Do you have a back up plan?

TheWife

Well so as to not make the dreaded Sanfor post any longer, LOL, I'll start a new thread. Do you have an alternate? Something else you will be able to do, incase you are waiting a long time to fly, or incase you are flying for a while but something happens, say you can't pass your medical any more? Do you have other college courses or trainging in some other field, for that "just in case"?

My "backup" is law enforcement. Always something I've wanted to do, but the flying bug that bit me was much bigger and more poisonous.
smile.gif

Well, I'm going the FBO route which allowed me to keep my full-time job as a Paralegal.

I was fortunate in that I got on with a firm whoes primary focus is aviation law, whoes lead partner is a pilot (current with all his CFI ratings) and the "Jr. Partner" is also a pilot.... so they understand my need to leave early on days when I fly.

They know the deal, what my goals are and they support that... plus they pay me a pretty decent salary (for a Paralegal in Florida). They also know that I will be leaving them to instruct at some point and support that too.

If, for some ungodly reason, the industry takes another turn for the worst, I'll keep doing this. Hopefully, it'll never come to that.

That is great to have so much support! Bosses can tend to not be interested in employees personal needs.

I have always wanted to be a detective. Go ahead and laugh. Or a marriage therapist. Laugh at that one too.
smile.gif
But I am terrified of college. SO, who knows if that will ever happen.

[ QUOTE ]
I have always wanted to be a detective. Go ahead and laugh. Or a marriage therapist. Laugh at that one too. But I am terrified of college.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't be.

Set goals. Work towards them... and you'll never look back and say "what if". I've found it a LOT easier to learn and retain information when it's something you are INTERESTED in.

Nothing funny about that.

I think that I would have to do it online. Big places scare me. I have issues. The airport scares me. The malls scare me. Maybe if my husband will hold my hand and walk me to class and wait for me outside the door, then I could do it. Of course that will have to wait a while no matter what cause right now my son is my #1 and my husband is my #2 and my online businesses are #3 so I am all booked up for a while.
laugh.gif

I am retired with a pension.
I am an expert witness and consultant (http://www.tasanet.com)
I am an accomplished carpenter (specializing in historic restoration)
I am also doing my first subdivision.

Yet I still carry insurance incase I lose my medical.

But what I want to do is get a potters wheel, and throw some clay.

I don't want to be a pilot (I change my mind a while ago) right now I am working in finance and I enjoy it. I would rather get into investment banking, or consulting, but we will see how the next year works out.

Well I'm like R2F, working full time while doing the ratings. My 4 year degree is in Graphic Design, which is the field I'm employed in right now. I currently work in the marketing/corporate communications department of an engineering firm. I do freelance also, and plan to continue doing such even as I transition to flying. That way not only do I have extra income, but I'm staying up on a field that has ever changing trends (not unlike fashion and interior design) and ever changing technology/software. If I have to go back to it, I'm good to go as far as having a current portfolio and experience. So it's almost like I'm never leaving it...completely.

Sarah

Well, since my degree (the A.S.) is an aviation degree, and the B.S. that I'm about to finish up is too (yeah, yeah, I know- stupid choice, but I didn't find JC.com in time to help me with those decisions), I guess I will be stuck in the aviation field if I lose my medical.
tongue.gif

Luckily, I have been signed off by the FAA to take my Airframe Mechanics tests, and am hoping to have that completed before Christmas, so that could be one backup (not to mention a resume booster).

Other than that, I'd go back to waiting on tables or go and be a bar tender. I had fun being a waiter, so it wouldn't kill me if I ever had to do that again.

I'm a lawyer. I make less than most people imagine lawyers make, but it's just enough to pay the flying bills, school loans, rent, car, insurance, etc. If the flying doesn't pan out, I'll stick with being a lawyer, but I'll probably do it part-time and CFI.

[ QUOTE ]
I am an expert witness and consultant (http://www.tasanet.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good outfit. I use them regularly in my cases. If I ever have to defend an aviation case, maybe I'll get to call you as an expert (or cross-examine you if you're on the other side -
blush.gif
).

I am in the middle of getting a Mechanical Engineering degree as a backup plan. My dad owns a manufacturing shop, so if the flying career doesn't pan out, I'll just head over there and fly for fun on the side.
smile.gif

My first choice is a pilot then I would choose an airline managment position, I am really into managment as well.

Log couch time and tell the wife to start signing up for overtime...no seriously, I have a degree in Human Biology and I would probably go back into research.....

I wanted to solely become a pilot, then I changed my mind.I am currently back into Information Technology and getting my IFR at an FBO. I plan to enroll into ATP to go up to my commercial rating in case an offer I can't refuse comes along as a pilot.
But right now flying is a very passionate hobby of mine.

I'm doing the full time work while getting the time in route. Right now, full time work is bartending, but I hope to have a job soon selling advertising, which is what I used to do before I got laid off.

It is okay work and it pays the bills and gives me a little spare change to pay for flying and to save money for those $12K a year instructor days that will be in my future.

I have my degree plus a lot of experience in Nuclear Power. Thats probably where I would go if it came to it(I hate nuclear Power) Once I went back to that, i think I would work on being a Dentist.

Plan C of course is to become the Ultimate Fighting Champion

laugh.gif

Back