Do you speak English?

I thought it was only mandated to have on your certificate if you were going to fly ICAO?

My first Indian student failed the student pilot portion of his medical exam, because of his English. He spoke good enough, he was just really nervous. We went to the FSDO, the safety inspector asked a few questions, had him fill out an 8710, and that was it.

Per the PTS: If there is a doubt about English skills use AC 60-28, English Language Skill Standards.

This question was asked on my CFI oral.

Jim

The hardest part of English is to annouce those weird intersection for the very first time. :p

The following conversation usually take place:

Center: "Cleared to ***** fix."
Me: "Cleared to ...how do you say that intersection, Center?"

The hardest part of English is to annouce those weird intersection for the very first time. :p

The following conversation usually take place:

Center: "Cleared to ***** fix."
Me: "Cleared to ...how do you say that intersection, Center?"

:yeahthat: I've been listening to other people getting clearances and saying WTF?! they sound nothing like how they are spelled sometimes ..One controller had to spell it out for a jet pilot 6 times

I'm glad you asked this. I am tired of flying in and out of PDK and not understanding a thing people are saying. If you speak indian learn proficient english before coming to the US to learn to fly!!! It is driving me crazy!

Oh the irony...

Most, but not all, people from India speak Hindi, however, there are about 15 different languages and dialects within those.

Is urdu a branch of hindi or it's own language?

I had to look it up, but appears to be its own with Hindustani roots. I'm not educated as a linguist, but I wonder if one could make the argument for English being a Germanic language with Latin roots along the same lines?

Urdu is a standardised register of Hindustani<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-Encyclop.C3.A6dia_Britannica-Urdu_4-0>[5]</SUP><SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-Random_House_Dictionary-Urdu_5-0>[6]</SUP><SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-Encyclop.C3.A6dia_Britannica-Hindustani_6-0>[7]</SUP> termed the standard dialect Khariboli.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-Encyclop.C3.A6dia_Britannica-Hindustani_6-1>[7]</SUP> The grammatical description in this article concerns this standard Urdu. In general, the term "Urdu" can encompass dialects of Hindustani other than the standardised versions.The original language of the Mughals had been Turkish, but after their arrival in South Asia, they came to adopt Persian and later Urdu. The word Urdu is believed to be derived from the Turkish, word 'Ordu', which means army. It was initially called Zaban-e-Ordu or language of the army and later just Urdu. The word 'Ordu' was later anglicised as 'Horde'. Urdu, though of South Asian origin, came to be heavily influenced by Persian and Arabic. Urdu speakers have been speaking this language as their Mother tongue for several centuries. Urdu has been the medium of the literature, history and journalism of South Asian Muslims during the last 200 years. Most of the work was complemented by ancestors of native Urdu speakers in South Asia. Persian language which was the official language during the Mughals was then slowly starting to loose ground to Urdu during the reign of Shah Jahan. It was after the devastating invasion by Nadir Shah of Persia in 1738 that gave death blow to Mughal empire in South Asia, that the Mughals adopted Urdu instead of Persian as the official language of the empire. Then Urdu with official patronage developed high literature
Standard Urdu has approximately the twentieth largest population of native speakers, among all languages. It is the national language of Pakistan as well as one of the 23 official languages of India.

Apparently, there are a lot of ways to speak Indian....:D

Is urdu a branch of hindi or it's own language?

I had a Pakistani student who spoke Urdu as his native language. He said that it sounded very similar to Hindi, but they used the arabic script rather than the Hindi script... So when written they LOOK very different.

Oh the irony...

Most, but not all, people from India speak Hindi, however, there are about 15 different languages and dialects within those.

HAHA, I apoligize, I have to admit, after reading it,it came of as harsh, and your right, its hindi. I had just got home from a looong 12 hour shift!

Back