DOJ sues to prevent LCC/AMR link up

Ugh, that's nearly 3 months away...

you're starting to see more and more pressure against the doj. I've also been reading that a few people involved with the doj said they were debating on even filing the suit in the first place. I'm thinking they were hoping that AA and US would have just walked away rather that fight it which is the case 99% of the time. My guess is maybe they will come to a solution before the court date.

If the trial is allowed to drag on until February which is what the DOJ wants, then this thing isn't happening.

If this were most other industries, the DoJ wouldn't care. All the "free market" people would be up in arms. However, since everyone thinks they're entitled to cheap airfare, none of those people is saying jack. I thought airlines were businesses trying to make a profit and competed with each other as well as other means of transportation like driving, trains and busses. Last time I checked, plenty of trains and cars flowed through DC and NY. People have gotten spoiled with lower airfares, and now that they're creeping back up they feel like they're being gouged.

I think you hit it.

People want cheap tickets at all costs.

And you'd better not be late as then they want cash and prizes.

If this were most other industries, the DoJ wouldn't care. All the "free market" people would be up in arms. However, since everyone thinks they're entitled to cheap airfare, none of those people is saying jack. I thought airlines were businesses trying to make a profit and competed with each other as well as other means of transportation like driving, trains and busses. Last time I checked, plenty of trains and cars flowed through DC and NY. People have gotten spoiled with lower airfares, and now that they're creeping back up they feel like they're being gouged.

Ugh. You're right.

Tonight we were buttoned up in Boston, and we saw two people going CRAZY in the window. We were already late, so we figured what's 3 minutes more, and the CA asked the gate agent to put them on. Jetbridge pulled away and everything. They got on, and didn't really thank us, but whatever.

Then on arrival I kind of expected them to thank us. Nope. Nothing. Just got off and said nothing. Clearly they didn't understand that we did them a kindness.

That's the mentality now. "Get me there driver, and don't be late. Oh, and I'm being generous if I pay $100 to fly across the country."

Most people will give you a blank stare if you try to explain how on time departures work. They can't wrap their minds around the fact that there's a difference between pulling over to the curb, lowering a bus and opening doors and what we do.

looks like this probably is going to fail.
1) trial date most likely won't be till march - aa will walk away
2) if it does go to trial aa will most likely lose
3) the doj doesn't seem to want to settle at all and most likely wants this entire thing to be defeated.

3) the doj doesn't seem to want to settle at all and most likely wants this entire thing to be defeated.
Patience grasshopper. Didn't you just post a few up that it'll be settled out of court.

Patience grasshopper. Didn't you just post a few up that it'll be settled out of court.

Lots can happen in a few days.

I've educated myself on the process of how this works and it looks like EVERYTHING is stacked against this. I read that when the doj and the companies met throughout the summer the doj wasn't receptive to any kind of settlement.

Last edited:
Lot's can happen in a few days.

I've educated myself on the process of how this works and it looks like EVERYTHING is stacked against this. I read that when the doj and the companies met throughout the summer the doj wasn't receptive to any kind of settlement.

To the contrary, everything I've read says it WILL happen. Now, even officials from TX, FL, and NC, the states involved in the lawsuit, have come out in support of the merger. Also, past precedence shows no more than 105 days at most has been given to DOJ in the past to prepare for anti trust cases. It won't make it the 180 they're asking for now.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Even our merger we "walked away from" and our union called it "The company killed it! The merger is OFF! Woo hoo!" -- meanwhile a few months later, it was a done deal.

Or:
1) Trial happens in November, before either parties 'walk away'.
2) If it does go to trial, AA could certainly win. It has been stated by many different sources that the DOJ has a relatively weak case.
3) Maybe they will end up settling, and the entire thing will go through just fine.

To the contrary, everything I've read says it WILL happen. Now, even officials from TX, FL, and NC, the states involved in the lawsuit, have come out in support of the merger. Also, past precedence shows no more than 105 days at most has been given to DOJ in the past to prepare for anti trust cases. It won't make it the 180 they're asking for now.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The officials in TX, FL, and NC are local officials. The Miami Mayor, state senator from Ft. Worth and a local official from Wilmington. Even if they were to get more prominent members they would have no power unless the doj drops the suit. The Doj and the judge are in charge of this process now.

The past precedence was for Federal Trade Commission hearings. The last doj trial was the At&t and T-mobile merger which got 180 days like the doj requested. The judge has a case in that time frame and since there are still procedures in litigation that need to be observed she could extend it to March. We'll know in a week and if it goes the doj's way. I would bet on this deal being dead if it does go their way. AA creditors may just walk away if they have to wait that long because once the December deadline is reached every hedge fund will be able to put their two cents in.

I want this deal to happen as well but the more I educate myself about the doj process the more a realize this getting more far fetched by the day.

Not to mention politicians are doing what politicians do such as how will this merger hurt my districts! Doing his or her best work behind the scenes whereas no one knows who's flipping the switches.

This is 100% the opposite of everything I have read. I have absolutely no knowledge on this subject so my opinion is worthless but it seems that people in the know think the DoJ has no chance if this thing makes it to trial.

As for the trial it sounds like it will be sooner rather than later. I've read analysts/lawyer quotes calling the Feb date "outrageous" and 'off the charts" while being compared to other anti trust cases.

This is 100% the opposite of everything I have read. I have absolutely no knowledge on this subject so my opinion is worthless but it seems that people in the know think the DoJ has no chance if this thing makes it to trial.

As for the trial it sounds like it will be sooner rather than later. I've read analysts/lawyer quotes calling the Feb date "outrageous" and 'off the charts" while being compared to other anti trust cases.

I hope you're right, I guess we'll see next week. Friday they decide the court date.

Back