Do I need to get Complex and Hight Perf before I can work on my multi?

AidanHomer

I'm a recently licensed 17 year old ASEL private pilot. In an interesting turn of events, I recently became the owner of a PA-34-200t. I'm going to work on my multi rating in this aircraft, but my question is:

Do I need to get my Complex and High Performance ratings in a non-twin engine aircraft, or can these rating be received through training in a multi engine aircraft at the same time that I'm working on my multi rating?

Thanks for the input.

I'm a recently licensed 17 year old ASEL private pilot. In an interesting turn of events, I recently became the owner of a PA-34-200t. I'm going to work on my multi rating in this aircraft, but my question is:

Do I need to get my Complex and High Performance ratings in a non-twin engine aircraft, or can these rating be received through training in a multi engine aircraft at the same time that I'm working on my multi rating?

Thanks for the input.

Complex and High Performance are both endorsements rather than ratings. Your instructor will sign off your complex endorsement when you become proficient at it (regardless of what class of aircraft it's in), and before he sends you to your multi checkride. High performance, only if the engines are over 200hp.

That is quite the turn of events. Good luck with maintenance and insurance.

Complex and High Performance are both endorsements rather than ratings. Your instructor will sign off your complex endorsement when you become proficient at it (regardless of what class of aircraft it's in), and before he sends you to your multi checkride. High performance, only if the engines are over 200hp.

That is quite the turn of events. Good luck with maintenance and insurance.
This.

Understand the difference between "ratings" (which are printed by the FAA on the back of your pilot certificate) and "endorsements" (which are signed by a CFI in your logbook).

If the airplane you are training in is complex and/or high performance (an engine more than 200 HP, not multiple engines added together; not all multis are high performance), your instructor will give you the appropriate endorsements before you solo (if you do) or take the chrckride.

There's no requirement to have them before training in them. And single vs twin is irrelevant.

A Seneca II is rated at 200hp/side at sea level, and 210hp/side at 15,000 feet. That extra 10hp qualifies it as a high performance airplane.

A Seneca II is rated at 200hp/side at sea level, and 210hp/side at 15,000 feet. That extra 10hp qualifies it as a high performance airplane.

Which also means he's going to need oxygen for the training, too, right?

Edit: He will, however, be required to obtain a high altitude endorsement for the airplane because it's ceiling is above FL250.

Back