Do the high altitude controller's have real time access to the actual altitude of an airplane?

Corporate Pilot

Do the high altitude controller's have real time access to the actual altitude of an airplane? Not what the mode C is telling you but what actual altitude the airplane is at?

With ADSB once fully implemented two of the things controllers will be able to see is indicated airspeed and altitude if your airplane is so equipped ADSB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With ADSB once fully implemented two of the things controllers will be able to see is indicated airspeed and altitude if your airplane is so equipped ADSB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this is exactly correct.

@Capt. Chaos can you clarify this? Because I didn't think IAS was pumped into the UAT.

ADS-B will report your altitude in real time but correct for a standard altimeter. Also, ERAM (en route radar) is only programed to alert the controller if altitude is off by 150 or more feet. Knowing everyone's exact altitude all the time would be pointless and distracting.

There are pilots out there that think with the new RVSM rules, ADS-B, they can just go up there and ATC will tell them if they are off altitude. These are airplanes that are not approved under the old rules. I am wondering if ATC has the ability to see if the airplane is actually off altitude or only have mode C data.

Several of us have said that the new rules only change the LOA requirements. Some say that they can just go up there and ATC will tell them if their altimeter system is off from the ADS-B data. Just telling them the new rules only do away with the LOA does not work. They just quote the new rules, which is poorly written about how meet the requirements.

Last edited:
There are pilots out there that think with the new RVSM rules, ADS-B, they can just go up there and ATC will tell them if they are off altitude. These are airplanes that are not approved under the old rules. I am wondering if ATC has the ability to see if the airplane is actually off altitude or only have mode C data.

So you busted an altitude in a non ADSB airplane

So you busted an altitude in a non ADSB airplane
I want to post something about you being an a@#$$ but will not do it, ok maybe I did. :) I have never been in RVSM altitudes without an LOA! Just trying to stop other pilots from being up there with us and being off altitude.

Last edited:
This is what has been posted on another website.

"Where is the rule that requires aircraft certification?

Section 9 is very clear. You can fly in RVSM if you have this equipment. Period.

It doesn't say if you have this equipment which has been certified, or acceptable to the administrator.

The rule is the rule."

This is what has been posted on another website.

"Where is the rule that requires aircraft certification?

Section 9 is very clear. You can fly in RVSM if you have this equipment. Period.

It doesn't say if you have this equipment which has been certified, or acceptable to the administrator.

The rule is the rule."

I've been reading about this as well, and frankly I'm inclined to think that ADS-B allows RVSM operations at first glance once the proposed order takes effect. We've been talking about this with regard to the PC12 to go to FL300 and suck just a little less fuel.

I'm ok with this, I'd imagine a certified ADS-B unit broadcasting altimetry to ATC is as good as whatever stuff they we're using 20 years ago.

Back