DOJ sues to prevent LCC/AMR link up

AA and Airways are much larger than B6. Smaller mergers will probably be allowed.

True but the doj's argument is that is reduced competition. If AA merges with b6 they will have over 50% market share out of jfk and 70% out of Boston, and let's not forget about south Florida.

I'm thinking that if I was at JetBlue, I'd wish we had a union negotiated scope clause in our contract in place :).

I hear ya, though I'm not sure it would matter. There are plenty of examples where the smaller airline gets screwed even with a union CBA. From a purely academic standpoint, it would be interesting to see if our PEA is worth the paper it is printed on. Even if we are just stapled to the bottom of AA's list, that's not that bad in the long run. :)

True but the doj's argument is that is reduced competition. If AA merges with b6 they will have over 50% market share out of jfk and 70% out of Boston, and let's not forget about south Florida.

In either case (AA-Airways or AA-JetBlue), divestitures would have to take place, no question. I'm thinking the AA-Airways deal will go through, just with some DCA slot losses, etc. But who knows?

I too think the merger will go through, eventually. For now, I am going to sit back and relish in watching Dougie squirm a bit. I am surprised at how many pilots are offended that the DOJ did this after what PHX tried to do to AE a few weeks ago.

Yes it did!

There is one list in case you didn't notice there.

I'm talking about even before then. You know, a holding company buying another one (non union) and then growing them at the expense of the ALPA one. Back then, a judge ruled single carrier and that we should have one list operation, but then later the judge reversed that decision. This was well before the 3-way screw job.

I'm in the schoolhouse this week, and one of the types that puts his name on memos dropped by. He was there with the man in charge when the call came down that the DOJ is trying to block the deal. Allegedly, it was said that "We had a plan A,B, and C and have absolutely no idea what to do with *this*."

In other words, expect a mild frenzy for the paper pushers. This apparently changes a lot- they really believed the merger was a done deal.

Ya know,

If the DOJ would spend time investigating and prosecuting the folks involved with price rigging, and gaming of the system, that has been going on with price of fuel and gasoline over the past 7 years, airfares would drop by 20% across the board.

Airlines are paying out 35% of the price on an airline ticket just for fuel. That is their single largest expense and the primary reason for the capacity reduction. Airlines just can't start adding routes and flying around planes with empty seats with the fuel cost at the present levels.

Joe

I thought this was already a done deal. Didn't realize the government was gonna take so long to stop it.

I'm in the schoolhouse this week, and one of the types that puts his name on memos dropped by. He was there with the man in charge when the call came down that the DOJ is trying to block the deal. Allegedly, it was said that "We had a plan A,B, and C and have absolutely no idea what to do with *this*."

In other words, expect a mild frenzy for the paper pushers. This apparently changes a lot- they really believed the merger was a done deal.

According to this article: http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/120...-is-weak-say-american-us-airways-lawyers.html it sounds like the lawyers were expecting resistance from the DOJ, and are surprised at how weak their case is. Sounds pretty cocky if you ask me.

According to this article: http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/120...-is-weak-say-american-us-airways-lawyers.html it sounds like the lawyers were expecting resistance from the DOJ, and are surprised at how weak their case is. Sounds pretty cocky if you ask me.

Well, this is the initial filing. It might've been a last minute effort to stall for time. I don't know- I'm not a lawyer. I just think it interesting that something that so many had assumed was a done deal is suddenly being held up this way. I wonder what the underlying politics really are.

Back