of vituperative rhetoric, never having fired a meaningful shot for the Union.

This dork shouldn't even be on anyone's radar. He and his little late-night screeds are meaningless unless they're given attention. Keep your powder dry.

I’m not at all noting the strong pro-union stances by folks who otherwise spew Fox News propaganda elsewhere around here. Not at all. No cognitive dissonance to see…

I’ve had a coworker or two decry “big labor” in one sentence, but bemoan “wHy IsNt ALPA sTePpInG uP tO sHuT tHiNgS dOwN”. Ha!

”So you support candidates with an anti-labor platform but then want (dare I say labor) ALPA to completely dominate DC…. OK”

Back