Does a CRJ2/7/9 have a hepa filter?

I don't care if they deffer it dude. Past 95 we don't even get in the airplane. In the Saab days (northwest) we'd just bring the plane back if it couldnt keep the heat down. One year no one would board without aircarts so we delayed every damn plane, guess what we had 2 days later delivered by truck. You know when the external air carts are new the air coming out for the first few days smells like the rubber hoses?

I know regionals suck guys, either do something about it or don't bitch.
Acquiesence implies acceptance, after all.

Acquiesence implies acceptance, after all.
I admit I fell into a good regional, but what do pilots expect? Mx just gonna come wipe ur ass for ya? Management won't back ya up? Yeah man, POI. "But my regional sucks and I won't be there long. Trouble makers dont have successful careers! Cooperate / graduate!"

I get so tired of this crap. The whole 121 process is setup to unf*** your life up as a PIC. The truth? Pilots don't write stuff up because THEY don't wanna deal with it. Pilots blame management like management blames us.

Screamer isn't kidding but here's the truth.

When you write it up for the third time the Feds show up.

Planes were never meant to takeoff, get to 26000 feet (I'm looking at you -200) and get hotter and hotter. While it is the nickleback of the sky, the -200 is flown by mostly pilots who've lost all hope. Let me be your pep talk. Be professional and care about the passengers and your life gets better. Screw the company, if they buy filters in bulk and theyll save. It doesn't have to be a POS plane.

Dude, I wrote up so many Compass planes you wouldn't believe over them having uncontrollable cabin temp, and plenty of squawks there such as flight control no dispatches that had been written up 11 or 12 times. It was not common but also not that rare to come across a plane that had been written up 9, 10, 11 times for the same issue. Many times an MEL would be applied, "fixed, ops checks good", next day back on MEL, oh look another 10 days or 90 days... Feds did nothing. Absolutely nothing. And once you'd write it up, it's not like you had any control over what they did because almost everything was a plane swap since surprise, things were breaking all over the place and any kind of long term planning was impossible. I did refuse an airplane once for uncontrollable cabin temp based on a huge number of writeups, an MEL for pack 2 and my FA saying she had been on that plane the day before and it was hot as balls in the back and popsicle town up front. That was fun. But rarely did you get to go into it with that much evidence.
And the problem with "going to a good regional" is that they don't always stay good (or bad, look at what's happened at Endeavor since they've been purchased). Compass MX was farrr better when I started before TSH really got their grubby hands up into things. When I finally left, it was embarrassing and sad.

Dude, I wrote up so many Compass planes you wouldn't believe over them having uncontrollable cabin temp, and plenty of squawks there such as flight control no dispatches that had been written up 11 or 12 times. It was not common but also not that rare to come across a plane that had been written up 9, 10, 11 times for the same issue. Many times an MEL would be applied, "fixed, ops checks good", next day back on MEL, oh look another 10 days or 90 days... Feds did nothing. Absolutely nothing. And once you'd write it up, it's not like you had any control over what they did because almost everything was a plane swap since surprise, things were breaking all over the place and any kind of long term planning was impossible. I did refuse an airplane once for uncontrollable cabin temp based on a huge number of writeups, an MEL for pack 2 and my FA saying she had been on that plane the day before and it was hot as balls in the back and popsicle town up front. That was fun. But rarely did you get to go into it with that much evidence.
And the problem with "going to a good regional" is that they don't always stay good (or bad, look at what's happened at Endeavor since they've been purchased). Compass MX was farrr better when I started before TSH really got their grubby hands up into things. When I finally left, it was embarrassing and sad.

I gate returned once for flight controls binding. It had been written up three times, including once in flight.

They finally found a bonding strap that was too short for where it was installed, and was preventing the ailerons from moving properly.

Best part is the FO was doing his first leg of IOE. I'm sure he wondered what the hell he had just gotten himself into.

This wasn't even the worst thing that happened there, it was just another day.

I don't care if they deffer it dude. Past 95 we don't even get in the airplane. In the Saab days (northwest) we'd just bring the plane back if it couldnt keep the heat down. One year no one would board without aircarts so we delayed every damn plane, guess what we had 2 days later delivered by truck. You know when the external air carts are new the air coming out for the first few days smells like the rubber hoses?

I know regionals suck guys, either do something about it or don't bitch.

I can hear it now: “Yeaaah....you’re not a team player.”

91F2B384-18B0-498B-BCE1-C88474D95B62.jpeg

Yeah I hear ya, and if you're the ONLY guy writing anything up (*cough*Colgan*cough*) then that ain't a place I'm gonna work.

I gate returned once for flight controls binding. It had been written up three times, including once in flight.

They finally found a bonding strap that was too short for where it was installed, and was preventing the ailerons from moving properly.

Best part is the FO was doing his first leg of IOE. I'm sure he wondered what the hell he had just gotten himself into.

