Do you have a back up plan?

[ QUOTE ]
I have my degree plus a lot of experience in Nuclear Power. Thats probably where I would go if it came to it(I hate nuclear Power) Once I went back to that, i think I would work on being a Dentist.

Plan C of course is to become the Ultimate Fighting Champion

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

God, I'm showing my age now, but do you folks remember "Say Anything" where John Cusack says, "well, there's this sport called kick boxing, which most people haven't heard of yet. But I think it has potential and so do I."

Or am I just showing my age. And what the hell ever happened to the woman from that movie, Iona Skye?

Am working on my graduate degree full time in Biology and am paid a small stipend. Working part time along with some help from Loans, I hope to have all my ratings and be instructing part time by the time I graduate in 3-4 yrs.

I'm a full time youth ministry volunteer and part time airline pilot....my second job pays a lot better.

If I had to quit my airline gig, I'd retire (I'm 42) to part time flight instructing and maybe get a job working at a youth group home get a job in youth counseling.

I used to be enrolled (UND) to get a 4 year aero degree and it was pilot or bust. That was before I had any outside input (JC and Flightinfo). If you go balls to the wall for being a pilot and just a pilot you will burn out from all the pressure to make the career work. So right now I am a CFI at the local FBO ,(where I got my rating) in the ANG, and since now the state pays the tuition and the gov pays me $750 after taxes a month(gi bill plus drill pay)to go to school, I dont have to rush through and get an online aero degree. I want to be a military pilot but if that falls through then an airline pilot, if that doesn't work I will be a 3rd grade teacher and CFI on weekends and summers, if that doesnt work, my athletic ability and military experience should help me land a job as a fireman, if that doesn't work out, then an airplane mechanic, if that doesn't pan out ......then probably some form of missionary work.
But when I only had the pilot career option I was worrying ALL the time about the industry and finances, when you have other options there is less pressure and you perform better in every aspect of whatever you are doing.

I teach 28 kids how to read, write, and do cool stuff with numbers all day. I teach big kids how to fly airplanes at night and on weekends.

My backup plan is to become a rock star and be featured on VH1's "One Hit Wonders" with my current band.

I think if all else fails, Ill apply for the job of quality control at Ben and Jerrys or become a professional mattress tester (honestly).

Happy Flying!

[ QUOTE ]
or become a professional mattress tester (honestly).

Happy Flying!

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe. Matress testing, an honest profession
wink.gif

A friend in college 'worked' part-time testing mattress at Sleepy's. I was thinking I would look for such job with a hotel chain (preferably in the Caribbean).

Happy Flying!

In late March when we heard that Delta was (illegally in my opinion, but don't get me started) invoking force majure and furloughing more pilots due to the 'war emergency' my husband and I seriously thought he was in danger of furlough. (It's bad enough that I'm furloghed, we'd be out of our home instantly if he got furloughed too.) In May, at 8 months pregnant, I took an accelerated course to become an Illinois state licensed real estate appraiser, I passed the state test July 1st, and had the baby July 10th! Turns out Delta stopped the furloughs, and my DH ended up 91 people off the bottom of the list. Sliding down the ladder, but hanging on.

[ QUOTE ]
In late March when we heard that Delta was (illegally in my opinion, but don't get me started) invoking force majure and furloughing more pilots due to the 'war emergency' my husband and I seriously thought he was in danger of furlough. (It's bad enough that I'm furloghed, we'd be out of our home instantly if he got furloughed too.) In May, at 8 months pregnant, I took an accelerated course to become an Illinois state licensed real estate appraiser, I passed the state test July 1st, and had the baby July 10th! Turns out Delta stopped the furloughs, and my DH ended up 91 people off the bottom of the list. Sliding down the ladder, but hanging on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been hearing some rumors of a recall later on this year, but nothing verifiable.

The best advice my Dad gave me when I was considering Aviation as a career was to first learn a trade. He reasoned that if I ever fell upon hard times a tradesman skill would always be usefull. I went on to become a plumber / Heating and airconditioning mechanic for about 10 years as I built up this aviation thing. Thank God I haven't had to go back, but in the mean time I have never had to call a plumber out to my house either.

Back