Do you speak English?

popaviator

Not to come across as a complete prick.....but who draws the line as to whether a pilot is english proficient and meets the requirement of being capable of reading, speaking and writing the english language? Are there any parameters in which someone is evaluated?

Who knows I guess as long as your CFI who checks you off and the examiner understand you. I've questioned that myself listening to other people on frequencies.

Supposedly it's done during the issuance of a student pilot certificate, so I guess that would be the AME.

I know where you're coming from. I've had to try instructing international students who couldn't speak english. About all they ever said was "OK".

And now "English Proficient" must be listed on your pilots license. As if the original requirements to attain an FAA license were not enough...

Lame...

And now "English Proficient" must be listed on your pilots license. As if the original requirements to attain an FAA license were not enough...

Lame...
That's just to meet an ICAO requirement. Not like we have to do anything extra as pilots to get it.

Somewhere in the AC advisory there is a section that talks about the requirement for speaking English.

Isn't it required that they took some type of English classes in school or something and passed? We require documentation of this sort from our students. However that doesn't say much of anything cause I took two years of Spanish in school and can only say about 5 words... lol

Let the FSDO decide

Not to come across as a complete prick.....but who draws the line as to whether a pilot is english proficient and meets the requirement of being capable of reading, speaking and writing the english language? Are there any parameters in which someone is evaluated?

If there is any doubt as to whether or not the student speaks English to the standards that the FAA wants for that certificate, I would put them on the phone to the FSDO or have them go to the FSDO and let them evaluate it.

And I do believe there are varying levels of minimum English that FSDOs can want, as stupid as that sounds. Private pilot might get away with weaker English than someone in the US getting their ATP certificate, for instance.

I'm glad you asked this. I am tired of flying in and out of PDK and not understanding a thing people are saying. If you speak indian learn proficient english before coming to the US to learn to fly!!! It is driving me crazy!

نعم, يتكلّم أنا اللغة الانجليزية.

and i wrote it from the left... WHAT NOW? hahah

They (the FAA) actually made a video about it. Some Slovak guy who keeps saying Roger to all the questions the DPE keeps asking. Pretty lame. It's actually a requirement of the DPE recurrent training course.

Back