This wasn't even the worst thing that happened there, it was just another day.
Elevator flutter, pitch feel, and a rudder that wouldn’t center, all in one trip.

I admit I fell into a good regional, but what do pilots expect? Mx just gonna come wipe ur ass for ya? Management won't back ya up? Yeah man, POI. "But my regional sucks and I won't be there long. Trouble makers dont have successful careers! Cooperate / graduate!"

I get so tired of this crap. The whole 121 process is setup to unf*** your life up as a PIC. The truth? Pilots don't write stuff up because THEY don't wanna deal with it. Pilots blame management like management blames us.

I handled Mx as if it was a check ride every time and the number of first officers who would get pissy because it interrupts their day was eye opening.

The number of “ignition A doesn’t work” write ups I would see coming to a plane AFTER IT CAME BACK from it’s standup was astounding. Y’all know you just made a record of your own willful violation right?

Eventually the federali got wise. LCA said they were suspicious that our write ups overwhelmingly happen in base. We both agreed that when you do your job, you don’t have to worry about the clown show.

I also started fully writing it up before I even called control because it was disturbing how often Mx control would suggest sketchy activity to get the thing into a Mx base........

*in a rude voice “Yeah it’s in the book already”

*heavy disappointing sigh from other end of the line

Idiots

I handled Mx as if it was a check ride every time and the number of first officers who would get pissy because it interrupts their day was eye opening.

The number of “ignition A doesn’t work” write ups I would see coming to a plane AFTER IT CAME BACK from it’s standup was astounding. Y’all know you just made a record of your own willful violation right?

Eventually the federali got wise. LCA said they were suspicious that our write ups overwhelmingly happen in base. We both agreed that when you do your job, you don’t have to worry about the clown show.

I also started fully writing it up before I even called control because it was disturbing how often Mx control would suggest sketchy activity to get the thing into a Mx base........

Idiots
I would quote the then VP of flight operations memo telling pilots to have the writeup in the book before you call mx control.

One of our guys, the good guys, became flight standards manager (now at SJI) and he about had the weasles figured out in mx control. So many stories.

The mx guys on the line toward the end were getting abrasive with us, but so many Mesaba guys had moved on you could feel the culture changing. "You bet, lemme get in the book and we'll see what we can do for you" turned to "well uhmm, did you have anything in the book? This plane is coming back later we can look at it then..." (Hint: the plane wasnt coming back at all)

SJI they wanna know what's broke so they can get 5 or 10 guys out there and get it fixed in 20 minutes and walk back to the coffee room like heros. And they should.

Idiots
Standing there at old-job with my give-a-darn permanently deactivated, waiting for the airplane, the off-going captain comes up and says "hey, the right pack failed twice on the way here and the GPS keeps kicking off" (I forget what the exact scratchpad message was because yeah). "Okay, fair enough, thanks for the heads-up, gonna go tell the agent to hold off until we get the local guys out here for a little mallet therapy..."

"Do you want that in the book?"

SmugEasygoingBudgie-size_restricted.gif

YES I WANT IT IN THE LOGBOOK AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT CALL LINE MAINTENANCE LIKE THE FOM SAYS YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO

I now see why nothing got fixed, and why I spent a lot of time writing vigorously, sticking placards and the like.

Last edited:
and

Nuggets for newbies.

It was wild man. I’d fire up the phone call as I’m opening the book just to get things rolling, and I made the mistake of telling them I’m about to write it in and the weird suggestions that came through blew my mind......

“yeaaaaaahhh I went through a lot for this cert I’d like to keep it so I’m writing it in the book sooooooooooooooo your problem now give me a call when it’s done please and thank you......”

As far as asking me to EIE something, I only recall that once. Pretty sure it was Donald. Most of my maintenance stories are about Donald... My favorite time was being threatened by him (with an LCA sitting next to me, listening on speakerphone) with "getting a call from my chief pilot". I said wanna go ahead and transfer me right now, let's conference them in. "no, no, we'll get maintenance out there but you'll be getting a call from your chief pilot". No call in fact ever came. I wasn't going to sit there and power reset the jet 7 more times to try to clear something that had already been written up several times in the past few days. I had told him "I don't troubleshoot, I'm not a mechanic. Send a mechanic."

As far as asking me to EIE something, I only recall that once. Pretty sure it was Donald. Most of my maintenance stories are about Donald... My favorite time was being threatened by him (with an LCA sitting next to me, listening on speakerphone) with "getting a call from my chief pilot". I said wanna go ahead and transfer me right now, let's conference them in. "no, no, we'll get maintenance out there but you'll be getting a call from your chief pilot". No call in fact ever came. I wasn't going to sit there and power reset the jet 7 more times to try to clear something that had already been written up several times in the past few days. I had told him "I don't troubleshoot, I'm not a mechanic. Send a mechanic."

Hopefully CS got you irop rooms because you know damn well the parts they are sending to fix your bird are going to be “bad from stock”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back